PDA

View Full Version : A Question of Waste

Tilter
29-Aug-08, 09:57
Garden waste to be precise.

(OK, wasn't sure whether to put this in Gardening section but I think question is re waste rather than gardens and mods can move it.)

I don't want to compost weeds. I've got a wheelie bin's worth at the mo (due to OH not keeping on top of his veggie patch).
(a) I don't think it should go to landfill.
(b) I can't burn it easily because earth attached, damp, etc. and I keep wearing out those little incinerator thingies you buy and they're expensive.
(c) We live in the country and I could tip it over a fence into a field that's full of other weeds, but that can't be right.

Does Wick and Thurso have brown wheelie bins? (I can't remember.) Anyway, I don't - so how do I stop garden waste going to landfill? Does the recycling place take it bagged (difficult) as recyclable? Advice appreciated.

Julia
29-Aug-08, 11:32
The recycling center does accept garden waste, rubble and soil. They have a huge yellow skip specifically for bits of trees, plants, weeds etc.. :D

Tilter
29-Aug-08, 11:41
The recycling center does accept garden waste, rubble and soil. They have a huge yellow skip specifically for bits of trees, plants, weeds etc.. :D

Julia, thanks for that. It's not handy for tree trimming - no van, no trailer, no tow bar - but I can bag the small stuff and take it. What does the recycling centre do with it all and what does it come out recycled as?

badger
29-Aug-08, 16:10
I have a nasty feeling that garden waste finishes up in landfill anyway. I have 3 composters and find that most of what I put in, which includes kitchen waste, just disappears. Don't know where and don't ask. The wee mouse that lives in one never hangs around long enough for conversation. I've got a large pile of bigger stuff sitting by my gate hoping someone might come along with a trailer and take it to Seater but even that seems to be gradually reducing and I'm pretty sure if I mixed it with the large pile of grass mowings sitting in my nature reserve it would all disappear.

A nature reserve is a very good idea - you can justify it by quoting Bill Oddie and saying you're doing your bit for the ecology and it covers a multitude of sins.

Now I know why you never came to weed my garden - too busy weeding your own. Honestly, the selfishness of some people ;)

Tilter
30-Aug-08, 01:15
I have a nasty feeling that garden waste finishes up in landfill anyway. I have 3 composters and find that most of what I put in, which includes kitchen waste, just disappears. Don't know where and don't ask. The wee mouse that lives in one never hangs around long enough for conversation. I've got a large pile of bigger stuff sitting by my gate hoping someone might come along with a trailer and take it to Seater but even that seems to be gradually reducing and I'm pretty sure if I mixed it with the large pile of grass mowings sitting in my nature reserve it would all disappear.

A nature reserve is a very good idea - you can justify it by quoting Bill Oddie and saying you're doing your bit for the ecology and it covers a multitude of sins.

Now I know why you never came to weed my garden - too busy weeding your own. Honestly, the selfishness of some people ;)

Badger, I'll get round to your weeds one fine day. I'd forgotten. However, you've set me thinking. I have 3 composters too. They do make compost inspite of you thinking it all disappears. However, next time I empty one, I can just keep filling it with my nasty weeds and they'll pretty much disappear enough to make room for more weeds the next year, if you get my drift, and I'll just never empty it. I think you've solved my problem. Cheers.

MadPict
30-Aug-08, 16:42
Our local council takes all compostible waste in the green wheelie bins - everything that is/was organic can be put in the bins. Including kitchen waste (meat, bones, peelings etc) and it is all composted down and, when ready, bagged up and sold.
They even have a one bag per household giveaway every so often.
Maybe if residents/rate payers pestered the local council enough you could get such a scheme (rather than just filling up the landfill)?