PDA

View Full Version : Would you marry an animal???

Dr Evil
30-Dec-05, 15:00
Did anyone see that bit in the daily record about the woman who has married a dolphin

angela5
30-Dec-05, 15:05
Did anyone see that bit in the daily record about the woman who has married a dolphin

I did see that whatever next! although a few on here will find this totally acceptable.

Dr Evil
30-Dec-05, 15:07
exceptable eh pass me a bucket please so i can be sick.....

peedie man
30-Dec-05, 15:14
she might have been jilted and someone must have told her that there is plenty more fish in the sea

Rheghead
30-Dec-05, 15:20
she might have been jilted and someone must have told her that there is plenty more fish in the sea

I don't know so much about that, I think it is more probable that the dolphin is thinking on those lines.

jjc
30-Dec-05, 15:23
although a few on here will find this totally acceptable. I haven't read a post by any individual on this board that says marriage to animals is acceptable, but it’s entirely possible that I’ve missed the posts you refer to. So please, won’t you tell us who you are referring to here?

Saveman
30-Dec-05, 15:25
....and so it begins.....

;)

jjc
30-Dec-05, 15:27
....and so it begins.....

;)
I don't know what you mean :rolleyes:

Saveman
30-Dec-05, 15:32
I don't know what you mean :rolleyes:

LOL

I didn't see the article about the dolphin and the woman....all sounds very strange.
I'm sure there must be some kind of porpoise behind it.
:D

Rheghead
30-Dec-05, 16:12
OK, I suspect that the purpose of the thread was to be a flame, if it wasn't then I apologise.

This is my take on this.

I see no reason why people can't enter 'life partnerships' with animals.

Take for instance, if an old man who has a dog then passes away he can rest in peace that his friend in life will be looked after by law funded by share of the man's estate.

Any other implied reason for a life partnership with an animal would be completely puerile.

jjc
30-Dec-05, 17:51
if an old man who has a dog then passes away he can rest in peace that his friend in life will be looked after by law funded by share of the man's estate. That’s not a life partnership, that’s an old man writing into his will that his estate go to the SSPCA on the condition that they look after his dog.

There’s a very simple and straightforward reason why man and beast cannot enter into a marriage (or life partnership for that matter): the animal cannot give its consent. Take this woman who has ‘married’ a dolphin… do you think anybody has told the dolphin about its new status yet?

Any other implied reason for a life partnership with an animal would be completely puerile. I quite agree.

jjc
30-Dec-05, 17:52
Oh no, I think this cod go on all day.

Rheghead
30-Dec-05, 18:09
Oh no, I think this cod go on all day.

You are right to pick me up on the term 'life partnership'

Anyways, I think you are just having a whale of a time dissecting wee folkies posts:p

htwood
30-Dec-05, 18:27
LOL

I didn't see the article about the dolphin and the woman....all sounds very strange.
:D

Unless it was just a fluke........

unicorn
30-Dec-05, 18:34
many women and men have married and then divorced animals :) lol someone had to say it!!

Rheghead
30-Dec-05, 18:37
ok, we could go on and on with these daft puns but I don't think this message board is the plaice to do it!:p

sassylass
30-Dec-05, 18:58
My paper said she is a beautiful Finnish woman...she is a Doll Finn.

pedromcgrory
30-Dec-05, 19:05
and maybe shes likes a water bed

Uppiebalad
30-Dec-05, 19:09
I don't think I want to marry an animal, I already divorced one. It's funny how people turn out once the ring is on their finger.
Strange planet we live on! Beastiality is illegal, gays and lesbians have faught for years to be able to marry and then this female from wherever goes and marries a dolphin at the click of the fingers. Maybe there's loophole needing to be sewn up?
I can't see it lasting somehow. Dolphins don't live so long- maybe she's in it for his pension like my ex. Perhaps she'll come home one day and catch him frollicking in the Penguin pen like my ex. You never can tell.

Saveman
30-Dec-05, 20:10
ok, we could go on and on with these daft puns but I don't think this message board is the plaice to do it!:p

hehe..you had me right until the last bit....

Interesting point about the way topics seem to stray from the original...er...topic. It seems to me a bad area to get into, because once you start its very difficult to kick the halibut.

So back to the topic:
Any animal capable of training a human to throw it fish, within 30 seconds of meeting it, can't be trusted.

Dr Evil
30-Dec-05, 20:57
dont worry about trusting dolphins i once made a joke about them taking over the world and the person i told said don't worry they can't without thumbs ?????

Dr Evil
30-Dec-05, 20:59
according to the article she wore a white dress and then went a swim with her new ''husband'' !!!!

daviddd
30-Dec-05, 21:04
People can become emotionally attached to animals in a similar way as they can to other humans, of whatever sex. I'm sure we can all understand (?) that whilst sex can be the glue to secure a relationship (no pun intended) there's a lot more to it than that. Perhaps this lady had had a bad time with her human partner and having had contact with dolphins (no pun intended - stop it!!) had realised just how intelligent, friendly and loving they can be. They are known to be very interactive with humans as they are with each other. Perhaps this lady could satisfy her sexual needs elsewhere, and trusted that the dolphin would be a faithfull, if unconsummate partner, that could give her the loveand companionship she wished for. Many people feel like this about their pets - it's nothing new!

Saveman
30-Dec-05, 21:05
Of course...the old apposable thumbs problem.

In an online dictionary under "apposable" it has this quote.....

"dolphins … without an apposable thumb, they could never create artifacts —Stanley Kubrick"

So that woman will have to take all the rubbish out to the bin herself....;)

Dr Evil
30-Dec-05, 21:36
Yes but is it fair that the animal has no option but t get ''married'' to the human????

Saveman
30-Dec-05, 23:00
Yes but is it fair that the animal has no option but t get ''married'' to the human????

Er......this brings in the wider issue of "are animals sentient?"
A big question with varied answers and opinions......

JJC once had a dog......I'll let him finish the story...:D

;)

jjc
30-Dec-05, 23:18
JJC once had a dog......I'll let him finish the story...
Blimey Savey, I told that story a week ago... it must have touched you, eh? ;)

Rheghead
30-Dec-05, 23:23
Er......this brings in the wider issue of "are animals sentient?"
A big question with varied answers and opinions......

;)

I think that is a very big grey area which varies from species to species. I don't think any animal can think about 'life the universe and everything in it or 'why I am here?'

However, I know that 'higher' animals show consideration for other animals not just for humans, their own but cross special animals as well. That to me is sentience in that they do not always think in terms of me, me, me, food, sleep, etc. The ability to think like that deserves respect in terms of animal welfare etc.

However, there are a lot of humans which lack that trait so they receive the respect that they deserve...:rolleyes:

Saveman
30-Dec-05, 23:25
I had a tear :)

So are animals sentient? I think.....no they're not.

I have one cat and two goldfish.
He's a smart cat.....but does he know what he knows?
I could have married him to the goldfish.

Would either really care? They might if they got fed less.

What ya think?

Saveman
30-Dec-05, 23:27
I think that is a very big grey area which varies from species to species. I don't think any animal can think about 'life the universe and everything in it or 'why I am here?'

However, I know that 'higher' animals show consideration for other animals not just for humans, their own but cross special animals as well. That to me is sentience in that they do not always think in terms of me, me, me, food, sleep, etc. The ability to think like that deserves respect in terms of animal welfare etc.

However, there are a lot of humans which lack that trait so they receive the respect that they deserve...:rolleyes:

Too true. I seen a documentary on elephants grieving over death of their family....
but is that sentience?

Rheghead
30-Dec-05, 23:34
Too true. I seen a documentary on elephants grieving over death of their family....
but is that sentience?

I believe so, it shows that they are thinking in a sense that is 'outwith' the 1st person perspective of life's experience.

Haha, I hope I am making sense, I should wear my cravatte, sandals and maroon cordrouys when I make opinions like that.;)

Saveman
30-Dec-05, 23:34
Online Dictionary: Sentience: Feeling as distinguished from perception or thought.

Are animals really aware of themselves as beings?

Could they even begin to think "I think therefore I am"?

Saveman
30-Dec-05, 23:40
I believe so, it shows that they are thinking in a sense that is 'outwith' the 1st person perspective of life's experience.

Haha, I hope I am making sense, I should wear my cravatte, sandals and maroon cordrouys when I make opinions like that.;)

Probably best to get dressed up for such opinions, yes. ;)

Instinct can make birds fly hundreds of miles in one direction because they know they will pick up a prevailing wind that takes them thousands of miles in the other direction.
It can make ants be more organized than any large human work force.
Can it make animals seem sentient?

Rheghead
30-Dec-05, 23:46
Can it make animals seem sentient?

The answer to that would say more about the ethical position towards animals of the answerer rather than the truth of the matter.

jjc
30-Dec-05, 23:47
So are animals sentient? I think.....no they're not. Ouch, tough one. I also have a smart cat: he’s worked out the most effective way to beg for treats; he has a slightly disconcerting habit of ‘studying’ me when I’m watching TV; he knows when he wants to play and when he just wants to sit and watch the world pass by the window; and he can walk the length of my sofa on his hind legs. There is no doubt that he has a unique personality, but as you say; does he know what he knows?

I honestly don’t know. If he does it’s probably a different type of self-awareness than you or I have, but does that make it any less real? Since he can’t tell me his thoughts, I can only guess whether he is actually having any.

Of course, if we’re going to go down this line of discussion then I’m going to have to confess that I’m still not entirely convinced that any of you are sentient. I mean, all my life I’ve been trapped behind these eyes looking out on these animated mannequins that inhabit my ‘world’ – sometimes they even talk to me – but I’ve yet to see any conclusive proof that any of it is actually real.

Saveman
30-Dec-05, 23:49
The answer to that would say more about the ethical position towards animals of the answerer rather than the truth of the matter.

So what would be the truth of the matter?

Saveman
30-Dec-05, 23:57
Ouch, tough one. I also have a smart cat: he’s worked out the most effective way to beg for treats; he has a slightly disconcerting habit of ‘studying’ me when I’m watching TV; he knows when he wants to play and when he just wants to sit and watch the world pass by the window; and he can walk the length of my sofa on his hind legs. There is no doubt that he has a unique personality, but as you say; does he know what he knows?

I honestly don’t know. If he does it’s probably a different type of self-awareness than you or I have, but does that make it any less real? Since he can’t tell me his thoughts, I can only guess whether he is actually having any.

Of course, if we’re going to go down this line of discussion then I’m going to have to confess that I’m still not entirely convinced that any of you are sentient. I mean, all my life I’ve been trapped behind these eyes looking out on these animated mannequins that inhabit my ‘world’ – sometimes they even talk to me – but I’ve yet to see any conclusive proof that any of it is actually real.

Reminds me of a mixture of The Truman Show and the Matrix!

Right nuff....this could be a very cleverly designed computer program to provide answers to various prompts.

eg.

aye aye
Crack noo?
no bad yersel?
ach yer seeing it
dirty day
ayeee dirty dirty
whats the meaning of life?
er.....no bad yersel?

Saveman
30-Dec-05, 23:58
posted this twice....sorry

daviddd
31-Dec-05, 00:09
posted this twice....sorry"experience moulds our character; then character moulds our experience"

True statement in one view this sig, but assuming that we lie down and accept what has been moulded; but the less unwary realise that our past experience is less than correct......and we take steps to rectify that....

daviddd
31-Dec-05, 00:18
this thread has drifted a bit - I think that sentience is not so relevant re my earlier thread, since animals clearly can be devoted to their human friends or 'owners' if only because they latter feed and attend to all the basic needs of the animal. There's nothing so wrong about that? - many a partner in a human relationship is only in it for the support of the other partner........

jjc
31-Dec-05, 00:20
this could be a very cleverly designed computer program
It could be, but it could be something else entirely that we aren’t even able to comprehend.

Seriously, all that any of us have on which to base the belief that any of this exists is blind faith. You mention the Matrix, but what is that other than a script writer trying to put the same thought down on film? The only reason I know that other people are aware is that they tell me they are… but people also tell me that fairies exist and garlic wards off vampires.

jjc
31-Dec-05, 00:22
many a partner in a human relationship is only in it for the support of the other partner........
Yes but they are at least able to understand the relationship that they are entering into and have made the decision that the pros outweigh the cons. Can the same be true of my cat?

daviddd
31-Dec-05, 00:24
Yes but they are at least able to understand the relationship that they are entering into and have made the decision that the pros outweigh the cons. Can the same be true of my cat?I don't see what the difference is JJC - the one is dependent on the other for basic needs to survive.....?

shrek_donkey
31-Dec-05, 00:24
But would any of you marry your pets? I have a dog and a rabbit and somehow can't see myself wanting to marry them.......

daviddd
31-Dec-05, 00:26
But would any of you marry your pets? I have a dog and a rabbit and somehow can't see myself wanting to marry them.......No, I wouldn't, but many humans don't marry their human partners either!

jjc
31-Dec-05, 00:28
I don't see what the difference is JJC - the one is dependent on the other for basic needs to survive.....?
Because we aren't talking about a dependency, we are talking about a marriage – and to my mind for there to be a marriage both parties must give informed consent. In the case of this woman ‘marrying’ a dolphin there is simply no way that the dolphin has given consent – or even understands the situation.

spiggie
31-Dec-05, 00:32
i think its wrong and its silly, it goes against everything that marriage stands for! There was a documentary on the television not that long ago about people who marry their animals and have sexual intercourse with them, which i think is very very wrong and cruel, they should be locked up and the key thrown away!!

jjc
31-Dec-05, 00:33
But would any of you marry your pets?
In what sense could I marry my cat? The most I can hope of from our relationship is what we have now – he gets food and shelter and I get the company. Saying that we are ‘married’ won’t change us to anything more than pet and owner.

Saveman
31-Dec-05, 00:38
Because we aren't talking about a dependency, we are talking about a marriage – and to my mind for there to be a marriage both parties must give informed consent. In the case of this woman ‘marrying’ a dolphin there is simply no way that the dolphin has given consent – or even understands the situation.

Indeed. The joy of real marriage is that two people, completely sentient in any language, (it was humans that invented this word to describe the human experience of being..er...obviously) choose to commit themselves to each other indefinitely, regardless of past experience or future hopes. (Often compatability in future goals is a pre-requisite for choosing a marriage partner.)

This is just not possible between humans and animals.

shrek_donkey
31-Dec-05, 01:03
I saw that on the tv also it was disgusting imoral and wrong.