PDA

View Full Version : fish feeding blocks

Dadie
27-Aug-08, 20:17
Can anyone tell me how good are the fish feeding blocks are as we are going away for a few days and they seem tempting to use rather than getting someone in everyday to feed the fish?

Julia
27-Aug-08, 20:21
They are quite reliable, they also come in different sizes. I've used them a few times before with no problems, you can however leave your fish for up to 10 days without food and it will do them no harm but I wouldn't fancy that option if I were a fish :eek:

Dadie
27-Aug-08, 20:35
forgot to mention its tropical fish ...does that make any difference?

We have about 25 in our tank mostly little things different varieties of tetras but we have a large greedy gibbyceps (sp) too!

marlyn
28-Aug-08, 13:53
I wouldn't use the white chalk pyramid ones. We use Tetra holiday sticks and have left our fish for a fortnight, all absolutely fine.

We only have goldfish though.

Used a chalk one once as it was all we had, and when we came back from our weekend away we had lost our plec - devastated! We are quite convinced that it was because of the plaster in these white pyramids.

teenybash
28-Aug-08, 22:21
My daughter has tropical and has used the feedings sticks......no probs and fish were all fine on her return. :)

justine
29-Aug-08, 20:12
Depending on how long your going away for, how long your tank has been established and if there is enough natural food in the tank.what types of fish you have in the tank.
Some fish like plecos,catfish,cordys can survive on whats lurking about on the bottom

sharks and other algae eaters will do ok for up to a week

The likes of cichlid, chacharins,live bearers(guppies,mollies,platties) for 3 days at the most,siamese fighters, and tetras 2 days at the most.

Tropical fish do better if they are fed atleast every 2 days, they cant go that many days without,

When you go away you will need to get someone to turn the lights on and off unless you have a timer, they need atleast 8-12 sunlight a day, if you dont have someone i recommend a timer, fish can suffer, although i am sure someone will be able to tell you different..

If it was coldwater i would say no longer than 5 days between feeding..

Hope this helps..oh and your gibiceps will be fine, if you drop some slow dissolving algae tablets in the tank..
Do you have live plants in it.

Dadie
31-Aug-08, 17:27
We have solved the problem altogether by asking someone to feed them while we are away but I am still going to get some of the sticks just incase and leave the curtains near the tank open as well as putting the light on a timer!

Its mostly (about 20 in total) different tetras, 3 dwarf gouramis, 2 chilids (they are a small variety that are placid) a catfish and the gibbiceps and 2 leopard danios in the tank

I did the water change and changed the 1st stage of the filter today so they should be ok until we get back and the person looking after them just needs to feed them so not much hassle for them either!