PDA

View Full Version : rail link over the dornoch firth

katarina
30-Dec-05, 22:12
Would more people use the train if the journey was shorter? I certainly would. Maybe the cost would be justified eventually.

nicnak
30-Dec-05, 22:16
your right Katrina the journey is too long, if I have to make the journey down south I either catch the train at Helmsdale or go by coach.

landmarker
31-Dec-05, 00:21
How much is it from Wick to Inverness - day return?

Alan

Tymey
31-Dec-05, 11:01
I love taking the train to Inverness if I have time but what I loathe about it is the ridiculous Wick to Georgemas, Georgemas to Thurso, Thurso to Georgemas, Georgemas to South bit. That adds about 45 mins onto the journey alone. Formerly the two trains joined and split at Georgemas which cut a wee bit of time of the journey.

Another bit which annoys me is the 10/15 mins wait in Lairg for the northbound/southbound staff to cross over. It is not the delay which annoys but rather that it is not mentioned in the timetable.

FirstScotrail should just tell us how long the journey will be. We are grown ups we can take it. Serious investment is needed.

*End of rant*

spiggie
31-Dec-05, 11:33

Alan

Don't know. Do they still do student rail passes? I used to get one on the bus but they've stopped it.

badger
31-Dec-05, 12:43
It's a really beautiful journey if that's what you want, but if all you need is to get from a to b then it's hopeless. Where else is it quicker to travel not just by car but by bus? Needs serious money spent on it then more people would use it. I'd much rather travel by train but it's not just practical. Also need car parks by the stations. Wish they'd stop discussing and just get on and do it.

unicorn
31-Dec-05, 12:48
I thought they had recently started to upgrade the tracks so the trains could go faster?

daviddd
31-Dec-05, 12:57

Alan
£17.50 cheapest day return, half that if you have a Highland Railcard (these cost £7.50 and last a year).

Train leaves Wick 0622 arr Inverness 1037
Dep Inverness 1747 arr Wick 2204,
that's weekdays and Sat, Sun is different.

daviddd
31-Dec-05, 12:59
I thought they had recently started to upgrade the tracks so the trains could go faster? Thery have indeed fitted some continuous track for a few miles, although the ride is smoother here there's little gain in time.

unicorn
31-Dec-05, 13:09
It does seem kind of daft that the trains can actually go fast but the tracks cant take it.

daviddd
31-Dec-05, 17:09
I think possibly the 100-year-old tracks were due for replacement. I was pleased though as it appears to confirm the continuing viability of the railway up here, it was quite a big investment.

Alice in Blunderland
31-Dec-05, 17:41
I think the powers that be should just bite the bullet and invest in the rail link I love the train but it is too long from Wick to Inverness with all the other investments going on in this area you would think that they would want to capitalise on this.Imagine how much goods could be transferred from the road to the train.I would use the train more often if the time of the journey was less.