PDA

View Full Version : Large Spider Found In House In Shebster 2005

Seonaid
31-Aug-08, 21:23
Hello,

I have recently discovered two large spiders in my home in Wick, I have found a thread which was posted on Caithness.org in September 2005, the thread shows a picture of an identical spider to which i have found, the picture was taken by Erinn Mackay.

If anyone has information on this spider i would really like to hear from you as i have two young children at home.

Thanks

TBH
31-Aug-08, 21:24
Hello,

I have recently discovered two large spiders in my home in Wick, I have found a thread which was posted on Caithness.org in September 2005, the thread shows a picture of an identical spider to which i have found, the picture was taken by Erinn Mackay.

If anyone has information on this spider i would really like to hear from you as i have two young children at home.

ThanksWhere's the thread with the pics?

Seonaid
31-Aug-08, 21:33
I done a search from caithness.org`s home page and it came up.

If you go to caithness.orgs home page and in the google search box type in large spider found in Shebster it will give you the link.

Thanks

alanatkie
31-Aug-08, 21:39
http://www.caithness.org/fpb/september2005/photogallery/index.php?gallery=3

teenybash
31-Aug-08, 21:39
Not a very good pic but, could be a Housewife spider which can grow to quite a size. They have a pattern on their back and are quite harmless and enjoy bluebottles to nibble on. They pose no threat to humans and I have one who appears in my bathroom regularly and if she is in the bath, I simply put her on a bit of tissue and put her out of harms way.......my grandaughter calls her Sarah Spider.:Razz

Welcomefamily
31-Aug-08, 21:55
I think it is a large Tegenaria gigantea which is a member of the house spider group with the Tegenaria domestica being the normal one. It is not harmful.

teenybash
01-Sep-08, 18:28
I think it is a large Tegenaria gigantea which is a member of the house spider group with the Tegenaria domestica being the normal one. It is not harmful.

Same spider, fancier name,,,,,we always knew them as the houswife spider, helping us housewives get rid of thos pesky flies. :D

Julia
01-Sep-08, 19:27
That thing is enormous, I would die if I saw that in my house!! I came across one about 2cm long the other week and it was bad enough

elamik@tiscali.co.uk
01-Sep-08, 21:32
Ive recently evicted two of these from my lounge, both appeared on the same day. I wonder if they were a Mr & Mrs and thought they had found a nice breeding area.

liz19
01-Sep-08, 21:36
me too I am petrified of spiders and that is huge!!!!!

That thing is enormous, I would die if I saw that in my house!! I came across one about 2cm long the other week and it was bad enough

Kenn
01-Sep-08, 21:37
Thanks for the id. I have one that scuttles the sitting area he's caller. Errbut....'cos my OH keeps saying ," Errr but will you get rid of that thing!"
Needless to say I have not done so as I am quite fond of spiders they are better than any fly trap.

rambo1978
01-Sep-08, 21:41
Damn horrific creatures, sorry to the spider lovers but if I found such a beast it wouldn't last long in my house.

Kenn
01-Sep-08, 21:43
What with the name Rambo an arachnid terrifies you?

rambo1978
01-Sep-08, 21:45
What with the name Rambo an arachnid terrifies you?

Absolutely terrifies me Lizz.

horseman
01-Sep-08, 21:50
Not a very good pic but, could be a Housewife spider which can grow to quite a size. They have a pattern on their back and are quite harmless and enjoy bluebottles to nibble on. They pose no threat to humans and I have one who appears in my bathroom regularly and if she is in the bath, I simply put her on a bit of tissue and put her out of harms way.......my grandaughter calls her Sarah Spider.:Razz
We call them big freds in our house,an comment that they must be putting a lot of nasty old fly's away to get that big. Seems to work with all our youngsters.;)

Kevin Milkins
02-Sep-08, 00:30
Sorry, I don't reconize the spider but the ruler I got thrashed about the head several times at school by my teacher.
Its a Skatter Resistant that can grow up to 12 inches. So watch out:lol:

jings00
02-Sep-08, 00:39
Sorry, I don't reconize the spider but the ruler I got thrashed about the head several times at school by my teacher.
Its a Skatter Resistant that can grow up to 12 inches. So watch out:lol:

LOL!

i don't mind spiders, wouldn't want em ON me, but i leave em to it.

KCERINN
02-Sep-08, 07:03
Hi

I can hardly believe it was in 2005 I found that huge spider! Thankfully I havent come across another one like it.

If I remember correctly, the Vet said it was a house spider. Around the same time, there was an article on the BBC news about the number of spiders on the go, and the size of them.

Regards

Erinn

brokencross
02-Sep-08, 07:34
Must be a plague of them, just had a scream from upstairs, dashed up and my wife said "There is a big thing staring at me from the bath" and sure enough it was "one of them". Like teenybash I also used a tissue to remove the beast, but was not quite so gentle.

porshiepoo
02-Sep-08, 07:49
Sorry if there's spider lovers reading this but if I saw something like that anywhere near me it's getting squished! Either that or the dog or cat can 'take it out'. :eek:

Seonaid
02-Sep-08, 11:18
Thanks to Alanatkie for adding the link for me as i am not that up to date with this yet. :D

I would just like to Thank you all for your reply's and thank goodness it wasn't a foreigner i took home from my holidays. :roll:

Hopefully that will be me free of anymore creepy crawly's

Seonaid

Welcomefamily
02-Sep-08, 12:11
They will not hurt, use two pieces of paper and carefully ease the spider onto the paper and then rest the paper on your arm, take a few deep breath and then let the spider run off your arms towards you hand and on to a surface. Its more scared of you.

brokencross
02-Sep-08, 12:55
carefully ease the spider

Most spiders I have ever had any dealings with, tend to run off into cover as I approach so can't imagine them waiting for me to ease them anywhere.

My daughters are scared stiff, nay petrified of spiders and if I don't produce evidence of a spider having been "dealt with" they are not happy.

Welcomefamily
02-Sep-08, 13:15
But if it was in the bath it can run far, as you approach it with paper at a point it will freeze before it dashes for it.

teenybash
02-Sep-08, 13:22
If you allow you spider to be come a resident, as I do and they are usually out of sight....they do become used to being lifted and deposited out of the bath.....they are harmless creatures that, like us, share the planet.:)