PDA

View Full Version : Metallica - Death Magnetic

Gizmo
03-Sep-08, 15:37
Well, Death Magnetic leaked last night after some dozy French shop sold some copies 10 days early, Lars has even said that as it's only 10 days from release they are not bothered as it's just 'How things are' these days.....changed days indeed for Mr Ulrich...lol

For me personally Metallica haven't put out a truly great album since 'And Justice For All', that is untill now, excuse the terrible pun but Death Magnetic is Some Kind Of Monster :) a truly fantastic Metallica album, with the only slightly weak link being the 10min instrumental 'Suicide & Redemption', it's not a bad track buy any stretch, but it's up against classics like 'Orion' & 'Call Of Ktulu' and is not in the same league as those, it's possibly a grower though.

My faith in James Hetfield has been fully restored with Death Magnetic, there is life in the old metalhead yet :)

The Pepsi Challenge
03-Sep-08, 15:50
That's a lot more like it from them. Great ticket prices they have: £5. It was £8.50 to see Pink Floyd perform The Wall in London in 1981. For shame, Tom Waits, for shame.

BazzaG
03-Sep-08, 15:54
Well, Death Magnetic leaked last night after some dozy French shop sold some copies 10 days early, Lars has even said that as it's only 10 days from release they are not bothered as it's just 'How things are' these days.....changed days indeed for Mr Ulrich...lol

For me personally Metallica haven't put out a truly great album since 'And Justice For All', that is untill now, excuse the terrible pun but Death Magnetic is Some Kind Of Monster :) a truly fantastic Metallica album, with the only slightly weak link being the 10min instrumental 'Suicide & Redemption', it's not a bad track buy any stretch, but it's up against classics like 'Orion' & 'Call Of Ktulu' and is not in the same league as those, it's possibly a grower though.

My faith in James Hetfield has been fully restored with Death Magnetic, there is life in the old metalhead yet :)

Agree there with u 100% mate.
I felt that from the Black Album they just didnt seem to have the same heart in the music but now at last a great album has been released

Gizmo
03-Sep-08, 18:18
The Black Album has some classic tracks and not really any bad tracks, but it just suffers from being un-natural sounding over produced album, and as you say, not having a lot of heart on some tracks, it was 'Stadium Metal By Numbers' really, Death Magnetic on the other hand has nearly as much passion and energy as Master Of Puppets, and it's so complex that it's verging on being prog-metal, it's not a perfect album though....as they still have Lars on drums...lol

Metalattakk
03-Sep-08, 21:11
I'm very impressed with the energy and brutality of this record. Just shows that you don't have to be teenagers to write angry music.

Am also pleased that they seem to have realised the mistakes they made with with "St Anger" and some of their previous releases. I wonder how much influence Mr Trujillo had in the direction of this album?

While it's certainly no "Master Of Puppets" or even "...And Justice For All", it's a very, very welcome return to form (at long last).

The Pepsi Challenge
04-Sep-08, 02:07
I'm very impressed with the energy and brutality of this record. Just shows that you don't have to be teenagers to write angry music.

Am also pleased that they seem to have realised the mistakes they made with with "St Anger" and some of their previous releases. I wonder how much influence Mr Trujillo had in the direction of this album?

While it's certainly no "Master Of Puppets" or even "...And Justice For All", it's a very, very welcome return to form (at long last).

Agreed. To me, Trujillo was the driving force behind Infectious Grooves and Suicidal Tendencies. A rare talent: Metallica are lucky to have him. After all, they could have ended up with Eric A instead.

Metalattakk
04-Sep-08, 02:23
Agreed. To me, Trujillo was the driving force behind Infectious Grooves and Suicidal Tendencies.

I'm sure a certain Mr Mike Muir would disagree somewhat. An integral part perhaps, but a driving force? I think not.

A superb bass player nonetheless though. Newsted isn't fit to tune his strings.

The Pepsi Challenge
04-Sep-08, 04:03
You're probably right. I've got on the wrong side of Mike Muir once before and it was a seriously unnerving experience. It's no' so bad when you're hiding behind a computer, though. I wonder if Newsted regrets leaving Metallica?

loganbiffy
04-Sep-08, 07:22

I have been waiting patiently for this new album and enjoyed the first single from it, good to hear it's wicked.

Although I am not one of the "St. Anger" haters, i actually quite liked the different approach they took to it and the likes of "Load", nothing worse than a band not progressing or indeed putting a different spin on thier music.

I liked the whole drop tuning thing they did for St. Anger, possibly because I am a fan of drop tuning, but i thought it had some great songs, just different.

Good to hear they have released, (well not quite released lol) another great album though.
And of course, they are excellent live.

guitarzan
04-Sep-08, 08:18
I would have to say i've not really disliked any of the Metallica albums as a whole but i think it would suffice to say that many of the songs on St Anger weren't their best work - and Lars' drums sounded like an upturned biscuit tin...

I have heard a few songs from the new offering though and it certainly does sound like a return to form - there's something about the sound and the atmosphere on the album - sounds really good imho

I know they gave Bob Rock the boot this time, but was it Rick Rubin they got in for production this time instead?

loganbiffy
04-Sep-08, 09:13
I would have to say i've not really disliked any of the Metallica albums as a whole but i think it would suffice to say that many of the songs on St Anger weren't their best work - and Lars' drums sounded like an upturned biscuit tin...

I have heard a few songs from the new offering though and it certainly does sound like a return to form - there's something about the sound and the atmosphere on the album - sounds really good imho

I know they gave Bob Rock the boot this time, but was it Rick Rubin they got in for production this time instead?

I'm the same mate, i don't dislike any of their work, but yes some albums are stronger and more memorable than others.

They did indeed get Rick Rubin in, a very good producer in my opinion.

zappster
04-Sep-08, 09:14
yeah I agree its the best thing they've done in years.At least Kirk gets lead breaks on this one!!haha

loganbiffy
04-Sep-08, 12:31
Aye, indeed it is very good.
Nice sound and nicely engineered too!

A few more listens before dinner time :)

Jeid
04-Sep-08, 14:09
I'm away working at the moment, but I've been looking forward to this album for a long time. It'll be one of the 1st things I download when I get home.

I used to really like the 90's stuff that Metallica did, but then I got into Puppets and RTL etc and love that sound. From what I've heard, the new album previews sounded raw and powerful. The production still didn't sound AMAZING like the Black Album, but that's not a bad thing. Rubin did his job.

As for Rob Trujillo... he apparently learnt how to play guitar properly for this album and had a lot of input to the songs. There was a video on Mission Metallica of him playing some Flamenco guitar (Hetfield was calling him "Flamingo" man!) which was outstanding.. his fingers were all over the place. He certainly adds and extra dimension to that band.

I know a lot of people hate Mr Ulrich... but I really like him. He's certainly a hero of mine.

As for St. Anger... it had some good songs. Some Kind Of Monster was an incredible insight into a band in decline. I loved it. Especially when Lars was all in James' face "I was out running this morning...." You kno the rest ;)

Can't wait for the tour. They were amazing at Wembley last year!

loganbiffy
04-Sep-08, 14:22
I'm away working at the moment, but I've been looking forward to this album for a long time. It'll be one of the 1st things I download when I get home.

I used to really like the 90's stuff that Metallica did, but then I got into Puppets and RTL etc and love that sound. From what I've heard, the new album previews sounded raw and powerful. The production still didn't sound AMAZING like the Black Album, but that's not a bad thing. Rubin did his job.

As for Rob Trujillo... he apparently learnt how to play guitar properly for this album and had a lot of input to the songs. There was a video on Mission Metallica of him playing some Flamenco guitar (Hetfield was calling him "Flamingo" man!) which was outstanding.. his fingers were all over the place. He certainly adds and extra dimension to that band.

I know a lot of people hate Mr Ulrich... but I really like him. He's certainly a hero of mine.

As for St. Anger... it had some good songs. Some Kind Of Monster was an incredible insight into a band in decline. I loved it. Especially when Lars was all in James' face "I was out running this morning...." You kno the rest ;)

Can't wait for the tour. They were amazing at Wembley last year!

Well Jeid, you will not be disappointed with this album, it is excellent to say the least.
It is kind of somewhere in between their old stuff: Puppets, Ride the Lightning, and the 90's stuff, hard to explain really.

And yes Trujillo apparently had a lot of influence on songs, arrangements and structure etc.

I watched their set at Reading this year and it was brilliant, will def be going to see them on tour.
St. Anger i personally like, it's just different.

All i can say is look forward to coming home and hearing it!

the_big_mac
04-Sep-08, 20:59
Their best album for 20 years! What a superb return to form.

This album shows the real Metallica.

moncur
07-Sep-08, 21:35
Finally pulled ma finger out to have a listen and am truly amazed. Nice big chunky guitar chords on this one and glad to hear that Lars got rid o the biscuit tin!

Jeid
08-Sep-08, 13:49
I got the album the other day. I've had a fair few listens now and I'm enjoying it. I really like the song Cyanide. Fine riffage.

Good guitar solos, great vocals!

loganbiffy
08-Sep-08, 14:14
I got the album the other day. I've had a fair few listens now and I'm enjoying it. I really like the song Cyanide. Fine riffage.

Good guitar solos, great vocals!

That's a fine choice of song.
I also really like Broken, Beat and Scarred, The Judas Kiss and Suicide and Redemption.
Great, great album.

hotrod4
08-Sep-08, 15:15
Just got mine one word--ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKK!!! !!!!.
Awesome return to form, now if only we could resurrect Bon Scott i would die a happy man!! :)

Geo
03-Dec-08, 01:22
I really like "The day that never comes." I think they must be Thin Lizzy fans.

loganbiffy
03-Dec-08, 02:35
I really like "The day that never comes." I think they must be Thin Lizzy fans.

I would think so as they did cover Whiskey In The Jar, although not a Thin Lizzy song as such, I think Metallicas' cover of it is more like Thin Lizzys' version than the traditional versions of the song.