PDA

View Full Version : Thrumster question..

percy toboggan
30-Aug-08, 16:50
How many folk live there - ish?
Is there a regular bus into Wick?
Shop?

justine
30-Aug-08, 18:05
Not many
Not many
Might be?

Tighsonas4
30-Aug-08, 18:14
Shop?
yes theres quite a lot of folk live there and in the area both in counncil houses and bungalows. dont know if the shop is still open but the pub is
the smiddy inn buses run quite regularly as its on the main bus route regards tony

DeHaviLand
30-Aug-08, 18:22
Shop?

200-ish
reasonably regular, but its not a long walk
no shop i'm afraid, just a pub, and a garage/filling station that may or may not re-open

Torvaig
30-Aug-08, 18:23
http://www.caithness.org/community/education/thrumsterprimary/index.htm
Some more info on Thrumster.....

rambo1978
30-Aug-08, 18:23
My uncle owned the filling station for many years and it sounds like its not going to re-open unfortunately :(

justine
30-Aug-08, 18:24
[quote=DeHaviLand;425312]200-ish
reasonably regular, but its not a long walk
no shop i'm afraid, just a pub, and a garage/filling station that may or may not re-open[/quotWe have been through thrumster many times and never realised how many people lived there.Im suprised,lovely place and the smiddy inn is nice.

percy toboggan
30-Aug-08, 18:31
Thanks for the coherent answers folks.
The other one?...well , some newcomers fit the stereotype,
some don't.

Alice in Blunderland
30-Aug-08, 21:17
Thrumster has a very good bus service in and out of Wick weekdays and not so regular at weekends.

The village shop closed when the post office closed as it became no longer viable.

There is a garage which is closed at present as the owner retired but would be nice little earner for someone willing to re-open and possibly develop it a little.

The Smiddy Inn is a great village pub serving excellent meals which still have home made chips and is great value for money.

Local primary school with around thirty kids with an excellent reputation, village hall which Santa visits anually, playground which the council keep nicking swings from, and Tennis court.

There are three streets in the village :

Stewart Crescent with around thiry five houses, one a nice two bedroom semi which is currently for sale if anyones interested.( lovely well kept large garden) Green fox solicitors I think.

Finlayson Place has twelve houses most of them are bought and are newer than Stewart Crescent.

Baikie Place ,The paddock has six private houses and have all been recently built within the last two to eight years and are within crawling distance of the pub.

The famous Weeboyagee lives there and can be heard singing in the pub on occasion and in the bath on others.

One mile down the road is Sarclet and the Haven with the now famous sunken cruise boat :eek:

There are a few new bungalows currently under construction as it seems to be good place to build from a planning point of view. A fair amount of houses then are around the main village itself so the population will probably be a good bit over two hundred.

Its a peacefull village with not a lot going on and on whole a very friendly place to stay. :D

wee sparkle
30-Aug-08, 23:17
http://www.rapsons.co.uk (http://www.rapsons.co.uk/) thats where you'l find bus times, just click view timetables for your area, then on the pink one for caithness and sutherland. I am always using the bus, apart from sundays, the bus service is pretty good, and the times are convenient. Hope that helps:Razz

percy toboggan
31-Aug-08, 08:20
Yes , I think that's a comprehensive list and I thank you very much, especially Alice for taking the trouble to reply at such length.

Thrumster sounds well worth a visit and will be added to our itinerary very soon. Glengolly, Watten, Keiss, Reiss, Dunbeath et.al..and now Thrumster. I do so love life on the road and touring.

I fancy the sound of those 'real chips' too!
Thank you.

Whitewater
31-Aug-08, 23:34
Don't live there myself, but it is a nice place with welcoming folk. I like it.

dirdyweeker
01-Sep-08, 13:07
Thrumster has a very good bus service in and out of Wick weekdays and not so regular at weekends.

The village shop closed when the post office closed as it became no longer viable.

There is a garage which is closed at present as the owner retired but would be nice little earner for someone willing to re-open and possibly develop it a little.

The Smiddy Inn is a great village pub serving excellent meals which still have home made chips and is great value for money.

Local primary school with around thirty kids with an excellent reputation, village hall which Santa visits anually, playground which the council keep nicking swings from, and Tennis court.

Stewart Crescent with around thiry five houses, one a nice two bedroom semi which is currently for sale if anyones interested.( lovely well kept large garden) Green fox solicitors I think.

Finlayson Place has twelve houses most of them are bought and are newer than Stewart Crescent.

Baikie Place ,The paddock has six private houses and have all been recently built within the last two to eight years and are within crawling distance of the pub.

The famous Weeboyagee lives there and can be heard singing in the pub on occasion and in the bath on others.

One mile down the road is Sarclet and the Haven with the now famous sunken cruise boat :eek:

There are a few new bungalows currently under construction as it seems to be good place to build from a planning point of view. A fair amount of houses then are around the main village itself so the population will probably be a good bit over two hundred.

Its a peacefull village with not a lot going on and on whole a very friendly place to stay. :D

Love your description!! If that does not entice folk into the area, nothing will. Mind you perhaps the singing in the bath could be off putting:lol:

Alice in Blunderland
01-Sep-08, 19:36
It is a lovely place to stay quiet and not much to bother anyone. Its close enough to the town but also far enough away. :)

balto
01-Sep-08, 19:55

your description of thrumster, makes me want to come home, lived there for 16 happy years, wont ever be happier anywhere else than i was there.

Amy-Winehouse
01-Sep-08, 19:57
I love going out to the Thrumster Pub for a meal, absolutely brilliant food everytime. Ive had many a good night in there over the years, apart from that Thrumster is rather small but the people are friendly .

Alice in Blunderland
01-Sep-08, 21:57
I love going out to the Thrumster Pub for a meal, absolutely brilliant food everytime. Ive had many a good night in there over the years, apart from that Thrumster is rather small but the people are friendly .

As they say good things come in small packages :lol:

The folk are friendly and as for the Smiddy youre always garaunteed good pub grub and its a cosy place with an open fire not gas or artificial but real coal . :cool:

rambo1978
01-Sep-08, 22:58
As they say good things come in small packages :lol:

The folk are friendly and as for the Smiddy youre always garaunteed good pub grub and its a cosy place with an open fire not gas or artificial but real coal . :cool:

I agree Alice, it's a great village and the Smiddy Inn is a lovely place to dine, been there several times and lovely food to be had, i'm from Thrumster and it's a lovely place to dine.

Alice in Blunderland
02-Sep-08, 20:59
Okay since you all liked that information heres some more.

There is an old railway station on the main road passing through Thrumster which has been done up to a degree and has lovely trees planted at the back of it. Thrumster house nestles in the trees behind the petrol station . We also have a lovely church open on Sunday afternoon just to let us have a long lie in.Well he did say on the seventh day he rested.
Thrumster is also very close to three lochs :

Loch Sarclet which you can fish ( dont forget your permit ) and every year the yachting club sail their model yachts on it for a few months in the spring/summertime. That truly is lovely to watch.

Hempriggs loch again good for fishing

Loch Yarrows which is a little further away but after a gentle afternoon fishing you might care to have a walk along the Yarrows Trail.

Overlooking Sarclet Loch on a hill there are old derelict army huts which are great for exploring.

There is also an old artificial runway which you can still see ,only just ,which was said to have been made to fool the Germans into not bombing Wick airport. (dont know if that ones true )

Ulbster mains with buriel ground and the Sinclair tomb lie at the end of the road past Sarclet Loch and is worth a look and the scenery is breathtaking.

After all this excercise and exploring then its back to The Smiddy for some refreshment. :D

Its a walkers paradise and a fishermans heaven ( if they catch a fish which Im sure they will as so many fishermen have told us about the great big fish that they have always just missed catching.) ;)