PDA

View Full Version : The Great Chip Debate.

Rheghead
31-Dec-05, 17:39
I am a bit finnicky about my chips when I go to eat out in a bar or restaurant. I am a great believer in proper chips that have been peeled and chipped that day and freshly fried. But almost everywhere we get the quick and convenient frozen variety served up. OK, there are some frozen chips that are better than others but nothing can replaced the proper chip.

I think if the chef/cook takes the time to make proper chips then he is making a statement about the quality of his meals rather than the convenience of preparation.

Sad as I am, I once timed myself peeling and chipping enough potatoes for 4, it just took a little over 5 minutes. Is that too much to wait?
(ironically I don't do chips at home now but do enjoy them! lol My version of a hair shirt I guess...)

I haven't found a pub/restaurant that do proper chips in Caithness, can anyone give info?

What is your preference?

Put 2 votes, one for eating at home and one for eating out! :)

unicorn
31-Dec-05, 17:54
Chips just dont taste like chips if not straight from eh tattie peeled at home! you put in the hard work and reep the rewards when you em with loads of salt and vinegar yummmmmmmy :)

rich62_uk
31-Dec-05, 18:12
At home where you can make a sandwich with too much butter................brb peeling, Trish.;)

Rheghead
31-Dec-05, 18:13
Before anyone picks me up on the poll choices, I know that peeling doesn't necessarily have to be part of the chipping process...:)

Saveman
31-Dec-05, 18:18
Chips straight from the hand peeled potato...all different sizes...splog of tomato sauce on the side, a scattering of salt.....perfect! :)

The chippy in Golspie does very good chips, very tasty.

Tymey
31-Dec-05, 18:26
Pity we have to travel that far for decent chips though.

Does anyone else get wound up when they go into a chippie only to be told "Just waiting on chips."

I mistakenly thought that as chip shops are FAST food establishment that kind of thing might be ready. I understand new batches need to be made, so does this only happen to me every time I go for chips?

Do I need to calm down?

Rheghead
31-Dec-05, 18:29
The worst of the worst must be those Microchips, whoever invented them needs to flogged with a bit of rusty barbed wire. Yuck!:p

Alice in Blunderland
31-Dec-05, 18:38
SMIDDY INN THRUMSTER always serve home made chips with their meals and the portions are generous I can highly recommend a visit good pub grub.

krieve
31-Dec-05, 18:48
SMIDDY INN THRUMSTER always serve home made chips with their meals and the portions are generous I can highly recommend a visit good pub grub.
It has got to be real chips they aint chips unless the are home made. You are right alice they make great chips. i am going to go and make some i am starving.

Moira
31-Dec-05, 21:38
REAL Chips every time - whether eating at home or eating out. I don't mind peeling the tatties - well actually I don't have a choice. My hubby probably has no idea that the chips on his plate start off life called tatties & are buried in the ground. Ah well ......

EDDIE
31-Dec-05, 22:25
Home made chips tastes the best even better with cheese on top.

Bobinovich
31-Dec-05, 22:34
No comparison tattie chips everytime. I've never found a frozen chip which can compare...

Julia
02-Jan-06, 00:07

The Smiddy do the best home-made chips by far!
The chippy in Golspie does great chips too, they may be of the frozen variety though!

crayola
02-Jan-06, 03:44
Hey Rheghead, what's the real point of this poll? It's obvious that almost everyone is going to choose the "straight from the potato" options, and you surely knew that. Would you like to put pressure on Caithness catering outlets? If so, then good luck, it's a worthy cause. :)

Rheghead
02-Jan-06, 09:43
Would you like to put pressure on Caithness catering outlets? If so, then good luck, it's a worthy cause. :)

That was indeed my point :) If only one chef changes his chips as a result of seeing this thread then it has been worth it.

spiggie
02-Jan-06, 18:12
Pity we have to travel that far for decent chips though.

Does anyone else get wound up when they go into a chippie only to be told "Just waiting on chips."

I mistakenly thought that as chip shops are FAST food establishment that kind of thing might be ready. I understand new batches need to be made, so does this only happen to me every time I go for chips?

Do I need to calm down?

yes i would say you need to calm down, you dont want uncooked food do you, everything has to cook you know...? Even though you think that chippies are meant to be fast food establishments they are cooking the food as fast as they can im pretty sure and i suppose it doesnt help when there is a surge of customers comming in all wanting the same thing...?

unicorn
02-Jan-06, 19:20
I dont mind waiting for food at a chip shop at all as that way I know it is freshly cooked and not dried out from sitting in the heat for an hour.

Chillie
03-Jan-06, 07:37
Charlie Ball had the best chips in Wick he used coal fired fryer's and beef dripping , which due to the eurocrat's is no longer allowed to be used.

angela5
03-Jan-06, 12:39
Homemade chips yummy, delicious on buttered rolls with loads of tomato sauce.

Saveman
03-Jan-06, 13:46
Charlie Ball had the best chips in Wick he used coal fired fryer's and beef dripping , which due to the eurocrat's is no longer allowed to be used.

Why is dripping no longer allowed to be used?

ronmck
03-Jan-06, 14:40
I agree with Dumbo. Charlie ball's chips were ace. It used to be 1/3d (in old money) for a pie supper with the pies coming from Lamberts Bakery at the top of the Black Stairs. Gosh, we must be getting old Dumbo.

connieb19
03-Jan-06, 15:08
I agree with Dumbo. Charlie ball's chips were ace. It used to be 1/3d (in old money) for a pie supper with the pies coming from Lamberts Bakery at the top of the Black Stairs. Gosh, we must be getting old Dumbo.I have to admit...they do sound yummy!!

Doleve
03-Jan-06, 18:13
Ive got a implement called a v slicer that i bought off of sky tv ages ago, i think it was about£25 and is excelllent for chiping potatoes and does so in seconds, and it can be washed in the dishwasher. It also dices etc, and saves a lot of time on all the things. before i used to have frozen chips but this saves so much time it saves me the trp t the chippie or orrible frozen ones!

tierce-de-picardie
03-Jan-06, 20:25
he he good old home made chips they are best but they are kinda nicer unpealed in a potatoe wedge kinda style i know not strictly chips but hey who cares eh

angela5
03-Jan-06, 23:44
Why is dripping no longer allowed to be used?

maybe i'm wrong but i think it's because dripping is pure animal fat

spiggie
04-Jan-06, 02:50
I was still pretty sure that they still do use animal dripping in some places?

paris
04-Jan-06, 11:13
You lot talking about my fav thing CHIPS isnt doing my new years ress any good, i know im going to fail this stupid diet again, thanks !!!!

daviddd
04-Jan-06, 14:32
I was still pretty sure that they still do use animal dripping in some places?
animal DROPPINGS by the taste of some of the local chippies lol

Fesman
06-Jan-06, 04:13
How interesting.

I have no preference for freshly made or frozen chips.

My preference lies with the type of spud used to make the chips.

Waxy potatoes are useless for the purpose.

Frozen chips are invariably made with floury potatoes and because I usually buy waxy spuds, my chips all come from a packet.

Cooked at the correct temperature (190°C) in a deep frier they invariably taste perfect.

Frozen or fresh, the quality of the end product relies entirely on the type of potato used and the cooking method employed..... nothing else.

Chillie
06-Jan-06, 04:28
How interesting.

I have no preference for freshly made or frozen chips.

My preference lies with the type of spud used to make the chips.

Waxy potatoes are useless for the purpose.

Frozen chips are invariably made with floury potatoes and because I usually buy waxy spuds, my chips all come from a packet.

Cooked at the correct temperature (190°C) in a deep frier they invariably taste perfect.

Frozen or fresh, the quality of the end product relies entirely on the type of potato used and the cooking method employed..... nothing else.

Working in the catering trade i have to admit Frozen chips work the best in pub grub fast foods etc, fresh clean oil and cooked at the right temp 190-220C , the best frozen chips i have ever used is Farm Freits.