PDA

View Full Version : Tripod Advice

wicker05
28-Aug-08, 13:12
Folks-I'm planning buying a new tripod, any advice on what make etc, I should go for?:confused

North Light
28-Aug-08, 13:37
How much do you want to spend, what are you going to use it for and are you worried about weight.

I use Manfrotto and Gitzo tripods, have also used Benbo previously, I recommend Manfrotto as a good price/quality compromise, Gitzo make beautiful tripods, but they are expensive.
If you are going to use the tripod on the sea shore, and going to get it in salt water the Benbo tripods are worth a look.

Ffordes have some ex-demo Manfrotto tripods and heads for sale, good reductions and worth a look.
www.ffordes.com/
Look in secondhand items.

Generally a second hand quality tripod is a better buy than a cheap lightweight new tripod.

Tugmistress
28-Aug-08, 13:41
Depends really, don't bother with anything 'cheap' as more often than not they are too wobbly for a lot of shots if there is a slight breeze, of which there can be quite often in caithness ;)
This is my only gripe about up here, we have nowhere to go except inverness to try these things out, you need a sturdy one, reasonable heavy if it is going to withstand any sort of long exposure shots outside, but not heavy enough that you feel uncomfortable carrying it around with you all the time.

got mine off ebay, £38 inc delivery, second hand manfrotto, suits me fine, not overly large, reduces down for carrying around with ease.

Deemac
28-Aug-08, 13:46
Manfrotto gets my vote also. I also recommend a swivel ball type head. I found the heavy duty 3 way heads a nightmare to position on the fly. Far too fiddly and confusing in the heat of the momment!! (more suited to studio work)

wicker05
28-Aug-08, 14:54
Thanks for the advice folks :) Going to scan the web for Manfrotto tripods.
thanks again.