PDA

View Full Version : St. Claires Hotel Castletown

lin
31-Aug-08, 16:46
St Claires hotel in Castletown does a lovely carvery. The Tomato soup was really lovely. The choice of main meals were superb, and the chefs couldn't be more helpful. The puddings were beautiful, Lots of choice and good value.
Only one little problem, my family of eight, with three over 80's paid the bill. The "manager" then told us we had to leave the table and find some where else to sit. It would have been more acceptable if he found us a seat in the Bar or lounge, instead of eight of us all trying to locate some where to sit. I found this a little embarrassing, as one person was still eating, and we were all still drinking.
Overall the Meal was Lovely,
Lin

LMS
31-Aug-08, 18:20
I agree that the St Clair Arms Hotel carvery and staff are excellent.

With regard to your "problem", I am quite sure that the staff would presume that seeing as you had paid your bill, everyone at the table had finished.

northener
04-Sep-08, 21:47
St Claires hotel in Castletown does a lovely carvery. The Tomato soup was really lovely. The choice of main meals were superb, and the chefs couldn't be more helpful. The puddings were beautiful, Lots of choice and good value.
Only one little problem, my family of eight, with three over 80's paid the bill. The "manager" then told us we had to leave the table and find some where else to sit. It would have been more acceptable if he found us a seat in the Bar or lounge, instead of eight of us all trying to locate some where to sit. I found this a little embarrassing, as one person was still eating, and we were all still drinking.
Overall the Meal was Lovely,
Lin

As LMS says, probably just a misunderstanding on Andrews' part.

Unfortunately, I've never found the time to eat there....yet.
But I know a lot of aircrew who have stayed here when they've come across the 'Pond' into Wick Airport, to a man (and woman), they have all been impressed with the service and food.

igglepiggle
06-Sep-08, 14:33
I agree there food is lovely, always a good choice for main courses and puddings, when we were out last they only had one kind of soup on and it was brocolli, not a good choice for everyone, we had kids and they went yuck. when you are now paying £11:50 per person it wouldnt cost much to put on 2 soups for a choice for customers

Fran
09-Sep-08, 02:29
they are so busy, you are best to book a while beforehand

plumber
09-Sep-08, 21:19
The food is great, but after you finish in the dining room, and you just want to sit and have a drink in the lounge, you do feel its a case of we've had your money now go. They have all the tables reset for dinner again and you just can't sit and relax over a drink as there are no free tables.

northener
10-Sep-08, 21:33
Unfortunately Plumber, that's because it's so popular!:)

There's a lot of places that have to re-set the tables for the next booking...it's certainly a good sign.
In many restaurants and hotels it's pretty standard practice, I know I would prefer to spend all night lounging at the table - but if someone else needs the table then so be it.

plumber
11-Sep-08, 15:12
Unfortunately Plumber, that's because it's so popular!:)

There's a lot of places that have to re-set the tables for the next booking...it's certainly a good sign.
In many restaurants and hotels it's pretty standard practice, I know I would prefer to spend all night lounging at the table - but if someone else needs the table then so be it.
I was just trying to say it would have been nice to sit and have a drink in comfort in the lounge,(not the dinning room)with our family after a lovely meal, we were the last booking at lunch time, but there was no tables to sit at as they had been all set for meals at night, most hotels have a few tables where you can just sit and have a drink, we didnt want to lounge around all day or night

northener
11-Sep-08, 18:36
My apologies, Plumber. I see what you mean now.

karia
11-Sep-08, 20:56
We ate there frequently on our holiday (as golach and co. always speak so well of it here) and generally chose the informal atmosphere of the lounge. ( They were most welcoming no matter the size of group we presented them with) We enjoyed lovely food, were never rushed out of the door and usually stayed for a few drinks after, in relaxed surroundings with lovely service if we weren't expected elsewhere. If anything I felt rude to leave.;)

The prawn stuffed baked haddock is exceptional!:D

sjr014
17-Sep-08, 19:39
Finally got round 2 trying the Sunday Carvery and it was fab! What a selection and staff very helpful and accomodating! Definately be going again!

northener
20-Sep-08, 19:13
If you buy todays Scotsman, the St Clair is taking part in their 'Rioja and meal for £10' offer.

Fran
30-Sep-08, 02:06
If you buy todays Scotsman, the St Clair is taking part in their 'Rioja and meal for £10' offer.

what is Rioja ? please, as i haven't a clue!

northener
30-Sep-08, 08:44
what is Rioja ? please, as i haven't a clue!

It's a type of Spanish red wine, it can be very fruity and it's very, very nice...I get through a lot of it.:D