PDA

View Full Version : Check this out!!

Bumblebee
31-Dec-05, 19:34
Hi all,
I don't know if anyone on here will have seen this already, but I'm posting it anyway as I think it's amazing! In the following paragraph, count every F, and write in with your answers. I will tell you the reasoning behind it and the answer when you've all had a go.

FINISHED FILES ARE THE RE
SULT OF YEARS OF SCIENTI
FIC STUDY COMBINED WITH
THE EXPERIENCE OF YEARS...

jm.mack
31-Dec-05, 19:37
six!......

Bumblebee
31-Dec-05, 19:44
Are you absolutely, positively, sure about that???

krieve
31-Dec-05, 19:45
6 or 5...........

DrSzin
31-Dec-05, 19:46
Yes, it's 6.

It's good though -- I got it wrong on first pass. :)

unicorn
31-Dec-05, 19:53
6 is all I see

unicorn
31-Dec-05, 19:57
Dr szin did u have 7 to begin with or am I going mad??

rich62_uk
31-Dec-05, 19:58
Two arguments with my wife later Yes I got 6 lol
Not see it before what a good one......

DrSzin
31-Dec-05, 20:03
Dr szin did u have 7 to begin with or am I going mad??No, I had 6 to start with, then somehow I counted 7 so I changed it to 7. Then I did it carefully and got 6 -- I did say I got it wrong on first pass! I didn't admit I was wrong on second pass too. It took me a few attempts to get it right. :o

I've just looked it up and I see why people get 3 or 4, but how on earth did I see 7? :confused:

badger
31-Dec-05, 20:20
6 after two recounts as suspected a trick but can't make it any different.

katarina
31-Dec-05, 20:28
6 I would say definately.

unicorn
31-Dec-05, 20:57
Has the good DR. been on the drammies lol :)

golach
31-Dec-05, 21:35
I got 6 but 7 after a recount

Moira
31-Dec-05, 21:46
I got 6 - after two recounts!

Bobinovich
31-Dec-05, 22:31
Definately 6, but the brain tends to ignore the word OF so most people will only see 3.

For those of you seeing 7 maybe the New Year juice is kicking in a bit early!

However if you take the puzzle literally the answer is NONE! The actual paragraph following the puzzle is "I will tell you the reasoning behind it and the answer when you've all had a go" which contains no F's at all - maybe that's the trick!

DrSzin
01-Jan-06, 04:36
Has the good DR. been on the drammies lol :)I'd only had one at that point! I'm pretty sure I obtained the 7 by double-counting the OF in the last line.

Yes, eight hours and very many drammies later, I now see it all as clear as day -- probably because I took in the New Year at the home of a fellow Thurso mannie for the first time in more years than I care to remember.

I'm now going to collapse in a heap before I die of Laphroaig poisoning. What was that Crayola said about spitting peat & sheep? I think I'm almost there...

Happy New Year everyone. :)

ice box
01-Jan-06, 05:43
It,s nothing .

Bumblebee
01-Jan-06, 16:46
Well done everyone! The answer is of course 6. The purpose of it is to show you (if you get three or four) that the brain cannot usually process the word 'of.'
So now I'll give you something else to think about! This may be a bit easy but I'd like to read your answers,
A man has ordered a bowl of soup in a restaurant. But he is disgusted to see that there is a fly floating in it....So he asks the waiter take it away and replace it. However, when he gets his order, he is very angry, becuse he sees, even though the fly is gone, it is the same bowl of soup. How does he know this??

unicorn
01-Jan-06, 16:49
cos the waiter replaced the fly with a different one??????

Saveman
01-Jan-06, 17:16
Well done everyone! The answer is of course 6. The purpose of it is to show you (if you get three or four) that the brain cannot usually process the word 'of.'
So now I'll give you something else to think about! This may be a bit easy but I'd like to read your answers,
A man has ordered a bowl of soup in a restaurant. But he is disgusted to see that there is a fly floating in it....So he asks the waiter take it away and replace it. However, when he gets his order, he is very angry, becuse he sees, even though the fly is gone, it is the same bowl of soup. How does he know this??

Because the fly had left its beachball behind?

Kenn
01-Jan-06, 17:31
Because he saw the waiter remove the fly.

luskentyre
01-Jan-06, 18:23
Did the man leave his spoon in the soup when the waiter took it away?

connieb19
02-Jan-06, 03:38
maybe he recognised the carrot

rich62_uk
02-Jan-06, 12:20
had he eaten half/all the soup before he called the waiter ? ....Trish.

Bumblebee
02-Jan-06, 18:57
So far all your answers have been close, but wrong. Keep trying though!!

unicorn
02-Jan-06, 19:02
because the new fly was alive and the last one was dead???????

luskentyre
02-Jan-06, 22:00
...because he'd added salt/pepper to the soup and it was still there?

Bumblebee
03-Jan-06, 00:03
Correct! luskentyre got the answer right - the man had seasoned the bowl of soup with pepper.

connieb19
03-Jan-06, 00:06
Correct! luskentyre got the answer right - the man had seasoned the bowl of soup with pepper.Thank goodness for that..now all I need to know is the solution to how many penguins came about and I might be able to sleep tonight!! LOL

luskentyre
03-Jan-06, 00:14
Thank goodness for that..now all I need to know is the solution to how many penguins came about and I might be able to sleep tonight!! LOL

Connie, if you're having trouble sleeping, you could always try counting penguins :-)