PDA

View Full Version : need to know

bobandag16
30-Aug-08, 15:49
if i do not know iused to go to the library i find i am using the computor more. is this the new treand.

emszxr
30-Aug-08, 16:13
sorry but, what???????

Tugmistress
30-Aug-08, 16:39
I think what the OP is saying is that in the past if they needed to know something they would go out to the library and look it up whereas now they use the internet and asking is this a new trend :D

silverfox57
30-Aug-08, 17:55
was on radio 4 this morning about this,said that Mobile library vans in out side off towns are very busy, as people still like a good book to read ,instead of internet,

bobandag16
30-Aug-08, 21:20
I think what the OP is saying is that in the past if they needed to know something they would go out to the library and look it up whereas now they use the internet and asking is this a new trend :D
thank for explaining for me . i am 88 years old and having work to keep up with young things . but org keeps me in touch.

unicorn
30-Aug-08, 21:24
Well done you for making the effort :D

bobandag16
30-Aug-08, 22:10
Well done you for making the effort :D
thank you for your reply

Alice in Blunderland
30-Aug-08, 22:22
thank for explaining for me . i am 88 years old and having work to keep up with young things . but org keeps me in touch.

And they say you cant teach an old dog new tricks ;) No offence meant
well done for mastering this art you could probably show me a thing or two.
I find I use the internet for reference far more than I would a library.

Although when our internet went down for a while kids would go along to the library to use their computers nothing to do with books.:lol:

silverfox57
31-Aug-08, 08:44
great to see you on the org ,have a member of my family also in there 80s.on computer,elders orgers must have a wealth of knowledge on life.could learn some, the real meaning of what is important in life.

percy toboggan
31-Aug-08, 08:56
if i do not know iused to go to the library i find i am using the computor more. is this the new treand.

Good for you...the web is for everybody and I wish more senior citizens would follow your example. My sister included, who at 62 will not entertain one !

Still, in our rush towards electronic media we must never forget the value of books and teaching the children to use both forms of learning for a rounded education and a satisfying life.

Angela
31-Aug-08, 09:36
Well done bobandag :D- I hope I'll be as open to new ideas when (hopefully) I reach your age!

I use the internet every day for quick access to information, but I still prefer a book if I want to go a bit more deeply into a subject, and just because I like books as objects.

I couldn't possibly afford to buy all the books I want to read, even discounted and second hand, so I'm a very regular visitor at the local library.

It's now self service, just like Tesco, but with no option to be served by a human being...and I'm not alone in missing the personal touch. It was nice to be able to chat about books with someone who was interested and knowledgeable.

I found my two year old granddaughter reading to her dolly the other day -bless! - and was glad to see that books are important in her life already.:)

poppett
31-Aug-08, 10:28
I occasionally "google" to find things out speedily, but it usually ends up with me finding books to read if the subject matter is interesting.

Websters dictionary and thesaurus was a well thumbed tome in the house when I was growing up and many a competition was won with some extra answers from "Websters".

Well done Bobandag .... you will be trying abseiling down the side of Bayview daycare when you run out of research on the www.

percy toboggan
31-Aug-08, 12:21
I found my two year old granddaughter reading to her dolly the other day -bless! - and was glad to see that books are important in her life already.:)

learned behaviour of the very best kind - heartwarming stuff.

MadPict
31-Aug-08, 16:06
¡sɹǝʍod ןɐʇuǝɯ ǝsn oʇ pǝǝu ʇsnɾ noʎ 'ʎןןɐǝɹ op oʇ pɹɐɥ ʇɐɥʇ ʇou s,ʇı

Sapphire2803
31-Aug-08, 16:20
˙uɐǝɯ noʎ ʇɐɥʍ ǝǝs ı ˙˙˙ɥɐǝʎ ɥo

Fran
31-Aug-08, 16:21

Well done, good for you for being on here. I couldnt live without my computer now, especially caithness org, dont know how i managed before..
Went to evening classes and most were well over 60 which is great.Tried to get my 89 year old mother interested, but no. Explained she could write one letter and send it to her friends with computers, but no, she writes 9 individual letters!!

bobandag16
31-Aug-08, 20:50
Well done, good for you for being on here. I couldnt live without my computer now, especially caithness org, dont know how i managed before..
Went to evening classes and most were well over 60 which is great.Tried to get my 89 year old mother interested, but no. Explained she could write one letter and send it to her friends with computers, but no, she writes 9 individual letters!!
glad she can write itype with one finger get there spelling does not matter therse days. gl 2 all thx that posted

poppett
31-Aug-08, 21:40
Mad Pict,

You brought back a memory there. I used to have a boss whose writing was so bad I could only read it upside down. Have kept the art practiced and it came in very handy when visiting clinic with my hubby for reading the doctors notes!

I can also write with a pen between my toes, but that`s another party piece from many many years ago.

Whitewater
31-Aug-08, 21:52

Nice to see you are making the effort at 88yrs young. Well done. I hope you have many more happy years, and if you stay on the org you will have some fun as well.

teenybash
31-Aug-08, 22:21
I love my books but, my pc is great for instant info......for me the two go hand in glove.

Hope I am still at my keyboard at 88yrs young...good on you BB :Razz

bobandag16
31-Aug-08, 23:16
Nice to see you are making the effort at 88yrs young. Well done. I hope you have many more happy years, and if you stay on the org you will have some fun as well.
can i come canoeing on white water.

Whitewater
31-Aug-08, 23:30
can i come canoeing on white water.

I would be delighted.