PDA

View Full Version : Is there Vet as a member on here ?

arana negra
27-Aug-08, 22:18
I want to ask some questions re our pup and the ticks she had a few weeks ago and lameness.

teenybash
27-Aug-08, 22:24
Arana, I'm not a vet but, I would take your little bundle and have her checked over. The tic may have left a pocket of infection in the muscle and would need treating. If there is any heat in the area you could be looking at an abcess that would need to be dealt with.......something is certainly amiss as her lameness should have cleared by now......don't worry though as she will be fine. Keep us posted on her progress :)

Liz
27-Aug-08, 23:06
Totally agree with Teenybash.

It does sound like the tic has caused some kind of irritation/infection which in turn will be causing the lameness.

My dog Beny went lame last week and I was really worried as it was the leg he badly damaged when he was a puppy. He kept licking his paw and, on inspection, we found a red patch. I bathed it in Colloidal Silver and Aloe Vera which helped a bit.
Then we found a dead wasp on the kitchen floor and, putting two and two together, came to the conclusion that he must have been stung by the wasp.
I gave him the homeopathic remedy Apis Mel and,after a few doses, he was as right as rain!

Here's hoping your wee doggie will be fine soon.

PS There is a homeopathic Vet who you can email for advice if you like. Will be back with his address!........

Liz
27-Aug-08, 23:12
Sorry I just had a look at his website and he will only give advice for animals under his care which is understandable.

It would be best for your doggy to be seen by a Vet anyway as no one will be able to diagnose at a distance. Any kind of irritation can cause a dog to go lame.

arana negra
27-Aug-08, 23:20
sorry been trying to write reply but our blooming internet here is playing silly beggars :mad:

hope it works this time written reply 3 times now ! the ticks were removed fairly quickly and cleanly, no sign of infection all clear and clean, no heat. She was at the vets a few days after that as she was limping. he didnt think it was connected, he checked her over, she did whimper when he touched her leg, he did an x ray and found nothing. He gave her an anti inflamatory injection and weeks worth of tablets to take. By the time she had to go to the kennels on the 16th she was much better. When we collected her she was limping again and got worse, was not good over the saturday/sunday/monday but much better last night and today. Still limping but not so bad and much more like her self. I am worried that any time of inactivity leads to stiffness. It is very hot and humid and that may be contributing to her inactivity also.

arana negra
27-Aug-08, 23:23
thanks to you both for replies and concern :-)

Liz
28-Aug-08, 12:48
It sounds as if she may have a bit of arthritis as this is often worse after rest.

I would highly recommend a magnetic collar and you can get a really good one from a company called Pets Megastore.

Although they are in Australia they ship worldwide and the collar only costs about £7 upwards I think.:D

Liz
28-Aug-08, 12:54
Here you go http://www.pets-megastore.com.au/index.php?cPath=165_170

Margaret M.
28-Aug-08, 15:01
Like Liz said, it may well be arthritis particularly if it comes and goes. One of my doggies has it and some days he's fine and some days he can hardly walk. I get acupuncture treatments when he has a flare up and those really help a lot.

arana negra
29-Aug-08, 10:35
Thanks for link re collar, I had a quick look last night but need more info, our wee Scally is chipped and I wonder about the affect magnet might have on it, need to research that bit but like the idea of it. Scally is no better no worse, so going to vets later tonight to see what he says.

Just found this .... Micro-chipped Pets
Micro-chips contain a unique code to identify your pet if lost. This number is "hard coded" onto the chip which means that it cannot be effected by magnetic influences either of an electromagnetic nature or the static type of permanent magnets used in our magnetic dog collars.

So now I need to find the spanish words to ask the question of the vet.

Liz
29-Aug-08, 12:47
Benjy is micro-chipped and he wears a magnetic collar with no problems.

Hope wee Scally gets on okay at the Vets.

arana negra
29-Aug-08, 18:25
Miss Scally has been to see the vet, she is his favourite client I reckon she is so good he said. He examined her and watched her walk, asked loads of questions and up shot is he does believe it could be as a result of tick but it is rare, It may have caused inflamation or it may be a touch of arthritis. He gave her another anti inflamatory injection and a weeks tablets. We have to keep her very calm and go back if no improvement. Then he will be looking at tests for arthritis.

I will be looking into the magnetic collar or bed options and anything else that may help recovery.

Many thanks to all who showed an interest and volunteered helpful info. They are a worry but a great joy. :D

teenybash
29-Aug-08, 19:02
I bet you feel relieved that Miss Scallys' possible ailment is reduced to two....your mind will settle now and not be tripping off into the wild blue yonder imagining all sorts.........
One of my old hounds has athritis and becomes sore and stiff. I started giving her the Pedigree chews for joint care and within 48hrs she was as fit as a fiddle. When I checked the ingredients they contain Green Lipped Mussels.
At the moment I am trying to source green lipped mussel as a canine food supplement.......I know it is great for humans aswell. :)

arana negra
31-Aug-08, 22:42
Since injection on friday and tablets she is so much better, by the evening of the injection she has markedly improved and has not limped since. 6 more days of tablets and a few of keeping her calm and she will be back to running around I reckon. :D

teenybash
31-Aug-08, 23:15
Really good news about Miss Scally feeling better....sounds as if it has been a pocket of iflamation.......maybe the tic or athritis.
Cuddles for her winging their way.......:D

Liz
01-Sep-08, 13:06
So glad that wee Scally is doing so much better!:D

It is awful when our beloved pets are ill in pain and such a relief when they recover.

Lots of cuddles from me too!