PDA

View Full Version : Central Heating installation

Dog-eared
03-Sep-08, 21:49
I know most water central heating systems run the water pipes below the floor but would routing them via the loft work ??
I've got a Charnwood multi fuel stove with backboiler and six radiators but the house layout is very convoluted.
sems simpler to go via the direct loft route.

Welcomefamily
03-Sep-08, 21:55
would that not make you pump have to work harder?

goldenguernsey
03-Sep-08, 22:31
It should work OK through a manifold in the loft.
We just had a Charnwood multifuel stove fitted, we have 10 radiators and could fry eggs on them they're that hot. It'll be cosy in the winter though.

Dog-eared
03-Sep-08, 22:41
Aye, nice and toasty - but with a good pump OK ?
But if power fails can the open failsafe rad iator get rid of enough heat to stop the system boiling up.

Sapphire2803
04-Sep-08, 08:21
Ours runs off of a Rayburn and the pipes go through the loft. The rayburn heats the hot water first (tank in loft). Then when the water reaches 60°C It switches over to heating. I'm not sure about power cuts etc, but I will ask Hubby later. I can't see how ours would be a problem though, if there was a power cut and we were out, the fire would go out after a while. If we were home we would just run the hot tap for a while.

Kevin Milkins
04-Sep-08, 08:22
Aye, nice and toasty - but with a good pump OK ?
But if power fails can the open failsafe rad iator get rid of enough heat to stop the system boiling up.

Depends on how the system fills.
If you have an open system with a tank in the loft it will expand into that and go out the over flow then refill itself by gravity.
I am not a plumber but that is how my old system used to work with a multi fuel.

Sapphire2803
04-Sep-08, 08:24
Depends on how the system fills.
If you have an open system with a tank in the loft it will expand into that and go out the over flow then refill itself by gravity.
I am not a plumber but that is how my old system used to work with a multi fuel.

According to Hubby, that's how ours works too :D

Bad Manners
04-Sep-08, 08:42
Thheir is no reason whatsoever that your system cannot run through the loft. You would need a pump of suitable force to circulate the water and you will reguire 1 radiator to be allways switched on most people have this in the bathroom or the one closest to the boiler this is a saftey precausion
should the power fail this one radiator will stop the system from failing.
Hope this is of some help.