PDA

View Full Version : Horse Whisperer

Peach
30-Dec-05, 18:10
Has anyone else on here watched The Horse Whisperer?
Or read the book?
The film is really good - I watched it about a week ago.
The book is great as well. It's the kind of story that you'd have to be into horses to appreciate though - anyone else who's horsey on this forum???

MsMe
30-Dec-05, 18:17
Saw horse whisperer in real life, shes excellent, she comes up here every so often and you can book her through the riding club or the canine club.
Shes really good, she tells you what habbits you have as your animals pick up on them and I saw a horse being done and she described the route the rider took when she went out hacking and where the horse got a gallop ect - shes ace. Think il get my dog done next time she's up
I have watched the film which is good too but not read the book.
But the horse whisperer is well worth a booking next time she's in caithness!

katarina
30-Dec-05, 22:24
Think il get my dog done next time she's up
the horse whisperer is well worth a booking next time she's in caithness!

Is she any good with unruly children?
seriously, I have seen the film and read the book. the ending is different. think I prefer the film version - but I enjoyed both thoroughly!

Moira
31-Dec-05, 01:16
I am not at all a "horsey person" but this book was a truly excellent read. I also enjoyed the film. I've read "The Loop" & "The Smoke Jumper" also by Nicholas Evans. Both very different but compelling reading all the same. There's a official website where you can read excerpts from both of these - I think you would enjoy them too.

BTW, Katarina - I've seen the real Horse Whisperer in action - she could probably sort out your kids - she was certainly putting the pet owners in their places anyhow!

shrek_donkey
31-Dec-05, 01:49
Is she any good with unruly children?
seriously, I have seen the film and read the book. the ending is different. think I prefer the film version - but I enjoyed both thoroughly!
I could do with her in my hoose any good with 2 kids a man and a dog lol.

unicorn
31-Dec-05, 12:57
I have heard the woman who does the horse whispering is incredibly good and very accurate. It is certainly a good idea if you have an animal with health problems as she seems to be spot on at diagnosing also. Some people have the strangest talents?? I wonder how you discover you can do that, is it like a scene from Dr.Doolittle lol :)

crayola
31-Dec-05, 13:22
Who is this horse-whispering woman you're all talking about? I thought the horse whisperer was a man. :confused:

unicorn
31-Dec-05, 13:27
I dont know her name but my sis in law had her up at her horse who was a rescue horse and reckoned she was brilliant. I think she is from Nairn but she does dogs also. I thought about it for my dog but she talks back and grumbles enough which is funny to watch but I dont think I want to know what she is saying to me!!!

unicorn
31-Dec-05, 13:30
Just found out her name is Isabelle Hogton and she is from ross-shire,

Peach
31-Dec-05, 20:07
Hi all,
Glad some others have read the book and watched the film. Both are brilliant and extremely moving.
Yes, I preferred the film ending - it's not very realistic that Tom would then commit suicide and it's awfully depressing as well. The film ending was so much better.
Crayola, yes, the horse whisperer in the story is a man but all the other folk on here are talking about some real-life horse whisperer who supposedly comes up here to Caithness.
When was she last here?
Does anyone know if there's another version of the film? I've heard that there's one that Kevin Costner stars in, and it's supposed to be 4 hours long. Anyone heard of it?
I really think more people should watch the film or read the book - it might make them realise that they're being petty idiots.
Glad my thoughts about this excellent story are shared!!

unicorn
31-Dec-05, 21:00
Well I know for sure she was here 6 weeks ago.

Moira
31-Dec-05, 21:09
Here's the link to this lady's website:-
Isobel Hogton: www.horselistenerscotland.co.uk (http://www.horselistenerscotland.co.uk)
There are some photos on the Caithness Canine Club website of her visit here.

Peach
01-Jan-06, 20:25
Thanks, Moira and Unicorn. I wouldn't mind meeting her - when will she next be up here, do you know?
Also, has anyone heard of the 4 hour long version of The Horse Whisperer?
(Please read my last post for more details on it).
I'm glad you all agree about what a brilliant film it is. It's a real eye-opener and it makes me sad that folk can be so petty about such stupid things. *SIGH* :( I love the soundtrack for the film as well, 'Soft Place To Fall' - it's so touching. :(
Thanks for the web site link, Moira!! :D

valentine
01-Jan-06, 22:32
Hi Peach have you ever seen the real life horse whisperer Monty Roberts doing his work or demonstrations?
His work is really brilliant and a sight to behold. I have worked with him before and he really is an inspiration and true horseman.

crayola
02-Jan-06, 02:56
I really think more people should watch the film or read the book - it might make them realise that they're being petty idiots
And then in a later post:

I'm glad you all agree about what a brilliant film it is. It's a real eye-opener and it makes me sad that folk can be so petty about such stupid things. *SIGH* :(
Peach, you talk about people being petty idiots and you say that it makes me sad that folk can be so petty about such stupid things.

What stupid things? What does all this have to do with the Horse Whisperer? I really don't know what you're talking about. :confused:

I haven't read the book or seen the film.

Am I just being dumb or what?

genisis
02-Jan-06, 14:19
i too read the book and film and loved them both but I too are slightly confused at your remarks peach!!

Peach
02-Jan-06, 18:12
Hi Crayola and Genisis,
My remarks are referring to several people I know who really are sad petty idiots and cling on to little things and cause trouble. I won't mention any names because otherwise the Admin would probably lock this post, as with several others where the topic of our neighbours has come up. I won't say anymore and so I hope that this thread will not be locked. :(
Valentine, yes, of course I have heard of Monty Roberts!! :) You say that you've worked with him??????? I thought his only accomplice was Kelly Marks? In what way have you worked with him?!
Has anyone heard of the 4 hour version of The Horse Whisperer?
Sorry to have confused you all with my remarks about petty idiots. :( Hope you all understand now and that Admin won't close this (there have been no names mentioned after all).
Thanks!

valentine
02-Jan-06, 19:02
Peach just what is your problem? I have tried to post a civil and friendly reply but was quote" You say that you've worked with him??????? I thought his only accomplice was Kelly Marks? "
really neccesary? The meaning accomplice from the oxford dictionary is given below;
http://www.askoxford.com/images/interface/concise_oed.gif
accomplice

/http://www.askoxford.com/images/phonetics/schwa.gifkumpliss/ • noun a person who helps another commit a crime

Is there some reason for this malice? And yes I have worked with Monty and I have also worked with Kelly and they are both lovely inspirational people !

genisis
03-Jan-06, 11:46
I too have seen Isobel Hogton working with a horse and she is really good. I have always wanted to see Monty Roberts in action though but I've always been on with something else when he has been doing his tours. It must have been fantastic to have been able to work with him Valentine.:)

teritoots
03-Jan-06, 12:08
I've read the book and watched the film quite a while back. They are brilliant.

I've also had Isobel hogton talk to my horse and she's fantastic! Thanks to her I found out he was in pain and now thankfully I've had him treated for back problems and he's much happier.

mischief
03-Jan-06, 21:29
valentine did you say you had worked with monty roberts and kelly marks? do you by any chance work with horses as i am looking for someone to break in my horse for me?:)

valentine
06-Jan-06, 19:49
Hello Mischief
Yes I have worked with Kelly and Monty and both are fantastic people, I do work with horses but unfortunately I am not taking any on at the moment until our premises are finished but as soon as we are sorted out I will get back to you.
By the way I dont know who left me the rep regarding "storytelling" if you want to see the proof of my working with monty and kelly please do get in touch and I will meet with you and show you the relevent documentation.:D

Bumblebee
12-Jan-06, 16:56
Mischief - you could always contact me if you are looking for someone.... just send me a pm.:lol:

_Ju_
12-Jan-06, 18:17
Read the book and saw the movie. Funny, but I found them to be two different stories.
The book is about a man who understands the way horses communicate and uses his understanding to make the horse/man relationship a happier one for both.
The film on the otherhand is a romantic story about doomed love and a young girl's resilience and recovery in the face of adversity. The horse is a prop to this recovery and unless you have read the book, the film does not transmit all the work going on between the animal and whisperer.

mischief
12-Jan-06, 23:03
hi Bumblebee thanks for the offer but have spoken to Valentine and am I happy to wait for her place to be ready.

simpsoney
13-Jan-06, 14:54
I also had Isobel Hougton, the horse whisperer to my horse. She was excellent!!!! My horse has been mistreated and has some health problems and Isobel helped her with the pain she was suffering from. Now she is much better and i can now try to understand and manage her problems. I would recommend her to anyone. The next time she is up i intend to get her to look at my two rescued dogs!!!