PDA

View Full Version : Dances With Wasps.

northener
29-Aug-08, 21:08
Oh, it's been great fun in Wick today....

Mothers abandoning prams and toddlers, other people dashing out into the path of oncoming trucks and multitudes of jerkily dancing pedestrians....

It's amazing what havoc a small insect can wreak upon humans. Just point and say "Wasp!"
The reaction is always the same, shoulders hunch, necks are wound in, knees bend the body into a wierd crouching position, arms take on curious sharp angles (think heiroglyphics) and begin to flail wildly.

This dance usually then develops into an aimless zig-zag run whilst performing all the above actions at the same time. Brilliant!
It's like driving through a town that's had some mind-(and body)-bending dance drug put in it's water supply.:lol:

Jeez, there's been a lot of wasps about in Wick today.

I like wasps.

unicorn
29-Aug-08, 21:13
Glad it's not just me that has noticed. I don't know how often this week I have had wasps in my face, buzzing about I can cope with but not in my hair and face. :eek:

balto
29-Aug-08, 21:15
my god they are terriable just now, we had about 20 of them swarming round our back door today, my other half got stung in the rm, just glad it ws him and not one of the kids.

mccaugm
29-Aug-08, 21:17
I understand bees, they make honey and yes they sting us.

Wasps, what is the point of wasps?

Oh and wasps have been out in force in Thurso and Halkirk as well. I noticed one dive bombing my patio doors, think it must have knocked itself out. Yay...do the "Wasp dance" (think Bartman).

Melancholy Man
29-Aug-08, 21:23
Bit of rolled-up newspaper, and preform the Execution of the Wasp.

TBH
29-Aug-08, 21:33
What are wasps good for, Yahoo has all the answers?[lol][lol][lol]

I cant think of any other reason for them being here, other than to make pretty girls totally lose their cool when a wasp approaches them, and they run off with their boobies bouncing.
Biggup the wasps,, ;-)

karia
29-Aug-08, 21:33
[quote=northener;424995
It's like driving through a town that's had some mind-(and body)-bending dance drug put in it's water supply.:lol:[/quote]

In what way does that differ fie a normal drive thru Wick??;)

TBH
29-Aug-08, 21:34
Raaawrrrrr, put the claws back, they're retractable you know.:lol:

unicorn
29-Aug-08, 21:36
what's Wick ever done to you? :eek:

karia
29-Aug-08, 21:57
what's Wick ever done to you? :eek:

Wick has aye made me very welcome...and I'm aye impressed by the Weekers canny sense of humour and self deprecation......ifanow!:)

TBH
29-Aug-08, 22:09
Wick has aye made me very welcome...and I'm aye impressed by the Weekers canny sense of humour and self deprecation......ifanow!:)Aye, ifanow but you'll be chased oot the next time ye set foot o'er the border.[disgust]

karia
29-Aug-08, 22:12
Aye, ifanow but you'll be chased oot the next time ye set foot o'er the border.[disgust]

Ye reckon so.........

What for?

TBH
29-Aug-08, 22:16
Ye reckon so.........

What for?You cannot make light of a Wicker unless your family has lived there for over 100 years, even then you may be pushing your luck. You may be accused of being over familiar.[lol]

Kenn
29-Aug-08, 22:33
http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/wildfacts/factfiles/427.shtml

Some interesting facts that go to show wasps are not a total waste of space.

wifie
29-Aug-08, 22:34
Loads of wasps here too - I had three in the kitchen the other day I just open the window and let them out again! They give me the creeps but I don't dance Northener! ;)

karia
29-Aug-08, 22:35
You cannot make light of a Wicker unless your family has lived there for over 100 years, even then you may be pushing your luck. You may be accused of being over familiar.[lol]

That sounds reasonable....have ye met the ancestors?

Perhaps I should stipulate that bad driving in town centres is not agreeable to me in any form of stripey sweater.:)

My bestest and lovliest pal is a weeker so I get to push the envelope sometimes..so long as it has a KW postmark!;)

Venture
29-Aug-08, 22:50
Witnessed it myself today Northerner, they were everywhere causing mayhem. What I did notice about them is they are quite slow and flying near to the ground, a lot of folk were also stamping on them on the ground. Mind you it wasn't easy trying to convince my two dogs, who enjoy catching flies and the odd daddy-long-legs, that wasps aren't good to eat. It took a wee while but they got the message eventually.

balto
29-Aug-08, 22:51
Witnessed it myself today Northerner, they were everywhere causing mayhem. What I did notice about them is they are quite slow and flying near to the ground, a lot of folk were also stamping on them on the ground. Mind you it wasn't easy trying to convince my two dogs, who enjoy catching flies and the odd daddy-long-legs, that wasps aren't good to eat. It took a wee while but they got the message eventually.
my dog nd cat re the same, think it is good fun to try and catch them, not the brightest of ideas.

teenybash
29-Aug-08, 22:55
The wasps are now dying and this is their last attempt at extending their life.August aint a good month for wasps as they gather to find sugar to feed on....another week or two and they will be gone to wasp heaven or wherever they go.
To get rid of them round the garden put out a used jam pot with whatever is left and they will gorge themselves and pop their clogs......;)

karia
29-Aug-08, 23:01

They are dying off now Venture!

Sadly that means they have nothing to lose and have gathered loads of toxins on their travels.

Lots of people suffer from extreme reactions to bites and stings..!

TBH
29-Aug-08, 23:03
They are dying off now Venture!

Sadly that means they have nothing to lose and have gathered loads of toxins on their travels.

Lots of people suffer from extreme reactions to bites and stings..!Wasps do not sting indiscriminately, Karia.

Venture
29-Aug-08, 23:03
At the moment the poor daddy-long-legs seems to be the swatters target too. They don't bother me at all.

Just had a thought. What is the plural of daddy-long-legs?

Is it daddies-long-legs, daddy-long-leggies, or daddy-long-legi?[lol]

And before you say it TBH I know the proper name is crane flies.:lol:

TBH
29-Aug-08, 23:06
And before you say it TBH I know the proper name is crane flies.:lol:Are you trying to say that I'm pedantic?[lol]

karia
29-Aug-08, 23:14
Wasps do not sting indiscriminately, Karia.

You are quite correct TBH..their bitterness is directed only at their enemies...so unlike our own dear selves.:roll:

Welcomefamily
29-Aug-08, 23:20
Yes certainly a few about, have to get every one to start putting their jam jars out half filled with water, get rid of a few. Lots of daddy long legs as well.

Venture
29-Aug-08, 23:31
Are you trying to say that I'm pedantic?[lol]

Who me? Now would I do a thing like that?[lol]

So what's the plural then TBH?

Kevin Milkins
30-Aug-08, 00:13
I have a mortal fear of wasps.:eek:
Many years ago I was combining a field of barley with a combine without a cab. It was getting dark when I finnished the field and decided to do once around the next field as that gives you a good start for the next day.
I was about half way round and got the devider snarled on a bit of fence and got off the combine to clear it.
Before getting back on the combine I took the oppotunity to have a wee and while stood there noticed a lot of activity in the headlights of the combine and thought it was knats.
I was stung 3 times before I realised the combine harvester wheel was parked on a wasp nest and got stung another 11 times by the time I made a sharp exit on foot at high speed.:~(
I was never fond of them before, but now I am very afraid of them.:confused

Venture
30-Aug-08, 00:45
I have a mortal fear of wasps.:eek:
Many years ago I was combining a field of barley with a combine without a cab. It was getting dark when I finnished the field and decided to do once around the next field as that gives you a good start for the next day.
I was about half way round and got the devider snarled on a bit of fence and got off the combine to clear it.
Before getting back on the combine I took the oppotunity to have a wee and while stood there noticed a lot of activity in the headlights of the combine and thought it was knats.
I was stung 3 times before I realised the combine harvester wheel was parked on a wasp nest and got stung another 11 times by the time I made a sharp exit on foot at high speed.:~(
I was never fond of them before, but now I am very afraid of them.

We wont ask where you were stung Kevin.;) Ouch! x 14!

Tilter
30-Aug-08, 00:59
Northerner,
I unashamedly do the wasp dance. These things HURT like hell when they sting.

OH took his honey off the bees today. They are understandably enraged at having their winter food supplies stolen and inevitably a bunch of them accompany him back to the garage with the supers. Am avoiding garage.

There seem to be far less slugs this year. Has anyone else noticed a dearth of slugs and blackclocks? I know they can't sting or hurt me but these things give me the total willies so its been a good year slug-wise.

gollach
30-Aug-08, 02:36
There seem to be far less slugs this year.

Hundreds of slugs in my garden this year.

The Pepsi Challenge
30-Aug-08, 06:46
Wasps: neds of the insect world.

Thumper
30-Aug-08, 08:39
Northener I am one of thse people who dance about like an idiot when wasps are around,but like Kevin I have an excuse for my uncontrollable fear,I was attacked by a swarm of wasps and was stung everywhere!:eek: They were in my mouth,ears,nose and a few other places that I wont mention, so now when I see or hear one I am off!I have left the car at traffic lights because somebody opened the window and one got in,I have left my child in a pram and taken off (not that I am proud of it) and I never have my windows open in the summer for fear of one getting in!They are the most horrible things ever and I am terrified of them,even tried hypno theraphy but it didnt help x

lynne duncan
30-Aug-08, 08:54
i don't mind them but rest of my family are wasp dancers esp. 7year old son he got stung last year and now is quite petrified of them. much to his horrid sister's fun, if he is annoying her now all she has to do is point and say wasp and that sends him running -little toerage that she is.
but they do become very kamikazi just now

binbob
30-Aug-08, 10:21
I understand bees, they make honey and yes they sting us.

Wasps, what is the point of wasps?

Oh and wasps have been out in force in Thurso and Halkirk as well. I noticed one dive bombing my patio doors, think it must have knocked itself out. Yay...do the "Wasp dance" (think Bartman).

me too..in halkirk..every time i open my door..in they come,but they die!!i have been stung ..very painful...and i do not want my dogs to be stung.a friend un usa ..she lost her young cocker to a wasp sting.
had another friend who drank out of her juice can and was promptly stung in her mouth.
thank fully she was not allergic.
i hate wasps..

Welcomefamily
30-Aug-08, 10:32
I not seen a wasps nests up here? as a kids you use to find them in the orchards often around a Morgan Sweet apple tree, these big white things. We would shoot ball bearings at them with our catipult and run like mad. I still dont like them. :lol:

trix
30-Aug-08, 15:37
Aye, ifanow but you'll be chased oot the next time ye set foot o'er the border.[disgust]

no she wilna....

teenybash
30-Aug-08, 16:15
Hundreds of slugs in my garden this year.

I haven't seen one black slug this year..........I have 5 leopard slugs that eat them, courtesy of a sack of potaoes given me last year from over west......:eek:

northener
30-Aug-08, 16:17
Northerner,
I unashamedly do the wasp dance. These things HURT like hell when they sting.

OH took his honey off the bees today. They are understandably enraged at having their winter food supplies stolen and inevitably a bunch of them accompany him back to the garage with the supers. Am avoiding garage.

Years ago, I attended a beginners course on Beekeeping - very interesting and I've always promised myself one day that I'd have a couple of hives.

During one of the sessions, the subject got around to wasps.
The guy teaching us said that we should leave them alone in the Spring - if possible - as they were a great help in the garden. (I think he meant they murdered grubs etc, not helping by mowing the lawn...). He said wait until later in the year and than 'do them in' if they were a nuisance.

TBH
30-Aug-08, 16:38
no she wilna....Why would she be?.

porshiepoo
30-Aug-08, 17:44
Wasps do not sting indiscriminately, Karia.

I beg to differ. The ruddy things chase you and sting at every opportunity.

I got stung 3 times on my back the other day. :( I kind of took it as Karma as I'd killed one the day before, but still!

The blinkin things are everywhere at the moment and yes, I've done the Wasp dance, several times over the last few days.
My greenhouse is full of them so I sprayed wasp killer in there and shut the door on them - mass murder - but I figure I saved many many people from being chased and stung by the dratted things. Aren't I a hero!!!!:eek:

dragonfly
30-Aug-08, 18:10
I got stung 3 times on my back the other day. :( I kind of took it as Karma as I'd killed one the day before

Oh heck!!!!!! I've killed dozens this past two days so hope its not Karma or I'm going to be suffering :eek: my daughter (who has never been stung) doesn't do the wasp dance but stands there and screams at such a high pitch she can break windows half way up the street! :confused

Kenn
30-Aug-08, 18:34
http://www.essortment.com/all/waspsstingstre_rxwu.htm

telfordstar
30-Aug-08, 21:40
Oh heck!!!!!! I've killed dozens this past two days so hope its not Karma or I'm going to be suffering :eek: my daughter (who has never been stung) doesn't do the wasp dance but stands there and screams at such a high pitch she can break windows half way up the street! :confused

Oh i have a daughter who does the exact same thing. Ive found over the last few days if a wasp so happens to pop in the window i grab the first thing i can to get it out or kill it ive foung cilit bang works prett:lol:y well

Julia
30-Aug-08, 22:44
I hate the damn things, I have one of those bats that electrocutes them on impact, I get great satisfaction from watching them spark and then they go up in a puff of smoke [lol] I kill probably in the region of about 10 a day in my house. I put some honey in the bottom of a jar today with a hole in the lid but it has caught nothing!

Wasps are malicious and will sting you just for the heck of it.

Cuddly toys come in all shapes and sizes but I ain't never seen a cuddly wasp!

northener
31-Aug-08, 00:20
I hate the damn things, I have one of those bats that electrocutes them on impact..........

You have an electric bat for hitting wasps?:eek:

I want one!

Even though I like wasps.

Welcomefamily
31-Aug-08, 00:25
Well I counted 14 bees in one flower bed today and no wasps.

porshiepoo
31-Aug-08, 10:29
I hate the damn things, I have one of those bats that electrocutes them on impact, I get great satisfaction from watching them spark and then they go up in a puff of smoke [lol] I kill probably in the region of about 10 a day in my house. I put some honey in the bottom of a jar today with a hole in the lid but it has caught nothing!

Wasps are malicious and will sting you just for the heck of it.

Cuddly toys come in all shapes and sizes but I ain't never seen a cuddly wasp!

I want one of those bats! Can they be used on kids and hubby's!!!!?:lol:

Julia
31-Aug-08, 13:45
You have an electric bat for hitting wasps?:eek:

I want one!

Even though I like wasps.

I want one of those bats! Can they be used on kids and hubby's!!!!?:lol:

It's great and well worth the money, mine was about £5 inc postage, here is a link to some on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LARGE-NEW-FLY-WASP-GNAT-MOTH-INSECT-BUG-KILLER-Bat-P_W0QQitemZ200250335253QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item200 250335253&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A2%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14)

When the wasp or fly etc has fried it kindly stick to the bat so you just need to tap it out of a window or into the bin. I feel very brave with my bat, I even take it to the washing line now LOL

I wouldn't try it out on the bairns, it's only two AA batteries but it does give off quite a zap, my son's father won't be putting his fingers in there again! :eek:

Dynamic Sounds
31-Aug-08, 13:51
I don't like wasps - well not after yesterday! I was always one of those people who would stand still and the slowly move away from them, well not not!

Was standing outside my parents house with my dad loading the car and we were standing still for a mintue, and i felt the sharp sting in my arm just below my elbow! Did the first aid of pouring vinigar over the sting to neutralise it, and then watched as a wee bump swelled nicely!

For the rest of the day at the Dammies I seemed to attract wasps, counted 3 or 4 of the wee things that I had to avoid.

telfordstar
31-Aug-08, 14:29
It's great and well worth the money, mine was about £5 inc postage, here is a link to some on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LARGE-NEW-FLY-WASP-GNAT-MOTH-INSECT-BUG-KILLER-Bat-P_W0QQitemZ200250335253QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item200 250335253&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A2%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14)

When the wasp or fly etc has fried it kindly stick to the bat so you just need to tap it out of a window or into the bin. I feel very brave with my bat, I even take it to the washing line now LOL

I wouldn't try it out on the bairns, it's only two AA batteries but it does give off quite a zap, my son's father won't be putting his fingers in there again! :eek:
Had a look on ebay at that bat. Brilliant what in earths name will they come up with next. Think i might invest in one.

lynne duncan
31-Aug-08, 19:50
we were at the east end tournament yesterday, and it seemed to be a walkover for the wasps, never seen so many folk being stung in such a short time. felt sorry for one family, their lad got stung and within half an hour their younger son got stung too!
Louise the photographer was doing a brill job of sting removal and sting treatment.
note must buy myslef a tin of waspeze tomorrow as htere is another tournament next weekend

unicorn
31-Aug-08, 20:09
I got my bat out of whatsits in Thurso last year, I am a bit scared of it though when they crack on it :eek: wooos but it is so loud :lol:

catran
31-Aug-08, 20:11
put some honey in a jar an they will all go there ang caNT GET OUT.

horseman
31-Aug-08, 20:17
they are no all that bad-we get them come in the window at work an canny see how to get out again, so I put the flat of my hand under them an very gently raise the hand up to the open fly window---an I have never ever been bitten-an the force of the wind from their wings on the back of your hand has to be seen to be experienced..I do it all the time ,good fun:D

AfternoonDelight
01-Sep-08, 11:28
The Wasp Whisperer... ;)

Welcomefamily
01-Sep-08, 11:35
I want to work with you by placing up a nice friend wasp animated avatar so you can all see that not all wasps are harmful and that there is no need to do a wasp dance. But its not working at the moment. :lol:

trix
01-Sep-08, 13:53
Why would she be?.

choost let it bee ;)