PDA

View Full Version : which church was this building?

Iffy
02-Sep-08, 16:31
Hello !
A query I have thats been bugging me for a while now! Do you know the building which houses "Sam's Removals" and "Fairways" on High Street, Wick? Well judging by the structure of it, I believe it must have been a church once. Does anyone know if this is correct and, if so, what denomination and when did it bring in the congregations?:confused

martin macdonald
02-Sep-08, 16:54
theold congregational church

Iffy
02-Sep-08, 20:11
Hi Martin Macdonald
Thanks for answering my question but do you have any more information on the "Old Congregational Church" - for example when it was decommisioned or even when it was initiated in the first place - I'm interested in the history of old buildings like that..... more info would be appreciated ?

Valerie Campbell
03-Sep-08, 18:45
Maybe there is a date on it somewhere? As you'll know, many churches and old buildings have the year of completion on them so maybe it's worth a look.

Iffy
04-Sep-08, 14:16
Hi Valerie
Thanks for tip. No I havn't thought to look for a date on building, but thats a good idea. I also had a pm from a very helpful gentleman from Stornoway who gave me some other info. too.
Thanks to you all !

dirdyweeker
04-Sep-08, 14:41
Hi Iffy, welcome to the Org
The Congregational Church in Shore Lane closed in 1963. The pipe organ was taken from it and put into the Bridge Street Church where it remains to this day (though sadly the Bridge Street Church is soon to close also.)
Good luck with your search for information. Have you tried the Wick Heritage Centre?

Mosser
04-Sep-08, 17:35
Hello !
A query I have thats been bugging me for a while now! Do you know the building which houses "Sam's Removals" and "Fairways" on High Street, Wick? Well judging by the structure of it, I believe it must have been a church once. Does anyone know if this is correct and, if so, what denomination and when did it bring in the congregations?:confused

the foundation stone was laid in November 1882 and the church opened in 1885. Before this the first Congregational Chapel was behind the BT store in Girnigoe Street, it was built in 1798 and became an artillery drill hall when the new church opened. Hope this helps.

Iffy
04-Sep-08, 22:43
I'm new to the forum on Caithness.org but can't believe how helpful people can be. The information and tips I've had about the Old Congregational Church on Shore Lane has been fantastic. It's a building I've been curious about for some time. I love old buildings and am very interested in what they once would have been and their history... so many stories to tell of times gone by! Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply to my request - much appreciated !!!