PDA

View Full Version : Places You Dreamed of Going When You Were a Kid?

Tilter
28-Aug-08, 16:10
Were there special totally magical places you dreamed of going as a child? Why? And have you been?

Mine were (in no particular order):

Outer Hebrides
Mexico
Turkey
Novaya Zemlya

I've still never been to the Western Isles. I've been to Mexico loads of times (well, Baja California, which is still Mexico). I've never been to Turkey (seen it from Kos). I've never been to Novaya Zemlya but my OH has and he's totally put me off it.

superted
28-Aug-08, 16:12
Button moon:lol:

Sapphire2803
28-Aug-08, 16:15
I always wanted to go to fraggle rock, still do. I think I would fit in nicely.

Real places didn't appeal to me when I was younger and I don't even hold a passport, so I've never been anywhere exciting as an adult.

Do you need a passport for Fraggle Rock?

twiglet
28-Aug-08, 16:16
Anywhere that wasn't in London.

Shetland was on my list and still is, I'll get there one day.

Still need to see Paris properly as was passing through last time I was there and had no time to stop and stare.

trix
28-Aug-08, 16:16
iv always wanted til go til 'e moon....(some say am already wired til 'e moon) :confused

i guess am half way there, iv bought an acre o' land, now all i need is transport ;)

arana negra
28-Aug-08, 16:24
Anywhere in the world although I love Scotland and want to visit it all again and maybe live there again.

I have been so lucky in the last 4 years to have visited all these places, some only for a day ! (husbands work)

Brussels,Krakow,Tallin,Prague,Dresden,Gibraltar,Po rtugal,Copenhagen,
Balaton Furid, Sofia, Riga, Vilnuis, Istanbul, Siofok
Belgrade,Budapest,Zagreb,Nicosia,Malta,
Bucharest,Warsaw, Ireland as well as trips to England and back to Scotland.

They all had something I liked and have many photos to remind us of the visits. Many I would love to return to.

Venture
28-Aug-08, 16:30
I remember when I was little that I kept hearing people say "the grass is always greener on the other side" but nobody could tell me where the other side was, and I wanted to go there.:(

Other places Hawaii, Barbados and Canada. Haven't managed to get to any of them yet, including the other side...maybe some day.;)

Kevin Milkins
28-Aug-08, 16:47
Always went to Barry Island as a nipper .:) We knew posh people went to Porthcoal or even Western-Super- Mare.:(
Been to many places since but Barry holds lots of childhood memorys for me.:D

Nibbler
28-Aug-08, 17:37
As a kid, I really wanted to go back in time to when the Western films were all set. The only mode of transport back then was horses - would have been a dream come true for me!!

Now, as an adult (well, supposed to be), I would love to go to America to one of the working cattle ranches and be a real cowboy for a week. Eat your heart out John Wayne - after a week in the saddle my knees would be strangers for a month (or more) :lol:

Its funny how some things from childhood follow you when your older

canuck
28-Aug-08, 19:22
Were there special totally magical places you dreamed of going as a child? Why? And have you been?

Edinburgh, which was a far away dream for a kid in Winnipeg aka Caithness West.

My first visit to Edinburgh was far from magical. I was here for only a few days and at the height of the misery of morning sickness. But, things can change in 22 years, so never give up on your dreams.

Welcomefamily
28-Aug-08, 19:29
Yes I spent a summer in Porthcoal, and lots in Weston or Bideford, I also went to Barry Island which was fun.

Always went to Barry Island as a nipper .:) We knew posh people went to Porthcoal or even Western-Super- Mare.:(

Been to many places since but Barry holds lots of childhood memorys for me.:D

KCI
28-Aug-08, 19:30
I always wanted to go to Disneyland!
Obviously I haven't really grown up yet, because I still want to go! :lol:

Planning to take the kids to Eurodisney in a couple of years though. ;)

Margaret M.
28-Aug-08, 19:44
Edinburgh, which was a far away dream for a kid in Winnipeg aka Caithness West.

Canuck, I don't know your whole story but good for you for making your dream a reality -- not just visiting but pulling up roots and moving there.

arana negra
28-Aug-08, 19:51
Ooops I missed out an overnight in Paris on way back from Malta ! cancelled flights due to severe food poisoning meant odd route home here.

Also recent holiday in Tobago :D

golach
28-Aug-08, 19:53
I guess I was lucky, as a child all I wanted to do was go to sea, which I did. And I saw and went to many places, some I had dreamed about and others you would not want to have in your worst nightmares

Solus
28-Aug-08, 19:58
I like to travel and have been lucky enough to ahve grown up in a family that travelled a lot. Since then I have made it to most places that have interested me and dreamt of going, still a few countries to go though,

Morroco, Lybia and Algeria, but working on them.

wifie
28-Aug-08, 20:07
Never had a huge wanderlust but would like to visit New Zealand and Canada - kinda like Scotland I suppose! Always fancy cold places - would love to experience the vastness of the North Pole and I think Iceland would be amazing. My favourite place I have been to is Austria which I adore - have only been during the summer tho although one September there was early snow which was amazing!

northener
28-Aug-08, 20:12
I guess I was lucky, as a child all I wanted to do was go to sea, which I did. And I saw and went to many places, some I had dreamed about and others you would not want to have in your worst nightmares

Same as Golach - word for word.....

bky
28-Aug-08, 20:13
when i was peedie i always wanted to go to the "Double Deckers" yard
nowadays i fancy Seattle to see the "Seahawks" and maybe a coffee
or Singapore where dad was in RAF rescue team during his National Service

percy toboggan
28-Aug-08, 20:26
Maine Road,
onto the pitch via the players tunnel
dressed in a sky blue shirt .

Never managed it by that route...nowt wrong wi' dreamin'

bky
28-Aug-08, 20:28
having watched tonights game -- Grab yer shirt your starting next game:lol:

joxville
28-Aug-08, 20:39
I've always wanted to go to the moon since I was 4 yrs old and watched Neil Armstrong step on it. I've visited it many times in daydreams, which I still do as an adult, but I know it'll never happen for real.

Iceland followed by Canada are more realistic ambitions.

Bad Manners
28-Aug-08, 21:22
been all round the world several times and seen some very nice countrys and some realy nice friendly people however all this was worked base but in saying that now I have no great desire to go there as there is so much here on my door step. Travelling is fun but it's nice to come home
p.s. do you notice how patriotic people are when they are abroad kinda strange when they are not that way at home.

trix
28-Aug-08, 22:45
I've always wanted to go to the moon since I was 4 yrs old and watched Neil Armstrong step on it. I've visited it many times in daydreams, which I still do as an adult, but I know it'll never happen for real.

if ye ever get 'e chance let me know an il let ye stay on ma land ;)

percy toboggan
28-Aug-08, 22:56
having watched tonights game -- Grab yer shirt your starting next game:lol:
I know...they lurch from dire to pretty awful these days. I'd not cross the road to watch 'em now to be honest(or any other top flight team...but I could get hooked on a club like Brora Rangers...I did catch the last bit of extra time tonight/penalties...City never do things easily and the fans who have stuck by them all these years deserve a medal, or certifying...or both.:lol:...one of football's great soap operas MCFC :roll:

Tilter
29-Aug-08, 09:27
As a kid, I really wanted to go back in time to when the Western films were all set. The only mode of transport back then was horses - would have been a dream come true for me!!

Aaahhh!!! Time travel – I’d not considered that. Now I’ll have to revise my whole list. Second thoughts maybe not – I think we are living in the best possible time that we know about so far. Well – us in Scotland maybe.

[LEFT]Always went to Barry Island as a nipper

I forgot about Barry. Used to go there in my early 20’s. It was brilliant. Maybe I’ll go back one day.

Rheghead
29-Aug-08, 09:36
I always wanted to go over the Lakeland hills with the trail hound scent dragging behind. I was always going to trail hound meets but wanted to be a part of the organisation of it all.

TBH
29-Aug-08, 09:56
Anywhere that wasn't in London.

Shetland was on my list and still is, I'll get there one day.

Still need to see Paris properly as was passing through last time I was there and had no time to stop and stare.A poor life this if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare.
I have always wanted to visit egypt but the closest I got was a virtual tour of the great pyramid.

Tilter
29-Aug-08, 10:02
I always wanted to go over the Lakeland hills with the trail hound scent dragging behind. I was always going to trail hound meets but wanted to be a part of the organisation of it all.

Rheggie, excuse ignorance but what's a trail hound and what do trail hound meets do? Is this the fox-less foxhunting thing?

Rheghead
29-Aug-08, 10:19
Rheggie, excuse ignorance but what's a trail hound and what do trail hound meets do? Is this the fox-less foxhunting thing?

There is an entry on Wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hound_Trailing

Most were in conjunction with agricultural shows etc rather than just a trail. The excitement of seeing your hound in the distance is great! :)

Tilter
29-Aug-08, 11:35
Most were in conjunction with agricultural shows etc rather than just a trail. The excitement of seeing your hound in the distance is great! :)

Thanks Rheg, they are nice-looking dogs.

(I was worried - thought maybe it was the new-style fox-hunting that uses a human. Had a terrible vision of you loping across fells with WWindy on your tail/trail in hot pursuit.)