PDA

View Full Version : Caithness Word

scrabster view
03-Sep-08, 16:05
Can anybody tell me what a "silkie" is - my daughter has this question in her homework.

Sapphire2803
03-Sep-08, 16:13
Well, according to Caithness.org (http://www.caithness.org/dialect/caithnesss.htm) it's a seal :D

scotsboy
03-Sep-08, 16:18
Wee bit more than a seal. A selkie can turn from seal to human.

Thumper
03-Sep-08, 16:18
A selkie is a child that was left on the shore wrapped in a seal skin,some say she is half woman half seal others that she was a witch of some sort,there is an entry on wiki about it x

teenybash
03-Sep-08, 16:48
A Selkie/Silkie is a fairy of the sea. They love to come to sing and dance in the moonlight. They take off their seal skin and hide it....for if it were to be found by someone, until they got it back, they could never return to the sea. There are many tales of Selkies within highland folklore.:)

trix
03-Sep-08, 17:04
one silkie, while she wis dancin under 'e moonlite got her skin stolen by a bad man [evil]

she wis in dispair when all her silkie buddies swam back off til sea an began til cry....

'e bad man took her in and she ended up marryin him an hevin a son.

however, tho content wi her son she was never happy as she mist her sea life an her pals. one day when 'e biygie wis 10 he wis oot fixin 'e roof. he came across 'e seal skin an took it doon til his mam and asked her aboot'ed.

when she seen 'e skin she wis overjoyed an all her memories came floodin back. she kissed her son on 'e foreheid an jumped intil 'e skin.

she swam off oot til sea an 'e biygie never seen her again :(

however, she came back every single nite an left a fishy on 'e beach for 'e bairn an his dad.

it wis left til 'e faither til explain what hed happened all 'at years ago....

Ricco
03-Sep-08, 20:06
there used to be a wee book called 'E' Silkie Man', or something like that. Lovely poem.

Melancholy Man
03-Sep-08, 20:39
Well, according to Caithness.org (http://www.caithness.org/dialect/caithnesss.htm) it's a seal :D

In the same way that Moby Dick was a whale.

dirdyweeker
04-Sep-08, 14:18
I remember part of the lyrics from a song with the lines "she is the Silkie of Dunnet Sands, far away on this our land."
Unfortunately, when googled I find no trace of it. But, I do remember when younger being told it was fairy of the sea, half human and half seal.
Good luck to your daughter in her homework.....and if anyone can locate the words to my song from yesteryear, great!