PDA

View Full Version : Pulling threads

hotrod4
01-Sep-08, 10:50
No I am not on about catching your jumper on a nail!!.
I can see the point in pulling threads when it gets heated or downright nasty, but whats wrong with a bit of banter? Why cant we have a football section that maybe has a warning that if you are of a nervous disposition shouldnt enter! :) As a community site why cant we have it, as long as it doesnt get into petty name calling,slagging etc.
The thread that was pulled mentioned a banner, I responded with the meaning of the banner, no malice etc but now that the thread has gone people wont get the full picture(pardon the pun).
As there is an infraction system then use it on a football thread if it gets too heated etc, arent we all adults(I know kids come on too but couldnt we have an under 18 bar on adult topics,seeing as its OK to read about paedos etc,but not footie) :(

Welcomefamily
01-Sep-08, 11:24
At least they not hitting each other. :) Games such as the old firm are highly emotive but then is it any more emotive or dangerous than a peom or a piece of music which once read or heard could start the person reflecting on their life and all the isues around their life, it could lead to divorce, suicide or murder. :~( And yet we allow litrature, how often do threads touch a nerve, bring that lump to our throats or a tear to our eye.
Surely that is the whole point of a forum.

TBH
01-Sep-08, 11:27
These football threads usually end up as a slanging match between fans of the 'Old Firm.
A football sub-forum would be okay in theory but the moderators would never be done removing offending posts.

hotrod4
01-Sep-08, 11:32
These football threads usually end up as a slanging match between fans of the 'Old Firm.
A football sub-forum would be okay in theory but the moderators would never be done removing offending posts.

Agree with you partially.
But isnt that the job of the mods to remove offensive posts on EVERY thread not just football ones.I have seen more heated debates on hear about non-football subjects that are alot worse than what was on the football thread, but they are allowed to stand, why? It seems rather unfair that you can talk about murders, paedophiles,violence etc but not football!!

joxville
01-Sep-08, 11:41
But isnt that the job of the mods to remove offensive posts on EVERY thread not just football ones.I have seen more heated debates on hear about non-football subjects that are alot worse than what was on the football thread, but they are allowed to stand, why? It seems rather unfair that you can talk about murders, paedophiles,violence etc but not football!!

I agree Hotrod 4. There's a bit of a slanging match going on in the thread about an owld boat,(must admit, it's quite funny), but that doesn't appear to be regulated.

telfordstar
01-Sep-08, 12:53
I agree if it does get a bit heated them maybe it is for the best to close it but nothing beats good humorous banter. On the subject of threads i posted comments on a few and the whole thread completly disappeared and it wasnt a headed debte. One was the ford topic.

Venture
01-Sep-08, 12:58
I agree Hotrod 4. There's a bit of a slanging match going on in the thread about an owld boat,(must admit, it's quite funny), but that doesn't appear to be regulated.

Well the thread like the boat now seems to have sunk.:(

northener
01-Sep-08, 13:04
Well the thread like the boat now seems to have sunk.:(

Aye, it's not only the boat that was scuppered![lol]

Pity, I was starting to enjoy myself on that one.........

silverfox57
01-Sep-08, 13:20
where as the boat thread gone,was it pulled out to sea,or towed out,

astravxr
01-Sep-08, 14:02
sad to see the boat thread sink!!

rumour had it that the boat has been funded by the lottery and the rebuild is at the haven!!!

worth a look i say!!!

hotrod4
01-Sep-08, 14:43
I cant see the problem if the thread is "friendly banter" and doesnt descend into name calling etc.Its very easy to get a heated debate going on here, just mention the "w" word and all hell breaks loose ;).
Football supporters are well known for banter and having a wee joke with your nemesis, its quite easy to distinguish between friendly rivalry and downright nastiness, cant see why theres not a section for it, after all it would keep the General section free for all the general posts and keep the wifies happy!!

hotrod4
01-Sep-08, 14:44
I agree if it does get a bit heated them maybe it is for the best to close it but nothing beats good humorous banter. On the subject of threads i posted comments on a few and the whole thread completly disappeared and it wasnt a headed debte. One was the ford topic.

Maybe it was the wrong kind of "ford" maybe the mods thought you were having a go at the scandinavians "fjord" ;)

wifie
01-Sep-08, 14:57
I cant see the problem if the thread is "friendly banter" and doesnt descend into name calling etc.Its very easy to get a heated debate going on here, just mention the "w" word and all hell breaks loose ;).
Football supporters are well known for banter and having a wee joke with your nemesis, its quite easy to distinguish between friendly rivalry and downright nastiness, cant see why theres not a section for it, after all it would keep the General section free for all the general posts and keep the wifies happy!!

Stop bringin me into yer slanging matches - I care not a jot if you wish to discuss the beautiful game! :roll: I am a wifie who used to love watchin footie - but my OH is so into it I am bored to death wi it and it's money and posers! Mind you he is just into the footie not all the garbage that comes with it. In fact we were at a wedding at the weekend and there was very friendly banter between all the football lovers - that is the way it should be! Why can't it be so for everyone. Have to say a footie section might be good but I think it would have to be moderated by a non-biased footie loving person if there is such a thing!

hotrod4
01-Sep-08, 15:04
Stop bringin me into yer slanging matches - I care not a jot if you wish to discuss the beautiful game! :roll: I am a wifie who used to love watchin footie - but my OH is so into it I am bored to death wi it and it's money and posers! Mind you he is just into the footie not all the garbage that comes with it. In fact we were at a wedding at the weekend and there was very friendly banter between all the football lovers - that is the way it should be! Why can't it be so for everyone. Have to say a footie section might be good but I think it would have to be moderated by a non-biased footie loving person if there is such a thing!

Looks like the jobs all yours wifie ;)
It wasnt till I posted that I thought oh oh I've posted the word "wifie" please accept my most humble apologies from a miserable user.

wifie
01-Sep-08, 15:12
Looks like the jobs all yours wifie ;)
It wasnt till I posted that I thought oh oh I've posted the word "wifie" please accept my most humble apologies from a miserable user.

Blimey not a chance hotrod - I am not gonna try and keep you lot in order! Do I look that daft? Glad tho that you realise you can be a miserable owld ........ oh sorry user - misread that bit! ;)

hotrod4
01-Sep-08, 15:34
Blimey not a chance hotrod - I am not gonna try and keep you lot in order! Do I look that daft? Glad tho that you realise you can be a miserable owld ........ oh sorry user - misread that bit! ;)

Thats a pity,thought you'd keep us all in order and up to scratch,still I am sure there are plenty out there who would love to weild the big stick! ;)

catran
01-Sep-08, 18:22
Well the Cruise ship must have been one of the best viewed in a long time and it was only light hearted banter, nought to get in a ravel about. What a shame as the story was getting bigger and better all the time.

Was lovely to hear about the yellow wellies and Korky. However, someone somewhere has obviously taken umbrage, I wonder who?.

So that's:roll: it end of the saga. we wll now have to get the excitement of the football and I don't ken a thing about it.

router
01-Sep-08, 19:34
but there is a forum for sport and stuff
http://forum.caithness.org/forumdisplay.php?f=80

scorrie
01-Sep-08, 19:58
No I am not on about catching your jumper on a nail!!.
I can see the point in pulling threads when it gets heated or downright nasty, but whats wrong with a bit of banter? Why cant we have a football section that maybe has a warning that if you are of a nervous disposition shouldnt enter! :) As a community site why cant we have it, as long as it doesnt get into petty name calling,slagging etc.
The thread that was pulled mentioned a banner, I responded with the meaning of the banner, no malice etc but now that the thread has gone people wont get the full picture(pardon the pun).
As there is an infraction system then use it on a football thread if it gets too heated etc, arent we all adults(I know kids come on too but couldnt we have an under 18 bar on adult topics,seeing as its OK to read about paedos etc,but not footie) :(

I think you were partly responsible yourself for having the thread closed. Football, other than about Caithness teams is supposed to have been banned for a while now. There was an amnesty of sorts for the 2006 World Cup, and this continued into this year's European Championships.

Each and every time there is a problem with football on the org it is because of Celtic/Rangers rivalry. You admitted yourself to singing bigoted songs at matches and offered up the usual excuse about "banter"

This is not your forum, it is up to the owners to place control over the forum into the hands of moderators. Moderators decide what is acceptable. I am fed up with people who point the finger at others being the problem, when they, themselves, are willing to indulge in the singing of songs which are known to incite tension and violence. If it is classed as merely "banter" where you normally hang out, then simply go there and do your "thing" there. Don't expect it to be tolerated where a more adult and constructive input is expected.

I was briefly on an online football forum yesterday. The subject was the Old Firm game. Not only was the language foul, the comments were childish and monotonous. What ended it for me was users on each side accusing one another of being "Baby Eaters". Oh what glorious banter!!

Football on the org has to stay away from the Old Firm or face censure. Normally OK users such as yourself and Scotsboy cannot seem to resist getting a dig in at "The Keltic" and Pepsichallenge always seems to fire back from the opposite end.

Finally, "Aren't we all adults?"

No, I don't think we are on certain topics!!

The Pepsi Challenge
01-Sep-08, 20:12
I think you were partly responsible yourself for having the thread closed. Football, other than about Caithness teams is supposed to have been banned for a while now. There was an amnesty of sorts for the 2006 World Cup, and this continued into this year's European Championships.

Each and every time there is a problem with football on the org it is because of Celtic/Rangers rivalry. You admitted yourself to singing bigoted songs at matches and offered up the usual excuse about "banter"

This is not your forum, it is up to the owners to place control over the forum into the hands of moderators. Moderators decide what is acceptable. I am fed up with people who point the finger at others being the problem, when they, themselves, are willing to indulge in the singing of songs which are known to incite tension and violence. If it is classed as merely "banter" where you normally hang out, then simply go there and do your "thing" there. Don't expect it to be tolerated where a more adult and constructive input is expected.

I was briefly on an online football forum yesterday. The subject was the Old Firm game. Not only was the language foul, the comments were childish and monotonous. What ended it for me was users on each side accusing one another of being "Baby Eaters". Oh what glorious banter!!

Football on the org has to stay away from the Old Firm or face censure. Normally OK users such as yourself and Scotsboy cannot seem to resist getting a dig in at "The Keltic" and Pepsichallenge always seems to fire back from the opposite end.

Suburban subversive.

Amy-Winehouse
01-Sep-08, 20:59
By jove, the electric shreader has been busy on .org tonight, I count 3 threads gone. Pity about the cruise boat thread though it was actually interesting with some stunning pictures of sarclet in the dark & ...oh well never mind.:confused

rambo1978
01-Sep-08, 21:07
There's enough damn football content online anyhow, glad caithness.org is free of it.

hotrod4
01-Sep-08, 21:09

A typical scorrie put down. Talk about "wouldnt let it lie!".
The thread getting closed was nothing to do with me, myself and pepsi were having a conversation nothing else.

Normaly Ok users such as yourself and metalattak cannot seem to resist getting a dig at "the bigot brothers". (Can you see what I did there turned what you said in a different perspective, not nice is it!)

And who appointed you as the leader of the org? you tell me to go elsewhere and do my thing, why? Its a PUBLIC forum scorrie or havent you noticed that!!!!

That is why i said why not have a dedicated forum for football that way you can take it or leave it,nuff said. But then again you wouldnt be able to resist popping your head round the door just to have a snipe.

I love the way you take peoples words out of context and twist it to suit your own means,
its about time you got off the high horse scorrie,you must have vertigo by now! ;)

It sickens me that you like to appoint yourself as moral guardian of the org, under who's direction? Certainly not mine, glass houses and all that.

Enough said.

Peace :)

johno
01-Sep-08, 21:18
well hotrod, you have just spurred me out of retirement.
what you have just posted is one of the most open and honest post,s that i have read here on the org for a very long time.
it,s a well known fact that some members here have more right,s than other,s, no one know,s that better than i myself.
we will no doubt meet elsewhere . johno.

TBH
01-Sep-08, 21:26
But isnt that the job of the mods to remove offensive posts on EVERY thread not just football ones.I have seen more heated debates on hear about non-football subjects that are alot worse than what was on the football thread, but they are allowed to stand, why? It seems rather unfair that you can talk about murders, paedophiles,violence etc but not football!!It is the job of moderators to remove offending posts no matter what the thread is about but I would say that there is a higher occurrence of these offending posts whenever the old firm is debated.

hotrod4
01-Sep-08, 21:27
Noticed that my Neil Lennon thread was pulled as well. And all it contained was a post in SUPPORT of Neil Lennon after being attacked in Glasgow and wishing him well, just goes to show you when you try to be nice it doesnt always get the airing it deserves. If I was a Celtic fan I suppose it would be Ok to post it? :(

hotrod4
01-Sep-08, 21:31
It is the job of moderators to remove offending posts no matter what the thread is about but I would say that there is a higher occurrence of these offending posts whenever the old firm is debated.

That is true but if its offensive remove it? A bit of fairness wouldnt go amiss.I know old firm fans take their football very serious but its very easy to suspend/ban someone if they step out of line. After all whats the saying "Give him enough rope and he will hang himself"

Metalattakk
01-Sep-08, 21:32
Noticed that my Neil Lennon thread was pulled as well. And all it contained was a post in SUPPORT of Neil Lennon after being attacked in Glasgow and wishing him well, just goes to show you when you try to be nice it doesnt always get the airing it deserves. If I was a Celtic fan I suppose it would be Ok to post it? :(

I don't think it was your contribution to that thread that got it pulled....;)

hotrod4
01-Sep-08, 21:34
I don't think it was your contribution to that thread that got it pulled....;)

Oh I see, so for ONCE I am the Good guy. That doesnt happen often :)

TBH
01-Sep-08, 21:38
That is true but if its offensive remove it? A bit of fairness wouldnt go amiss.I know old firm fans take their football very serious but its very easy to suspend/ban someone if they step out of line. After all whats the saying "Give him enough rope and he will hang himself"Which is why it is easier just to have a blanket ban on any football threads not concerning Caithness. Too many would get banned because someone would say something out of line then someone else would take offence and reply in kind, it would go round and round getting nowhere, an eternal slanging match.
I have found that threads involving the national team or praising the successes of Scottish club sides in Europe have been allowed to stay up even though it is against this sites own rules.
If the banter was a litte tamer then perhaps there wouldn't be the need to have such heavy handed moderation, hell, maybe we could actually have a dedicated sub-forum to discuss the merits or otherwise of Scottish club football.
Alas, this will never happen as there are too many posters that are more than willing to allow their hackles to be raised when discussing the old firm in particular.

Nvidi4
01-Sep-08, 21:39
AYe its a case of if the face fits on here! [evil]

catran
01-Sep-08, 22:22
I am only a newcomer but I think this is my finalle Why was it pulled?

Its been the most interesting topic since a long time the cruise ship - it was like FAIRY TALE..........

Likened to the tale of the silkie man of long ago but I guess not a lot knows that tale told by their graniies and grandad's.

So disappointed as it would make a nice fable to tell the future grandchildren

TBH
01-Sep-08, 22:37
I am only a newcomer but I think this is my finalle Why was it pulled?

Its been the most interesting topic since a long time the cruise ship - it was like FAIRY TALE..........

Likened to the tale of the silkie man of long ago but I guess not a lot knows that tale told by their graniies and grandad's.

So disappointed as it would make a nice fable to tell the future grandchildrenThe cruise ship thread was a good read but didn't you think it was getting a little out of hand?
A man was accused of scuttling his boat, is that not a concern?

catran
01-Sep-08, 22:53
I did not see any accusations that the boat was being deliberately put to the bottom of the deep blue sea It would have been more worth as it turned out to be lifted on the quay and sold as firewood.

Amy-Winehouse
01-Sep-08, 23:05
Are you sure the Oceans Gift would burn??;) She was kind of damp for a bonfire .

scorrie
01-Sep-08, 23:17
Suburban subversive.

Toys oot the pram.

scorrie
01-Sep-08, 23:35
A typical scorrie put down. Talk about "wouldnt let it lie!".
The thread getting closed was nothing to do with me, myself and pepsi were having a conversation nothing else.

Normaly Ok users such as yourself and metalattak cannot seem to resist getting a dig at "the bigot brothers". (Can you see what I did there turned what you said in a different perspective, not nice is it!)

And who appointed you as the leader of the org? you tell me to go elsewhere and do my thing, why? Its a PUBLIC forum scorrie or havent you noticed that!!!!

That is why i said why not have a dedicated forum for football that way you can take it or leave it,nuff said. But then again you wouldnt be able to resist popping your head round the door just to have a snipe.

I love the way you take peoples words out of context and twist it to suit your own means,
its about time you got off the high horse scorrie,you must have vertigo by now! ;)

It sickens me that you like to appoint yourself as moral guardian of the org, under who's direction? Certainly not mine, glass houses and all that.

Enough said.

Peace :)

The Moderator who closed the thread gave this reason:-

"Football thread
This thread has been removed

Quote from rules:
'It should also be taken into consideration that certain topics like football or religion can very easily be misread and cause offence, so great care should be taken when dealing with these types of issues.'"

I would say that some of your posts came into that category.

Nobody has appointed me as anything. I am merely expressing my opinion. This is not actually a Public forum. It is owned by an Individual(s). The rules are theirs to make and you agreed to the rules when you joined. The type of bigoted songs you referred to will NOT be tolerated on Caithness.org, that is why I suggested going elsewhere for that. You will note the difference between that and telling you to leave period.

I see your response as a pure and simple rant. I don't think there is any logic or justification in it. You are having difficulty in seeing that YOU have to adapt to the Forum, the Forum does not adapt to suit YOUR desires. If you can calm down and accept that, you will get on better. Likewise, if you can see that bigoted songs are one person's banter, yet offensive to another, you would be better served.

I'll post what I see fit. As long as the moderators are happy, so am I. Don't like my style? There is an ignore button at your disposal or simply feel free to skip my input. I won't lose any sleep either way.

router
02-Sep-08, 00:23
There's enough damn football content online anyhow, glad caithness.org is free of it.
and the telly,newspapers,it's everywhere :mad:

wifie
02-Sep-08, 00:28
and the telly,newspapers,it's everywhere :mad:

money, money, money :roll:

hotrod4
02-Sep-08, 01:38

"Football thread

Quote from rules:
'It should also be taken into consideration that certain topics like football or religion can very easily be misread and cause offence, so great care should be taken when dealing with these types of issues.'"

Nobody has appointed me as anything. I am merely expressing my opinion. This is not actually a Public forum. It is owned by an Individual(s). The rules are theirs to make and you agreed to the rules when you joined. The type of bigoted songs you referred to will NOT be tolerated on Caithness.org, that is why I suggested going elsewhere for that. You will note the difference between that and telling you to leave period.

I see your response as a pure and simple rant. I don't think there is any logic or justification in it. You are having difficulty in seeing that YOU have to adapt to the Forum, the Forum does not adapt to suit YOUR desires. If you can calm down and accept that, you will get on better. Likewise, if you can see that bigoted songs are one person's banter, yet offensive to another, you would be better served.

I'll post what I see fit. As long as the moderators are happy, so am I. Don't like my style? There is an ignore button at your disposal or simply feel free to skip my input. I won't lose any sleep either way.

It seems you've missed the point (again!).
I have mentioned (once) that I sing these songs with and against my Celtic supporting mates.Its in the privacy of someones home not in public. They take (and give) as good as they get.We do it in "banter", we're still friends.
This thread was started about football threads, why have you jumped on the religion bus yet again ? I never mentioned religion you did. I was talking about football, you bring up Religion then accuse me of being bigoted!!! It seems that your spoon is being well and truly used that there cant be much left of it! :)

I do wish you would stick to the facts and not add 1+1 and get 3.

Your post: "I would say that some of your posts came into that category."

Please show me these "posts" I would dearly love to see them. As I cant seem to find them or are they only in your vivid imagination.

And as for thing being mis-read were you not the one short ago telling a fellow member that you would "crush them" in a debate and being derogatory towards them?. The cap is a big one and I think it fits. ;)

The Pepsi Challenge
02-Sep-08, 01:58

"Football thread

Quote from rules:

An Oscar-winning performance, scorrie. I'll get onto the phone and see if I can get Tom Hanks to fit it into his next movie. Failing that, Denzel Washington. That's banter, by-ra-way.

Rheghead
02-Sep-08, 10:03
I think a subscribed section for footie sounds great. If it provides an outlet for those who want to get on with it then that is fine.;)

scorrie
02-Sep-08, 10:08
It seems you've missed the point (again!).
I have mentioned (once) that I sing these songs with and against my Celtic supporting mates.Its in the privacy of someones home not in public. They take (and give) as good as they get.We do it in "banter", we're still friends.
This thread was started about football threads, why have you jumped on the religion bus yet again ? I never mentioned religion you did. I was talking about football, you bring up Religion then accuse me of being bigoted!!! It seems that your spoon is being well and truly used that there cant be much left of it! :)

I do wish you would stick to the facts and not add 1+1 and get 3.

Your post: "I would say that some of your posts came into that category."

Please show me these "posts" I would dearly love to see them. As I cant seem to find them or are they only in your vivid imagination.

And as for thing being mis-read were you not the one short ago telling a fellow member that you would "crush them" in a debate and being derogatory towards them?. The cap is a big one and I think it fits. ;)

I am seeing the point fine enough. You are not even LOOKING at my point as you are blinkered by the belief that bigotry behind closed doors is acceptable.

Some points as I leave this "debate"

1. I cannot show you what no longer exists!!

2. It is impossible to discuss why a thread was pulled without addressing the reason it was pulled. That is simple logic, so it is a bit churlish to accuse me of bringing religion into things. You are letting emotion cloud reasoned response here.

3. I have had four positive reps agreeing with my input on this thread. I think that shows that there is more than my "vivid" imagination at work here. When you can accept that, you might be better equipped to understand why the original thread was pulled.

4. I am always confident that my reasoned answers will overcome a one-liner in a debate. That is why I countered Scotsboy's "In your humble opinion" lazy effort the way that I did. I believe that it "stung" him into a proper response. Going back a couple of years, I recall Scotsboy admitting here that he "Hated Keltic with a passion". I don't think that is a healthy or sensible attitude. I feel it is fair to point out where I see certain members/comments that remain as a hindrance to sensible and constructive debate about Scottish Football on the Org.

You are simply repeating the same excuse over and over, so it is over and out for me on this thread. If I have a big cap, can I please leave a paraphrase of another saying, in the way of advice:-

"If the crap fits, wear it" ;)

hotrod4
02-Sep-08, 11:24
I am seeing the point fine enough. You are not even LOOKING at my point as you are blinkered by the belief that bigotry behind closed doors is acceptable.

Some points as I leave this "debate"

1. I cannot show you what no longer exists!!

2. It is impossible to discuss why a thread was pulled without addressing the reason it was pulled. That is simple logic, so it is a bit churlish to accuse me of bringing religion into things. You are letting emotion cloud reasoned response here.

3. I have had four positive reps agreeing with my input on this thread. I think that shows that there is more than my "vivid" imagination at work here. When you can accept that, you might be better equipped to understand why the original thread was pulled.

4. I am always confident that my reasoned answers will overcome a one-liner in a debate. That is why I countered Scotsboy's "In your humble opinion" lazy effort the way that I did. I believe that it "stung" him into a proper response. Going back a couple of years, I recall Scotsboy admitting here that he "Hated Keltic with a passion". I don't think that is a healthy or sensible attitude. I feel it is fair to point out where I see certain members/comments that remain as a hindrance to sensible and constructive debate about Scottish Football on the Org.

You are simply repeating the same excuse over and over, so it is over and out for me on this thread. If I have a big cap, can I please leave a paraphrase of another saying, in the way of advice:-

"If the crap fits, wear it" ;)

Only 4 good reps I got 6!!!!!!

Colin Manson
02-Sep-08, 11:28
We have covered this many times in the past, I'm not going to repeat it again.

There will never be a football section created.