PDA

View Full Version : 65

ice box
01-Jan-06, 03:24
Do you still think you will be working at the age of 65?

landmarker
02-Jan-06, 17:25
Almost certainly not. I am contemplating this particular milestone like an old sailor, returning from a long voyage would contemplate his home port.

My father died at 56, my mother two years later at the same age. I therefore take nothing for granted but by the year 2016 I'll have been working for almost forty nine years.

I have already had enough.

Hopefully I shall be able to move to an area where lack of employment opportunities is a complete irrelevance to my wife & I.

Alan

ywindy
01-Feb-06, 00:41
Alan
Get a grip and start thinking positively, seems to me you are wishing your next ten or eleven years away!
ywindy

Saveman
01-Feb-06, 13:38
Do you still think you will be working at the age of 65?

I hope so!

Whitewater
01-Feb-06, 15:14
Alan
Get a grip and start thinking positively, seems to me you are wishing your next ten or eleven years away!
ywindy

I don't think Alan is wishing his life away, no matter what your job is there comes a time when you have had enough. Life is too short not to have some quality time after you retire. It is after you retire that you can at last get round to doing many of the things you wanted to do when you were younger but either didn't have the money or the time.

After your family has gone and are standing on their own two feet, that is when you can relax and do the things you want to do.

The only snag about retirement is not to leave it too late or you may not have the health to enjoy it or worse you may be one of the many unfortunate people who die long before they ever reach retirement age, that is sad really to think that you work hard all your life and are not fit or are not here to have some fun afterwards.

I am enjoying every minute of mine and hope to do so for many years yet.

golach
01-Feb-06, 15:28
I've just reach 65 a few months ago, and after working for 50 years of my life I thought great I can lie about all day and help / annoy Mrs G. that lasted 3 months. Since then I have had two part time casual jobs working in Saisburys and Asda. Now I have just heard I have been accepted to take part on a course to become a tour guide on Edinburghs city tour buses. I dont know if I will pass but I hope I do. I am enjoying working after 65

Whitewater
01-Feb-06, 15:34
Thats good golach if that is something completely different from your work. It will be a very relaxing and enjoyable job and you will be able to have great great 'Crack' with the tourists. A job like that is as good as a tonic. Enjoy it.

cuddlepop
01-Feb-06, 15:46
Landmarker,Change your job,my other half sounded just like you 40 going on 65.
Your wasted on the road what would you really like to do?:grin:

Sporran
01-Feb-06, 16:36
I've just reach 65 a few months ago, and after working for 50 years of my life I thought great I can lie about all day and help / annoy Mrs G. that lasted 3 months. Since then I have had two part time casual jobs working in Saisburys and Asda. Now I have just heard I have been accepted to take part on a course to become a tour guide on Edinburghs city tour buses. I dont know if I will pass but I hope I do. I am enjoying working after 65

Golach, good for you! I hope you pass, I think you'd make a great tour guide! :D

Health allowing, hubby and I will most likely have to work at least part time, after the age of 65. We'll still have mortgage payments, and our OAP's aren't going to be that great. Besides which, keeping active keeps you young, and it's good to be out and about with other folk, no matter what your age!

paris
01-Feb-06, 16:42
Golach, Hope you get the tour guide job, could be alot of fun. Me i will be working till the day i die as im an at home mum ,nan, wife, dogs body ect LOL

landmarker
01-Feb-06, 20:04
Landmarker,Change your job,my other half sounded just like you 40 going on 65.
Your wasted on the road what would you really like to do?:grin:

It's too late to change I'm afraid. I'm far too difficult and awkward a cuss to play the corporate game. My job means I'm left alone to get on with it.I seldom drive more than forty miles in a day. I read the paper from cover to cover, sleep for an hour or two a day and listen to the radio when I'm awake. I do not have a vivid enough imagination to write fiction. I could handle the words, but could not invent the plot. I have a scant knowledge of many things but in depth knowledge of nowt.

Other avenues might include working with the public or being a carer.? Nah, not for me. We have a small wad of capital (modest) I could franchise or buy a truck and graft my butt off for next to nowt. Nah.

Roll on 65, I hope I make it, many men dont, especially those from working class homes. In the meantime I'll drink red wine, enjoy my grandchild, sound off on 'ere and have some great holidays looking at property up there.

Luckily I have a wife who understands me.

p.s. Golach: your tour guide job sounds fantastic!! I could do that a couple of days a week.

krieve
01-Feb-06, 22:11
I hope i will be working when i reach 65 got a good few years yet lol only time will tell.

Doolally
01-Feb-06, 22:34
By the look of things, most people my age will be working way past 65 to collect a state pension. Looks like 67 as a minimum.

Do I want to be working at 65? Well, I'd like to do something, but just to occupy myself and collect some beer money.

Sounds like Golach has it pretty sewn up.

daviddd
01-Feb-06, 22:49
I may well work up to 65 looking at my poor pension prospects. Mind you, I do mostly enjoy my job, working up in the N of Scotland has its compensations, I can get out and about across the north when I need to. And the money's not bad, got lotsa freedom to do the job my way, no one breathing down my neck. I just do what I can to keep fit and healthy and hopefully even if I stay on to 65 I will still have a good few years left....

Bobinovich
02-Feb-06, 11:19
The way I see it I'd like to continue working Self Employed as long as is necessary - i.e. until the kids are earning and settled, and mortgage/debts are paid off - and then reduce my hours gradually so I can spend quality time with my other half, doing some DIY and travelling a bit.

However I can't ever see me giving up completely. I enjoy my job - certain aspects more than others - and I wouldn't like to let down my established customer base. Saying that, said customer base will change as time goes on so maybe I'll be less inclined to worry about letting them down as things progress.

We'll have to wait and see - too many years to go to think about it just now!!!

Greenrunner
02-Feb-06, 14:14
Hopefully most of me will still be working, a few bits showing signs of wear and tear @57

Alice in Blunderland
02-Feb-06, 14:27
You certainly dont look 65 if you feel like working on the its up to you good on you .Cant wait to see you as a tour guide do you get to wear a uniform I love a man in unifrom:lol: I hope not to be working after 65 but will see when I get there.

golach
02-Feb-06, 15:59
By the look of things, most people my age will be working way past 65 to collect a state pension. Looks like 67 as a minimum.

Do I want to be working at 65? Well, I'd like to do something, but just to occupy myself and collect some beer money.

Sounds like Golach has it pretty sewn up.

How well you ken me Doolally :lol: I'm just doing it from my beer money, and till stop Mrs G throttling me, she says I have reached the end of HER tether, I never kent owld wifes can still be menopausal at her age, we live and LEARN us men. Its a good job we are adaptable, but that comes with 43 years of marriage, eh Experience ye canna replace it :evil

The Enigma
03-Feb-06, 01:52
Will I still be working at 65??? I'm in my late 20s now, and with increased life expectancy, improved healthcare, etc, I can imagine by the time I reach retirememt age it will of been upped to 70... Well, whatever the retirement age ends up being, I can imagine I will still be working at it, unless of course I win the lottery (one can dream....) :grin:

callum
03-Feb-06, 02:52
have to have two children under five and me at fifty four so no hope of early retirement

lassieinfife
03-Feb-06, 10:27
I hope to retire at 65.... 10 yrs to go ,cant see me going back to my own job,cook in a busy NHS hospital , but might try for few hours work a week ........lollypop lady:) ???????....mmmmmmmm i wonder lol:lol: