PDA

View Full Version : a pole up her skirt...

percy toboggan
27-Aug-08, 19:25
...yes I know many young British women might have been in a similar predicament since the A8 signed up to EU membership but what did you think of Leona Lewis' dress? Bizarre or what...I guess she was trying to remind us of an Olympic flame...London style. Look no further than Brixton c.2011

And all those umbrellas !! ...aside from deflecting the copious dollops of sweat oozing from the brow of Jimmy Page the superannuated LedZep pensioner guitarist trying too hard to look like he was enjoyin 'imself I think they were largely redundant.

Seriously people...what did you think of the handover?

So many of the points I wished to make have been hi-jacked by my favourite journalists. The big unfolding red bus that resembled the exploded double decker which tragically came to grief in Tavistock Square taking fifteen Londoners with it. Unintentional but eerily reminiscent I reckon.

Beckham..such a shame he wasn't born south of the river...Peckham Beckham has a better ring to it...the very anti-thesis of what the Olympics are supposed to be about. He'll pose semi-naked with his sub-navel paunch on show for the highest bidder...all air-brushed and enhanced....a man whose star is fast fading with a
talent past its sell by date. Okay, so he's a Londoner, so was Albert Steptoe but I didn't see his face on the promo vid.

The rampant over inclusiveness that sees a sweet little girl of Indian descent (I think) chosen to represent Britain by a poll of Blue Peter viewers. Like the Mail's Des Kelly I hope they weren't the same ones that named the studio cat.

If the games are just for London then fair enough...it's a micro-cosm of the world now....so let the micro-cosmics pay for it all...it seems to have little to do with the bit of the UK I live in, much less your bit, I'd have thought.

BoJo - you've inherited a mish-mash if this hand over was owt to go by - I hope you can sort it out...early signs are not all bad.

Welcomefamily
27-Aug-08, 19:32
Beckham is possibly the best known Brit in China it appears.

percy toboggan
27-Aug-08, 19:37
Beckham is possibly the best known Brit in China it appears.

Then we have much work to do.
An inarticulate lummox must not be Britain's prime Ambassador to such an important and powerful nation.

It's akin to installing Rab C Nesbit in the Scottish Embassy in Peking.(mind you, Rab could blather a bit)

Anne x
27-Aug-08, 19:38
Leona's dress was designed by the students at Design College Uk
Umbrellas a big part of GB Culture
Page amazing
Beckham big in China and helped to bring the games to GB
Bus was showing Green GB with the privet Hedge
Zebra crossing GB
Hoy on a bike dressed in a suit David Cameron cycling to work maybe ;)

Welcomefamily
27-Aug-08, 19:39
Yes the pair of them seemed a little out of place

Welcomefamily
27-Aug-08, 19:40
It might have been better to have a bus full of kids singing.

percy toboggan
27-Aug-08, 19:41
Leona's dress was designed by the students at Design College Uk

Really? I could have done better and I'm a lorry driver.

Rheghead
27-Aug-08, 19:45
I thought the GB part of the closing ceremony was ok though I'm not a great fan of new-age dance routines. The thing is, everything on the GB side had to be imported in and mobile, so it wasn't gonna be as spectacular in comparison to the Chinese. And anyway, it did have a touch of an old Ealing comedy about it which I liked, typically British.:)

percy toboggan
27-Aug-08, 20:01
And anyway, it did have a touch of an old Ealing comedy about it which I liked, typically British.:)

Perhaps it might have looked better in black and white.
You might be on to something.

Welcomefamily
27-Aug-08, 20:03
Could have do with a few chimney sweeps just like Mary poppins

Bad Manners
27-Aug-08, 20:31
But would all the kids have to be good looking?

joxville
27-Aug-08, 20:46

Thank the Lord there wasn't. Am I the only one who cannot abide the sound of kids singing? Awful, truly awful. I have a good ear for music, in fact I have two good ears, but when I hear a group of kids singing I feel like doing a Van Gogh to both ears.

Anne x
27-Aug-08, 22:12
Really? I could have done better and I'm a lorry driver.

I didnt say I agreed with it thought it was ott actually but filling in the details

Welcomefamily
28-Aug-08, 08:04
No ju7st an average couple of classroom load but they would be singing hopefully a little out of tune as well because to live in Britain you dont have to be perfect. It would have been nice to have seen them in outfits that represent some of the stage of british development and culture.
Punk, Rock, Teds, etc

But would all the kids have to be good looking?

Welcomefamily
28-Aug-08, 08:10
I have no ear for music, I generally cannot abide it but I still think it would have been better, I was not looking for perfection but accepting different.

Thank the Lord there wasn't. Am I the only one who cannot abide the sound of kids singing? Awful, truly awful. I have a good ear for music, in fact I have two good ears, but when I hear a group of kids singing I feel like doing a Van Gogh to both ears.

Ricco
28-Aug-08, 13:10
I thought it was awful. What on earth must the global public think? It was cheap, tacky, baised (were any Scots, Welsh, Irish people represented?) Such a disappointment when compared with all previous hand-overs.

Bad Manners
28-Aug-08, 13:42
I thought it was awful. What on earth must the global public think? It was cheap, tacky, baised (were any Scots, Welsh, Irish people represented?) Such a disappointment when compared with all previous hand-overs.
I think you are correct and if this is a sign of things to come god help us

AfternoonDelight
28-Aug-08, 13:54
I'm off to put a pole up my skirt.

joxville
28-Aug-08, 20:50
I'm off to put a pole up my skirt.

Do we know his name? [lol]