PDA

View Full Version : Honesty doesnt pay....sometimes

cuddlepop
28-Aug-08, 20:30
When you apply for a job and your asked for references,preferably from your last employer and you still work for them what are you suppose to do.:confused
Oh was honest and told his boss he had applied for another job and on Tuesday he was told he was no longer required.
Its not a case of last in, two have started after him and are just as unhappy with the compulsory extra hours...at straight time.This works out at 60plus per week.:(

Unfortunatly the Health board never even replyed to his application so it was all for nothing.

What are you suppose to do......

Nibbler
28-Aug-08, 20:57
I'm so sorry to hear that Cuddlepop.

I had the same done on me a few years back but I was, luckily, taken on for the job I applied for.

I worked with horses when I was younger and met a few real cuties of bosses. I always swore then, when I was older, that I would not stand for any carry on with bosses and I haven't.

Luckily, where I am just now, its okay. I would hate to be in that situation again though. Not nice :mad:

Bobinovich
28-Aug-08, 20:58
Is there a case for Unfair Dismissal (http://www.employment-law-expert.co.uk/unfair_1.htm)? It may be worth consulting a solicitor...

Bad Manners
28-Aug-08, 21:11
it ia always best to tell your prospective employer that you do not want them contacting your current employer untill they offer you the job most new employers would agree to this especially if you have had previous employments. I would never advise a person to tell their current employer untill the new job is offered.
It is really sad that this has happened however all you can do is look forward and try and find a alternative post.
Best of luck for the future

teenybash
28-Aug-08, 21:22
Feel so bad for you.....let's hope the old saying, 'Every cloud has a silver lining,' is true.
Hopefully something better will turn up soon......................and I agree, look into unfair dismissal.

Thinking of you and your oh..............

brokencross
28-Aug-08, 21:49
with the compulsory extra hours...at straight time.This works out at 60plus per week.

I am sure the EU Working Time Directive says an employer can only insist you work up to 48 hours...after that they have to ask your permission for you to work longer. Certain professions are exempt but

The basic rights and protections that the Regulations provide are:

a limit of an average of 48 hours a week which a worker can be required to work (though workers can choose to work more if they want to).
a limit of an average of 8 hours work in 24 which nightworkers can be required to work.
a right for night workers to receive free health assessments.
a right to 11 hours rest a day.
a right to a day off each week.
a right to an in-work rest break if the working day is longer than 6 hours.
a right to 4 weeks paid leave per year.

EDDIE
29-Aug-08, 11:35
When you apply for a job and your asked for references,preferably from your last employer and you still work for them what are you suppose to do.:confused
Oh was honest and told his boss he had applied for another job and on Tuesday he was told he was no longer required.
Its not a case of last in, two have started after him and are just as unhappy with the compulsory extra hours...at straight time.This works out at 60plus per week.:(

Unfortunatly the Health board never even replyed to his application so it was all for nothing.

What are you suppose to do......

You shouldnt have told your current employer that you applied for another job.When you are applying for another job its ok to give them your current employers details for a reference because they wil only contact them after your interview and if there wanting to employ u.And i dont no if u know a lot of companys want a reference from your present work just the way some company policys work.

Tilter
29-Aug-08, 11:38
it ia always best to tell your prospective employer that you do not want them contacting your current employer untill they offer you the job most new employers would agree to this especially if you have had previous employments. I would never advise a person to tell their current employer untill the new job is offered.
It is really sad that this has happened however all you can do is look forward and try and find a alternative post.
Best of luck for the future

What Bad Manners is saying is sad but true, Cuddlepop, but it's the way business works.

cuddlepop
29-Aug-08, 17:25
You shouldnt have told your current employer that you applied for another job.When you are applying for another job its ok to give them your current employers details for a reference because they wil only contact them after your interview and if there wanting to employ u.And i dont no if u know a lot of companys want a reference from your present work just the way some company policys work.

What we were afraid of is that a reference request would have gone in before interview and the last thing Oh wanted was his boss finding out that way.:eek:

Geo
29-Aug-08, 17:35
Has he been working there long? If more than a year I think it is they can't just pay him off without good reason.

cuddlepop
29-Aug-08, 17:47
Has he been working there long? If more than a year I think it is they can't just pay him off without good reason.

Only four months and with no contract we've got no case.:~(

Gizmo
29-Aug-08, 18:10
I always just write 'References Will Be Provided Upon Request/Offer Of Employment' in any application forms, i also have it included in my C.V, i would never tell an employer i was applying for work elsewhere, it's just way to risky, i do feel sorry for what has happened to your O.H, pick up the phone and report this employer to the relevant authorities, sounds like they are surely breaking some laws.

percy toboggan
29-Aug-08, 20:49
It would be highly unusual down here for a new employer to take up references before giving a definite offer of employment - subject to satisfactory references.

cuddlepop
30-Aug-08, 09:06
It would be highly unusual down here for a new employer to take up references before giving a definite offer of employment - subject to satisfactory references.

as they say percy you live and learn.

Its been twenty years plus since Oh was looking for a job and its a steep learning curve he's on.:(

Angela
30-Aug-08, 09:20
I'm afraid your OH was a bit too honest for his own good, cp. :( As Percy says, employers don't usually take up references until they're about to make a job offer.

Still. The fact someone's looking around for another job doesn't mean their present employer should fire them on the spot! [evil] A pretty high percentage of folk are looking for a better job all the time.

I do hope Mr Cuddlepop finds a job with a more reasonable employer soon.

cuddlepop
30-Aug-08, 09:52
I'm afraid your OH was a bit too honest for his own good, cp. :( As Percy says, employers don't usually take up references until they're about to make a job offer.

Still. The fact someone's looking around for another job doesn't mean their present employer should fire them on the spot! [evil] A pretty high percentage of folk are looking for a better job all the time.

I do hope Mr Cuddlepop finds a job with a more reasonable employer soon.

Angela I've been at job interviews when my references have been in front of employers in the past but i must admit we had our reservations about putting his present employer down.

I should have trusted my instincts.:roll:

Welcomefamily
30-Aug-08, 10:17

It is very common practice to take references up before the interview, if you offer a job subject to references and then you find that during the telephone call or the references does not reach expectation then you have to start again. Another advert etc. Far better to do the whole process in one.

Welcomefamily
30-Aug-08, 10:19
Have you asked for the former employer to give his reasons in writing for the dismissal as he legally has to do this.

I would have named and shamed them as well.

[evil]http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1998/19981833.htm#4

working time directive.

rockchick
01-Sep-08, 17:01
In retrospect your OH should certainly have used two other references, especially as he'd only been in his job for 4 months. If they'd specifically asked for his employer as a reference, he should have been asked whether or not it was okay for them to contact this reference in advance.

hotrod4
01-Sep-08, 17:38
Only four months and with no contract we've got no case.:~(

In the same predicamnet as your OH, I was 6 months with no contract but was reliably informed that a contract has to be given after 2 months, checking that one out at the moment, if I find out more will PM you.
Good luck

cuddlepop
01-Sep-08, 19:29
In the same predicamnet as your OH, I was 6 months with no contract but was reliably informed that a contract has to be given after 2 months, checking that one out at the moment, if I find out more will PM you.
Good luck

Thanks Hotrod.
I think this is going to be a sign of future redundacys to come.
the most galling thing about Oh predicament is boss was suppose to be a "friend".:~(

Mik.M.
05-Sep-08, 19:48
C.P Unfortunatly the words Boss & Friend rarely go together as I found out. Friend for almost 20 yrs. Boss for 3 months,now neither. I have learnt the lesson.