PDA

View Full Version : locked threads

katarina
30-Dec-05, 13:46
Is there anyone else like me who gets annoyed when a thread is locked? Sometimes I enjoy reading the arguements of others even when not participating myself. Imagin watching a football match, getting excited over who is going to score the next goal, when suddenly some one decides this has gone far enough and stops the game. Okay, sometimes it's neccessary when there is nameing or bad language or even personal insults, but if two or more people are getting a BUZZ from an arguement, why close it? If anyone else objects to the thread, don't open it - simple - it'll peter out soon enough.
Someone made a remark against reputaion boxes - saying that some people are scared to give their true opinions in case they get bad repped. Maybe the reputaions should be set by the moderators, not eachother. I think now people are scared to give their true opinions in case the thread is closed.
What do the rest of you think?
We who enjoy this board - give your opinion. Don't know how to set up a pol - or I would have done that.

weeboyagee
30-Dec-05, 15:00
I was also watching that thread with interest without getting involved. Only reason for not getting involved is that I have been away too often to feel as though I could keep an active contribution going and unless I can do that I feel sometimes that I distract from the flow. I did think that the thread was running close to the bone - and it had me ready to fire on all cylinders at one point!

I know how you feel katarina but I think on this one we have to remember that the moderators run the show and we have to let them exercise their right every now and then - most of the time, to be fair, a lot of us get away with a lot without being reprimanded, on this one obviously not. Reference the football match - when the ref gives a foul, half of us are up in arms about it - we don't like the decision but it stands and we have to accept it - like it or not :(!

I agree that if people don't want to contribute then close the page and move on, but I think that sometimes the forum and website is judged by the manner in which it is monitored. This website (to my mind) has a good reputation and is very popular. I would like it to be kept that way - and I am sure I and others will have our wings clipped from time to time (even though we'll huff and gruff about it lol!) to maintain popularity and minimise any possibility of offending! :)

I also agree with you saying that people can be put off commenting because they will be bad rep'd. I am sure that this is a fact - but for those of us who are big enough, bold enough, and brass necked enough, we'll say what we have to say no matter what! I think that so long as you make your point in a mature fashion (and that doesn't rule out inuendo, the odd piece of scarcasm etc) then so what if someone can't accept it and hits the scales immediately! All I would say is that everyone on the forums should be quicker to give good rep than bad (think about it! - we're quicker to give bad rep than good I'm sure!) when they agree with a post and this would raise the positive profile of reputation. My first bad rep went out the other day but hey - a good post from the same poster and I will give good rep - that's the way it goes. For the record - I had my rep walloped several times that day - both good and bad! For those who did me good, my thanks, for those who told me I'm a baby, keep my hair on etc,.....well, I didn't loose sleep over it and look forward to the day I give them good rep for a good post! ;)

Watch what you say when you add to this thread! You don't want it locked too! Though I'm sure Niall will be too busy having a good time at New Year to be locking any more! Eh, Niall? :D

angela5
30-Dec-05, 15:01
Is there anyone else like me who gets annoyed when a thread is locked? Sometimes I enjoy reading the arguements of others even when not participating myself. Imagin watching a football match, getting excited over who is going to score the next goal, when suddenly some one decides this has gone far enough and stops the game. Okay, sometimes it's neccessary when there is nameing or bad language or even personal insults, but if two or more people are getting a BUZZ from an arguement, why close it? If anyone else objects to the thread, don't open it - simple - it'll peter out soon enough.
Someone made a remark against reputaion boxes - saying that some people are scared to give their true opinions in case they get bad repped. Maybe the reputaions should be set by the moderators, not eachother. I think now people are scared to give their true opinions in case the thread is closed.
What do the rest of you think?
We who enjoy this board - give your opinion. Don't know how to set up a pol - or I would have done that.

Well katrina i totally agree with you there, i think the rep boxes should be set by the moderators, not the trusted members who have pleasure in jumping into some-ones post, then taking points off them because they disagree, do they think we all have to agree with them, what they say goes? this forum is all about agreeing with them and if you so happen to have your own opinion then your doomed.
Some actually don't even contribute their own opinion in some threads.
true some are now reluctant to give their true opinion in FEAR of the big bosses running you down to the ground,
i mean some of the comments they leave in your rep box is utterly disgusting, yet they pretray themselves so sweet and innocent on the message board!
this trusted member thing they decide wether to red box you or not is all a farce.
for bad posting some-one it's up to the moderator to suspend you (thankfully) the moderator should be the one in control of your points not the high & mighty.
well thats my opinion wow! canna wait to see my rep box now.

Rheghead
30-Dec-05, 15:16
i mean some of the comments they leave in your rep box is utterly disgusting, yet they pretray themselves so sweet and innocent on the message board!

If you have a complaint about a rep comment then bring it to the moderators notice. He will take action against the repper in accordance with the forum rules.

katarina
30-Dec-05, 22:08
I'm glad to see someone agrees with me, and I have to add that this IS a great website! Good work by all those involved - much appreciated - but - can't you please let us go on a bit longer before you lock the threads - Mr Niall, please? I mean we're not that bad - have you ever watched our representitives in the house of commons?

EDDIE
31-Dec-05, 22:22
Well katrina i totally agree with you there, i think the rep boxes should be set by the moderators, not the trusted members who have pleasure in jumping into some-ones post, then taking points off them because they disagree, do they think we all have to agree with them, what they say goes? this forum is all about agreeing with them and if you so happen to have your own opinion then your doomed.
Some actually don't even contribute their own opinion in some threads.
true some are now reluctant to give their true opinion in FEAR of the big bosses running you down to the ground,
this trusted member thing they decide wether to red box you or not is all a farce.
for bad posting some-one it's up to the moderator to suspend you (thankfully) the moderator should be the one in control of your points not the high & mighty.
well thats my opinion wow! canna wait to see my rep box now.

Well i agree with you some of the coments you can get in the boxs are A bit cheeky and theres no need for it and as for the points i dont care whether i get high points or not for my comments i put in the threads.
And i think for anyone that does put bad comments in the boxs all there doing is lowering the standard of this website as well as thereself.

crayola
02-Jan-06, 15:57
Is there anyone else like me who gets annoyed when a thread is locked? Sometimes I get annoyed, sometimes I breathe a sigh of relief. The moderators use their judgement, just like anyone else does. In the thread you are clearly referring to, one party was making ever more ridiculous claims and accusations, and seemed more interested in causing trouble than engaging in serious debate, so I think there was a good case for locking the thread. Surely you didn't take him seriously? :rolleyes:

Maybe the reputaions should be set by the moderators, not eachother. I think now people are scared to give their true opinions in case the thread is closed. Do you really, I mean really REALLY, think this would be a better system? What would you think if the moderators took a dim view of your posts and gave you a bad reputation? I'm sure this wouldn't happen to you, but it might happen to someone who is otherwise popular with the community. This is a community website, so shouldn't reputation be set by the community? I include the moderators as part of the community.

Whether or not we should have a reputation system at all is an entirely different question.

golach
02-Jan-06, 16:59
I was also watching that thread with interest without getting involved. Only reason for not getting involved is that I have been away too often to feel as though I could keep an active contribution going and unless I can do that I feel sometimes that I distract from the flow. I did think that the thread was running close to the bone - and it had me ready to fire on all cylinders at one point!

I know how you feel katarina but I think on this one we have to remember that the moderators run the show and we have to let them exercise their right every now and then - most of the time, to be fair, a lot of us get away with a lot without being reprimanded, on this one obviously not. Reference the football match - when the ref gives a foul, half of us are up in arms about it - we don't like the decision but it stands and we have to accept it - like it or not :(!

I agree that if people don't want to contribute then close the page and move on, but I think that sometimes the forum and website is judged by the manner in which it is monitored. This website (to my mind) has a good reputation and is very popular. I would like it to be kept that way - and I am sure I and others will have our wings clipped from time to time (even though we'll huff and gruff about it lol!) to maintain popularity and minimise any possibility of offending! :)

I also agree with you saying that people can be put off commenting because they will be bad rep'd. I am sure that this is a fact - but for those of us who are big enough, bold enough, and brass necked enough, we'll say what we have to say no matter what! I think that so long as you make your point in a mature fashion (and that doesn't rule out inuendo, the odd piece of scarcasm etc) then so what if someone can't accept it and hits the scales immediately! All I would say is that everyone on the forums should be quicker to give good rep than bad (think about it! - we're quicker to give bad rep than good I'm sure!) when they agree with a post and this would raise the positive profile of reputation. My first bad rep went out the other day but hey - a good post from the same poster and I will give good rep - that's the way it goes. For the record - I had my rep walloped several times that day - both good and bad! For those who did me good, my thanks, for those who told me I'm a baby, keep my hair on etc,.....well, I didn't loose sleep over it and look forward to the day I give them good rep for a good post! ;)

Watch what you say when you add to this thread! You don't want it locked too! Though I'm sure Niall will be too busy having a good time at New Year to be locking any more! Eh, Niall?

Weeboyagee, I agree with you whole heartedly on theis issue, the moderators have a hard enough job trying to manage this web site, without having to put up with the rantings of a few allegedly "Open Minded" contributers.
One issue I do not agree with you Weeboyagee is your alleged knowledge of Football coz you support the Jambo's ...what more need I say :p

golach
02-Jan-06, 17:00

I know how you feel katarina but I think on this one we have to remember that the moderators run the show and we have to let them exercise their right every now and then - most of the time, to be fair, a lot of us get away with a lot without being reprimanded, on this one obviously not. Reference the football match - when the ref gives a foul, half of us are up in arms about it - we don't like the decision but it stands and we have to accept it - like it or not !

I agree that if people don't want to contribute then close the page and move on, but I think that sometimes the forum and website is judged by the manner in which it is monitored. This website (to my mind) has a good reputation and is very popular. I would like it to be kept that way - and I am sure I and others will have our wings clipped from time to time (even though we'll huff and gruff about it lol!) to maintain popularity and minimise any possibility of offending!

I also agree with you saying that people can be put off commenting because they will be bad rep'd. I am sure that this is a fact - but for those of us who are big enough, bold enough, and brass necked enough, we'll say what we have to say no matter what! I think that so long as you make your point in a mature fashion (and that doesn't rule out inuendo, the odd piece of scarcasm etc) then so what if someone can't accept it and hits the scales immediately! All I would say is that everyone on the forums should be quicker to give good rep than bad (think about it! - we're quicker to give bad rep than good I'm sure!) when they agree with a post and this would raise the positive profile of reputation. My first bad rep went out the other day but hey - a good post from the same poster and I will give good rep - that's the way it goes. For the record - I had my rep walloped several times that day - both good and bad! For those who did me good, my thanks, for those who told me I'm a baby, keep my hair on etc,.....well, I didn't loose sleep over it and look forward to the day I give them good rep for a good post!

Watch what you say when you add to this thread! You don't want it locked too! Though I'm sure Niall will be too busy having a good time at New Year to be locking any more! Eh, Niall?

Weeboyagee, I agree with you whole heartedly on this issue, the moderators have a hard enough job trying to manage this web site, without having to put up with the rantings of a few allegedly "Open Minded" contributers.
One issue I do not agree with you Weeboyagee is your alleged knowledge of Football coz you support the Jambo's ...what more need I say :p