PDA

View Full Version : Gaelic TV channel - panel wanted...!

weeboyagee
27-Aug-08, 16:28
I remember a thread being on here about the new Gaelic TV channel and the various comments made. I am not meaning to re-ignite the debate but I am looking for people in the local area who would be prepared to be part of a panel that will be charged with reviewing the channel and it's content when it comes on air in the next couple of weeks.

You can be any level of fluency but you need to commit to watching the programmes and give your views on their content etc from time to time. I am also looking for one or two who do not have Cable or Satellite and would be willing to be part of the panel reviewing the content of the BBC and STV broadcasts in Gaelic.

One or two of you may not be Gaelic speakers and may be willing to be part of the panel - I would like to hear from you guys too.

This is a national panel - not a locally based one - and I need folks to represent this area. Anyone interested please PM me. I need to know within the next few of days. If anyone knows of anyone that would be interested but is not normally involved with the .org - can you let them know and get in touch with me on their behalf?

Any other comments would be welcome as part of this thread - and I am totally neutral in this one for a change! :D

Many thanks

WBG :cool:

Alice in Blunderland
28-Aug-08, 20:29
I remember a thread being on here about the new Gaelic TV channel and the various comments made. I am not meaning to re-ignite the debate but I am looking for people in the local area who would be prepared to be part of a panel that will be charged with reviewing the channel and it's content when it comes on air in the next couple of weeks.

You can be any level of fluency but you need to commit to watching the programmes and give your views on their content etc from time to time. I am also looking for one or two who do not have Cable or Satellite and would be willing to be part of the panel reviewing the content of the BBC and STV broadcasts in Gaelic.

One or two of you may not be Gaelic speakers and may be willing to be part of the panel - I would like to hear from you guys too.

This is a national panel - not a locally based one - and I need folks to represent this area. Anyone interested please PM me. I need to know within the next few of days. If anyone knows of anyone that would be interested but is not normally involved with the .org - can you let them know and get in touch with me on their behalf?

Any other comments would be welcome as part of this thread - and I am totally neutral in this one for a change!
Many thanks

WBG

OMG you are having a larf here ......I see loads of people have signed up...........now if it was a panel to debate the sign posts we would be on page two or three by now. :lol: :lol:

Moira
28-Aug-08, 21:47
WBG I would volunteer in a flash if I had the first clue as to what was being said. While flicking channels, I once watched a cartoon being broadcast in Gaelic. I recognised two words - "Postman Pat" (or did I read them at the bottom of the screen??)

As one who knows the road between the Tore roundabout and Dingwall well and yet took the wrong turn-off after trying to decipher the roadsigns, I doubt my input would be appreciated. How do you say Ding, Dang & Blast in Gaelic? :lol:

Alice, it's not like you to "have a larf" at WBG. ;) Maybe his PM box is full to bursting by now - there are a few Gaelic speakers/supporters on this forum. If all else fails, you and I could exchange stories of our siblings to keep WBG's thread near the top of the forum. We could use a few Gaelic words now and then just to keep the thread on-topic. What do you think? :D

Alice in Blunderland
28-Aug-08, 22:23
Oh Moira Im always having a larf at Weeboyagees expense that was one of the main reassons I joined the org. ;) He loves it truly and now Im in my own house he cant even kick me out.

I can tell you the story of my two youngest the other day who were watching Gaelic cartoons before school. The older one turns to the younger one and asks in a moody voice

"Why are you watching this you dont know the words do you?"

To this my youngest replied....

"Shutup Im trying to learn the Irish" ... over to you Weeboyagee. From the mouth of babes sometimes a truer word never said. :lol:

Is that keeping on topic Moira its got something to do with Tv and Gaelic.

To those who dont know the language its all Irish, French or even Greek.

Moira
28-Aug-08, 22:40
That will do for now Alice - brilliant!

I was thinking more about you dishing the dirt on WBG. He must have done something truly awful to you in your early years - my older siblings did.

Ṃran taing

Alice in Blunderland
28-Aug-08, 22:45
Ohh Moira
Im probably in soooo much trouble now from him....

but if he says anything I can garauntee you I can keep this thread at the top for a long time I might even post the picture of him when he appeared on the programme We the jury ....lovely head of wavy hair. :eek:

The Pepsi Challenge
29-Aug-08, 20:52
I think the Gaelic channel is a great idea, helping expose our Scottish language and culture. I hope it takes off; the only problem (at the moment) is that it's only available to those with satellite. The sooner is becomes available on cable the better.

wifie
29-Aug-08, 23:29
Och weeboyagee I would love to help as I am not a gaelic speaker and don't have cable or satellite and I quite enjoy the content of the progs already available but sadly I no longer live in Caithness! :(

golach
28-Sep-08, 15:02
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euwm33GVkcY

Have just seen this video on you tube, if the start of BBC Alba advert is anything to go by, what a great advert for Scotland, the scenery was breath taking, I almost wish I could understand Gaelic, the theme tune is a Runrig anthem Alba = Scotland

Alice in Blunderland
28-Sep-08, 15:19
Pure dead brilliant. Whether you understand the language or not that was truly breathtaking scenery and an excellent song. :D

ps. I never saw any sign posts in the background either...........:lol:

Mr P Cannop
28-Sep-08, 17:08
can weeboyagee clean out his pm box ??

wifie
28-Sep-08, 21:14
Fabulous ad - thanks for link gol! Love Alba - song and country! :D

Moira
28-Sep-08, 23:00
Great link Golach. I watched some of the other clips too. :)

Alice, you are bad for mentioning the "SP" words. ;)
Mind and tell Weeboyagee to clear out his PM box. I take it he is off on his travels again?

weeboyagee
30-Sep-08, 23:52
Many apologies - the pm box is cleared out - I have been away for quite a few days and didn't realise that the thread had created a bit of belated interest - please get in contact with me on here or by pm with your comments!

Cheers

golach
30-Sep-08, 23:53
Many apologies - the pm box is cleared out - I have been away for quite a few days and didn't realise that the thread had created a bit of belated interest - please get in contact with me on here or by pm with your comments!

Cheers

you been negating a pay deal for Romanov WBG?

Moira
30-Sep-08, 23:58
You owe your sis a big bunch of flowers :)

Alice in Blunderland
01-Oct-08, 07:25

I agree with that one Moira and chocolate and wine and more, more, more, :lol:

Alice in Blunderland
01-Oct-08, 07:29
you been negating a pay deal for Romanov WBG?

Nah Golach hes been off West doing a bit of off road driving :eek:

Not intentionally. He says the road was slippy and he wasnt the only car to exit the road unexpectedly :roll: did I mention in a former life I was the Queen of sheba. :lol:

Alice in Blunderland
01-Oct-08, 17:05

Heeellllooooo Weeboyaee I waited all day and alas no flower delivery.....:cool:

Moira he canna take a hint youll have to give him another one.

Or maybe hes been busy watching the Gaelic TV [lol]

The Pepsi Challenge
01-Oct-08, 17:38
By not having the channel widely available - the launch was great by the way - it might well deaden the impact BBC Alba should have. And while it is, perhaps, a good thing that Alba and STV are showing Gaelic programmes at exactly the same time, it will split what little audience there actually is for it.