PDA

View Full Version : Roadworks

Nivelo
30-Aug-08, 07:23
Does anyone know what time they cal leggaly start roadworks at? I'm sure it was 8am but the gas croud at the bottom of henrietta st have started at 7am. It's driving me nuts!

bluenose
30-Aug-08, 07:43
Nearby a road has been closed for road works between midnight and 12:30am on Sundays although it still looks the same on Monday mornings
So I guess, providing someone has permission, from one of the 20 million people dependent on Government support to pay their bills, then it's okay.

Welcomefamily
30-Aug-08, 10:00
In England you have the noise act 1996 which states the hours of 11pm to 7am. I am not sure about scotland, however the environment health department of the highland council would be able to tell you.
It also depends on the level of noise.

Scotlands:http://www.opsi.gov.uk/legislation/scotland/ssi2006/20060465.htm

router
30-Aug-08, 10:30
this may help too
http://www.noiseabatementsociety.com/tcms/view.do?page=283

Fran
30-Aug-08, 12:40
I agree. They started drilling at 7.05 this morning and on a Saturday too. i thought it was illegal to do this till after 9am. they are digging up what they did yesterday!!!! Have you noticed it is a Glasgow firm. Why are the council not using local workers.

DeHaviLand
30-Aug-08, 12:52
I agree. They started drilling at 7.05 this morning and on a Saturday too. i thought it was illegal to do this till after 9am. they are digging up what they did yesterday!!!! Have you noticed it is a Glasgow firm. Why are the council not using local workers.

Because the Glasgow firm undoubtedly put in the cheapest tender.

MadPict
30-Aug-08, 13:29
At least they are there at 7am digging - when you have a hole in the road for weeks causing all sorts of traffic mayhem and no sign of workmen from one day to the next, that's the time to complain!

Angel
30-Aug-08, 22:19
And they turn up.. obviously...

Angel

fender
31-Aug-08, 20:14
Here we go again, let's blame the council. It ain't the councils work that's getting done. Get your facts right before you start mud slinging!

catran
31-Aug-08, 20:31
DON'T GET ME STARTED FRAN Yes why is an outside firm doing work that the locL COUNCIL workers should be doing???????Here we go Council Tax rises once more.

I am led to believe the bin me n are out today Sunday for four hours to clean up the streets after Saturday night nonsense but they get paid double time?????? What is going on in this county?????? Well so much for the council tax eh?????? We are the mugs. I do notice a few broken shop windows today..Where are the bobbies that used to know all the culprits??? sitting behind their computers looking at Caithness .org for inspiration I guess..............

What a disgrace the place is becoming between the Pulteney Project Heating going all askewwwwwwww, Having to have a warden in Murchison Street goodness grACIOUS ME WHAT is to become of us all. The place is a mess and as you say what is the South Firm being employed nfor when plenty on our own doorstep.

Whitewater
31-Aug-08, 23:45
There is a law about noise betwen 11pm & 7am. Unfortunately roadworks of any type always get a mixed response from people depending on their job and life style. Unfortunately it has to be done, but the workers are in a 'no-win' situation, they get cursed for doing their work and cursed if the don't. Very unfair of us civilised and sophisticated people to treat them like that. But I must admit I gurn myself when I'm held up, but if they didn't do it I would probably gurn more.

AfternoonDelight
01-Sep-08, 11:33
At least they are there at 7am digging - when you have a hole in the road for weeks causing all sorts of traffic mayhem and no sign of workmen from one day to the next, that's the time to complain!

Spot on ,MadPict - there's no pleasing everyone is there? At least they are getting the job done...

I must admit - I heard them at 8am on Sunday morning and had a wee moan to myself but it's not the end of the world is it?

Oh and fair enough - some people work shifts and sleep during the day.. the chemists sell earplugs - wonderful invention! ;)