PDA

View Full Version : Wild

johnlc
27-Aug-08, 08:55
ok so it was a strike last wednesday which was our bin day,so obviously we never got it picked up that day,so as u can imagine with 4 in a house i had 4 extra bags today plus a few cardboard boxes as these came from my sons presents as it is his 2nd bday today,so anyway stuck out my bin and the extra bags thinking that they'd get picked up coz afterall its not our fault there was a strike,after lorry left went outside and noticed they didn't pick up mine or a few of my neighbours rubbish.This has made me so wild,why should we suffer because of the council.
Rant over

wifie
27-Aug-08, 09:27
Don't wish to be horrible but is this not the whole point of the strike - disruption?
As for the bin requirements of a family of four - I do not know your personal circumstances with regards to rubbish or recycling but have to say this is not the first time I have seen a rant like this on here. I find it a tad disturbing that our household is four strong and we do not generate enough rubbish to half fill our bin on a weekly basis. We store recycling in the shed and take it to the recycling centre when convenient.
Now I am not getting at you johnlc but it does highlight the problem of over-packaging and the lack of recycling facilities available. I really think that councils have to start getting their act together as regards these facilities cos we are gonna run out of landfill space unless we all wish to live in a tip!

EDDIE
27-Aug-08, 09:43
ok so it was a strike last wednesday which was our bin day,so obviously we never got it picked up that day,so as u can imagine with 4 in a house i had 4 extra bags today plus a few cardboard boxes as these came from my sons presents as it is his 2nd bday today,so anyway stuck out my bin and the extra bags thinking that they'd get picked up coz afterall its not our fault there was a strike,after lorry left went outside and noticed they didn't pick up mine or a few of my neighbours rubbish.This has made me so wild,why should we suffer because of the council.
Rant over

They probably never picked up the bags because thats there policy just to pick up from the wheelie bins only i wouldnt even think about questioning or working out how the council workers operate there a way in a world of there own.Me personally i think you should have left the rubbish bags outside for them to burst and let it make a mess and it will generate more mess for the council workers to clear up and that will teach them

Anne x
27-Aug-08, 09:46
We didnt realise how lucky we were living in Caithness 1 Blue Bin 1 Brown Bin and small Blue bin for every household since moving we have 1 Bin for houshold waste and small blue one our refuse is picked up every 2 weeks this is from one of the highest community charge councils in Scot and we find it adequate now as we recycle everything I believe that in some parts of the county you have to buy your own Bin we felt lucky to have a bin at the door when we arrived

raymac
27-Aug-08, 10:03
Me personally i think you should have left the rubbish bags outside for them to burst and let it make a mess and it will generate more mess for the council workers to clear up and that will teach them

Mr responsible.[disgust] or what.

highlander
27-Aug-08, 10:14
I remember when i was a bairn the dustman coming to the back garden to collect your bin, empty it and return it, then when that was stopped we got that stupid wire bins that you put a black bag and pushed the front of it to close it, many did not bother and would have things ripped out of it by cats and dogs, living it the county we dont get the bin lorry coming up, we have to put it on the back of the tractor and take it to the bottom of the road, approx distance 400 yards. I think today more should be done about the extra packaging that supermarkets use to stop all this waste, also we are too much of a throw away society and waste too much.

Buttercup
27-Aug-08, 12:12
Don't wish to be horrible but is this not the whole point of the strike - disruption?
As for the bin requirements of a family of four - I do not know your personal circumstances with regards to rubbish or recycling but have to say this is not the first time I have seen a rant like this on here. I find it a tad disturbing that our household is four strong and we do not generate enough rubbish to half fill our bin on a weekly basis. We store recycling in the shed and take it to the recycling centre when convenient.
Now I am not getting at you johnlc but it does highlight the problem of over-packaging and the lack of recycling facilities available. I really think that councils have to start getting their act together as regards these facilities cos we are gonna run out of landfill space unless we all wish to live in a tip!
Good on you wifie, but if you don't have transport you have no option but to put your recyclables to landfill! :roll:

balto
27-Aug-08, 12:23
that strike last weeek, was a pain in the rear end, for people like myself that have their rubbish collected on a wednesday, also with 5 of us in the house we are still left with about 4 extra bags of rubbish, it is ok for them to say to take your extra rubbish to the landfill yourself, which is ok if you have a car , mind you even then, what car owner wants rubbish stinking their car. B ut what i want to know is why do we bother paying council tax, if we cant even get our bins emptied, after all their problem is with the council, not the customers so why should we suffer, just hope the next time they decide to strike they pick another day except a wednesday.

ocd
27-Aug-08, 13:51
They probably never picked up the bags because thats there policy just to pick up from the wheelie bins only i wouldnt even think about questioning or working out how the council workers operate there a way in a world of there own.Me personally i think you should have left the rubbish bags outside for them to burst and let it make a mess and it will generate more mess for the council workers to clear up and that will teach them

With that attitude god help us all!!!!!

Wonder if you would do their job for the money they are being paid without being offered a pathetic wage rise. [disgust]

karia
27-Aug-08, 14:28
Wonder if you would do their job for the money they are being paid without being offered a pathetic wage rise. [disgust]

Well said ocd!

Billy Boy
27-Aug-08, 14:32
Me personally i think you should have left the rubbish bags outside for them to burst and let it make a mess and it will generate more mess for the council workers to clear up and that will teach them

Me personally, hope that the dustmen where you live go on strike and YOU leave your extra rubbish out and it burst's and blows back into your garden and YOU have to pick it up, It would be nothing more than you deserve with your attitude [disgust]

wifie
27-Aug-08, 14:48
Good on you wifie, but if you don't have transport you have no option but to put your recyclables to landfill! :roll:

Aye Buttercup I can appreciate that. It is something that should be addressed by councils - it is the usual story of people jumping on the current band wagon but all the small details are never taken into account. We had a local recycling centre in our village but it was moved to a site about a mile out of the village - fine if you are fit and able and fancy a wee walk out wi yer tins and jars but larger packaging or paper would be a nightmare. I would happily take stuff for someone who couldn't manage - perhaps get together wi a neighbour who recycles? We should lobby our council to make more of an effort as they really will have to soon!

grandma
27-Aug-08, 14:59
We didnt realise how lucky we were living in Caithness 1 Blue Bin 1 Brown Bin and small Blue bin for every household since moving we have 1 Bin for houshold waste and small blue one our refuse is picked up every 2 weeks this is from one of the highest community charge councils in Scot and we find it adequate now as we recycle everything I believe that in some parts of the county you have to buy your own Bin we felt lucky to have a bin at the door when we arrived
It's only in Wick and Thurso that you get the different bins. We still have only one bin, which has to be wheeled out to the road (approx 1/4 mile). I have 're-cycled' some of the old style bins which we use to store any glass, metals and papers which are then hooched into the boot of the car and taken to village re-cycling point. Couldn't do it if we didn't have car.

Angela
27-Aug-08, 15:04
Our council provides no recycling facilities in this part of Edinburgh where most people live in flats.

We have (rather ugly) black skip type bins along our street which are upturned and the contents removed by a council lorry. Not quite often enough, so when the bins overflow we end up with black bags and assorted rubbish out on the street. The bins were meant to replace black bags to avoid the mess when bags split or are ripped open by birds, foxes, dogs or indeed people.

Most folk round here don't have cars -nowhere to park them, for a start -and there's no proper recycling depot anywhere within walking distance. Ironically, each of these giant bins take up the space you'd need to park a car!

I really hate having to put all my rubbish out for landfill. I've written to the council and signed petitions, all to no avail and I know I'm not alone in thinking this way. I simply don't understand why they can't, or won't, provide us with the smaller recycling bins that folk have in other areas of the city so that we could all do our bit and stop these wretched bins endlessly overflowing.:confused

trix
27-Aug-08, 15:06
maybe we should get a percentage of our monthly council tax bill til make up for any inconvenience that council workers caused while they were on strike?

2little2late
27-Aug-08, 16:11
Bin men don't know what hard graft is nowadays. Bring back the metal bucket and let them lift it from your back door, empty it into the bin wagon and then carry it back. Oh, they are so pampered today. We have to take the wheelie bin out for them, place it on the kerbside and wheel it back for them. All they have to do is wheel it off the kerb, place it on the lifting gear and press a button and the job is done for them.

No wonder they have time to put Oil of Olay into their skin.

Billy Boy
27-Aug-08, 18:12
Bin men don't know what hard graft is nowadays. Bring back the metal bucket and let them lift it from your back door, empty it into the bin wagon and then carry it back. Oh, they are so pampered today. We have to take the wheelie bin out for them, place it on the kerbside and wheel it back for them. All they have to do is wheel it off the kerb, place it on the lifting gear and press a button and the job is done for them.

Do you know what hard work is? Why shouldnt you take your own bin out is your bloody rubbish, Jeez the ignorance of some people is beyond me, Next you will be wanting the binmen to come in and empty your household rubbish into the wheelie bin for you and replace the bag.

They boys have to work out in all sorts of weather, Fair enough it is easier than before in some ways but there's a hell of a lot more rubbish nowadays, As if putting up with crap wages isnt enough, they have to put up with crap attitudes like yours [disgust]

And i have yet to see a binman that uses oil of olay, they prefer skin so soft :Razz

Billy Boy
27-Aug-08, 18:29
that strike last weeek, was a pain in the rear end, for people like myself that have their rubbish collected on a wednesday, also with 5 of us in the house we are still left with about 4 extra bags of rubbish, it is ok for them to say to take your extra rubbish to the landfill yourself, which is ok if you have a car , mind you even then, what car owner wants rubbish stinking their car. B ut what i want to know is why do we bother paying council tax, if we cant even get our bins emptied, after all their problem is with the council, not the customers so why should we suffer, just hope the next time they decide to strike they pick another day except a wednesday.

Yes your right the problem is with the council, Not their customers and NOT with their workers either as some folk seem to think, I dont know of anyone who would be happy to effectively take a pay cut when they are already living on a crap wage, they have responsabilities to you know.

I also heard today that their next strike will be on the same days for 2 to 3 weeks running, lets hope its not a wednesday eh! As long as its someone else who suffers thats all that matters.[disgust]

EDDIE
27-Aug-08, 18:34
With that attitude god help us all!!!!!

If i wasnt happy with the wages i was on i would look for another job its that simple instead of taking a union attitutude and trying to dictate to an employer what pay conditions they want. And what i would say to any worker that works with the council if your not happy with your wage and working conditions then leave and go and try finding a job were u can get the wage you want instead of moaning about your work conditions and im quite sure there is other people willing to do there jobs.
And OCD are you willing to pay a higher amount of council tax every time the council workers demand a wage rise because im not

EDDIE
27-Aug-08, 18:41
Me personally, hope that the dustmen where you live go on strike and YOU leave your extra rubbish out and it burst's and blows back into your garden and YOU have to pick it up, It would be nothing more than you deserve with your attitude [disgust]
I live in a flat so i dont have that problem and yes my attitude does stink

Billy Boy
27-Aug-08, 19:12
yes my attitude does stink

I know it shows in your posts lol :Razz

Alice in Blunderland
27-Aug-08, 19:21
Yes its an inconvenience when its your day that the binmen strike on..... but its got to be someones day.

I am in support of the binmen and have always thought they do a great job. They are out rain, hail or shine lifting our garbage and if it werent for them what a sorry mess we would be in. They are using their right to strike in order to get a better deal. Yes it means that we shall for a time have to think about what we throw but this isnt all bad is it. I for one know I could recycle much more but cant be bothered ;) and thats the truth.

The binmen are not allowed to lift black bags at all they have been told by their superiors and if you were risking a warning or reprimmand at work would you go against what you have been told. :)

Anne x
27-Aug-08, 19:24
It's only in Wick and Thurso that you get the different bins. We still have only one bin, which has to be wheeled out to the road (approx 1/4 mile). I have 're-cycled' some of the old style bins which we use to store any glass, metals and papers which are then hooched into the boot of the car and taken to village re-cycling point. Couldn't do it if we didn't have car.

Sorry I did not realise that I was talking from a town point of view
good luck

silverfox57
27-Aug-08, 19:25
wait till it comes near xmas time. dustmen if the know the good households that gave a bottle, or six pack of beer,you will get extra bags uplifted no bother,

Alice in Blunderland
27-Aug-08, 19:48
wait till it comes near xmas time. dustmen if the know the good households that gave a bottle, or six pack of beer,you will get extra bags uplifted no bother,

I always give something to the binmen not only at christmas and new year but on other accasions when I feel like it.When we moved into our new housewe didnt get our wheely bin at first and the binmen lifted all our black bags.

After we got our wheely bin they still took a couple of bags from us until one week they left me a polite note stating as of a certain date council policy said no black bags ...........council policy not the binmens.

I dont hold it against them in fact thanked them for letting me know so that I could be prepared the following week.

They will still be getting their box of sweets and tins of beer this year :)

router
27-Aug-08, 19:58
we were told by council that as long as rubbish was bagged up and just household stuff you could put out up to ten bags with the wheelie bin and they would still lift it,i have put out bags in the past and they still have been lifted with no probs..

loobyloo
27-Aug-08, 20:21
Yes its an inconvenience when its your day that the binmen strike on..... but its got to be someones day.

I am in support of the binmen and have always thought they do a great job. They are out rain, hail or shine lifting our garbage and if it werent for them what a sorry mess we would be in. They are using their right to strike in order to get a better deal. Yes it means that we shall for a time have to think about what we throw but this isnt all bad is it. I for one know I could recycle much more but cant be bothered ;) and thats the truth.

The binmen are not allowed to lift black bags at all they have been told by their superiors and if you were risking a warning or reprimmand at work would you go against what you have been told. :)

I agree; I totally support the binmen too. I also support all the other low paid workers who went out on strike. I think it's disgusting that some of the most vulnerable people in our society are looked after by people who are completely undervalued. In my experience, they really care about those they look after and it must be extremely insulting to be offered a pathetic rise, year after year. So many folk rely on these care workers. Let's pay those who provide public services a decent, living wage.

Alice in Blunderland
27-Aug-08, 21:01
we were told by council that as long as rubbish was bagged up and just household stuff you could put out up to ten bags with the wheelie bin and they would still lift it,i have put out bags in the past and they still have been lifted with no probs..

So have I, many times put out bags but the policy on black bags changed recently. This is why the binmen are no longer taking them its a carpeting offence if they are caught and thats from their own mouths. :)

2little2late
28-Aug-08, 21:02
Do you know what hard work is?

They boys have to work out in all sorts of weather, Fair enough it is easier than before in some ways but there's a hell of a lot more rubbish nowadays, As if putting up with crap wages isn't enough, they have to put up with crap attitudes like yours [disgust]

And i have yet to see a bin man that uses oil of olay, they prefer skin so soft :Razz

What's hard about pulling a wheelie bin of a pavement and putting it back?
Bin men aren't the only ones who work out in all weather either. If their wages are crap why don't they look for other jobs then?
Me thinks billyboy is a scaffie
BTW Billyboy. We are all entitled to an opinion and this is my opinion.

joxville
28-Aug-08, 21:15
I don't know what they get paid so don't know whether it's crap or not, maybe the higher unemployment levels force the binmen to take low paid jobs, something I've had to do in the past, however part of the trouble with modern life is too many of us trying to live beyond our means.

We all want the cars, the holidays, the latest television etc. but to be able to afford them we need a decent wage. I wouldn't knock anyone for going out on strike for more money-they are the ones doing the job, only they can decide whether they are being taken for a mug.

Billy Boy
28-Aug-08, 21:25
What's hard about pulling a wheelie bin of a pavement and putting it back?
Bin men aren't the only ones who work out in all weather either. If their wages are crap why don't they look for other jobs then?
Me thinks billyboy is a scaffie
BTW Billyboy. We are all entitled to an opinion and this is my opinion.

Did i say they were the only ones who work out in all weather NO, and as for saying they should be looking for another job if their wages are crap its a crap job crap pay but someone has to do it and if its not them it will be others who will be in the exact same situation or have you not worked that out for yourself yet.
Maybe they should pack their jobs in and head to tesco for delivery jobs or even driving taxi's i here the money is so good doing they jobs.

I stand by them striking along with all other council workers, who cares about a few extra bags or even your bin not getting lifted its people's livelyhoods that are on the line here, I know i for one couldnt care less if my bin wasnt lifted i'm not that petty.

2little2late
28-Aug-08, 21:32
Maybe they should pack their jobs in and head to tesco for delivery jobs or even driving taxi's i here the money is so good doing they jobs.

Mmmm, now there's a thought.

northener
28-Aug-08, 21:57
If i wasnt happy with the wages i was on i would look for another job its that simple instead of taking a union attitutude and trying to dictate to an employer what pay conditions they want. And what i would say to any worker that works with the council if your not happy with your wage and working conditions then leave and go and try finding a job were u can get the wage you want instead of moaning about your work conditions and im quite sure there is other people willing to do there jobs.............

Yeah, right on 'EDDIE'.

There's shedloads of unskilled work opportunities in Wick, as you obviously know.

Alice in Blunderland
28-Aug-08, 22:16
The binmen are only asking for a fair pay rise. :)

They are asking for a like for like pay rise as all other sectors seem to be entitled to it. They are are asking for decent pay for a decent job which at least covers the rise in inflation so that they can keep in line with everything else.

I feel they are more deserved of a decent pay rise than some of the polititians whom we have seen lately giving themselves and their over inflated egos large pay rises. I would like to see some of them lift my bins on a cold wet day. :eek:

Billy Boy
28-Aug-08, 22:24
you've hit the nail on the head Alice lol, All they want is a wage that is in line with the inflation so that they can afford to live within their means, which some folk on here seem to think they can do with accepting the so called payrise that was offered which is in effect a paycut, but its so easy to sit and blow your mouth off saying "oh i would just get another job if the pay is so bad" what they cant seem to get their head round is that no matter who does the job they arent going to live on a wage that means taking a paycut for the next 3 years regardless of what they say.

Moira
28-Aug-08, 22:29
Bin men don't know what hard graft is nowadays......

Things have moved on and thank goodness for that 2little2late. Our ancestors lived in caves but we don't (or at least I don't). I have the greatest of respect for the binmen and all the other low-paid Council workers fighting for a decent pay deal for a job well done.

This thread is proof enough that the bin-men were missed. The thread which had everyone confused as to when the schools would be open (or not) across the region would seem to reinforce the fact that the Official Strike was successful.

I hope the outcome is successful too (and I hasten to add that I have no vested interest :) )

EDDIE
28-Aug-08, 22:38
Yeah, right on 'EDDIE'.

There's shedloads of unskilled work opportunities in Wick, as you obviously know.

i used to live in caithness not a lot of work there thats why i moved

Alice in Blunderland
28-Aug-08, 22:40

Oh you never know there might be few binmen jobs going soon and some new faces on the tills at Tescos ;) :lol:

flowertot
28-Aug-08, 22:42
I have to ask why is it that this thread seems to be only attacking the binmen for striking.

It was quite alot of the council workers that were actually striking for fairer pay (or should I say a pay rise that reflects inflation).

I don't see anyone complaining about the fact that the library, swimming pools, some schools, council offices, etc were closed on the day of the strike.

And the whole aim of a strike is to cause an inconvenience to the service being offered so that the council will take note and pay the correct pay rise.

If public want to complain channel the complaints to the fat cats at the top of the council rather than the lower end of the scale.

Workers within the Council are constantly getting hit with budget cuts and still having to do the same level of standard of the job with less.

Just remember the binmen do an excellent job, but they are constantly being told that they can't lift this, etc. Just be thankful at present you are not being asked to pay for bulky uplifts like other Councils do. And that decisions are not made by the binmen but the chief's at the top.

Billy Boy
28-Aug-08, 22:50
well Flowertot the Binmen are being attacked on here as it would seem that some folk think that their bin not being emptied is far more important that whether they can get a book out the liberary. their kids get an education, they get to go swimming or anything else for that matter.
Plus they have nothing better to do with their time lol

Alice in Blunderland
28-Aug-08, 22:53
well Flowertot the Binmen are being attacked on here as it would seem that some folk think that their bin not being emptied is far more important that whether they can get a book out the liberary. their kids get an education, they get to go swimming or anything else for that matter.
Plus they have nothing better to do with their time lol
Thats certainly put things in perspective. :)

Angela
28-Aug-08, 23:15
I have to ask why is it that this thread seems to be only attacking the binmen for striking.

It was quite alot of the council workers that were actually striking for fairer pay (or should I say a pay rise that reflects inflation).

I don't see anyone complaining about the fact that the library, swimming pools, some schools, council offices, etc were closed on the day of the strike.

And the whole aim of a strike is to cause an inconvenience to the service being offered so that the council will take note and pay the correct pay rise.

If public want to complain channel the complaints to the fat cats at the top of the council rather than the lower end of the scale.

Workers within the Council are constantly getting hit with budget cuts and still having to do the same level of standard of the job with less.

Just remember the binmen do an excellent job, but they are constantly being told that they can't lift this, etc. Just be thankful at present you are not being asked to pay for bulky uplifts like other Councils do. And that decisions are not made by the binmen but the chief's at the top.

I quite agree, flowertot. I'll admit I got sidetracked onto the lack of recycling facilities here because it's our council that is completely failing to respond to our needs -it's not our bin men's fault that our giant communal bins are full to overflowing and rubbish bags lying around the street within hours of them emptying the bins. Since we haven't anywhere to recycle, everything ends up in the bins and they're hopelessly inadequate.

On the day of the strike, my daughter really missed the swimming pool while I missed the library. We're very fortunate to have a newly refurbished library here, but sadly this has resulted in staff cutbacks. We now have supermarket style self service to check in and out the books. This has given the council the excuse to have far fewer library staff than before -so they no longer have time to chat to folk about their choice of books or anything else. Their jobs have changed, and not for the better.:(

I find most council employees do an excellent job but are really struggling to provide the services we need. Morale seems low and a pay rise that's really a pay cut is going to make matters worse.

I hope they get a better deal, though I'm not too sure where the money will come from.

2little2late
28-Aug-08, 23:32
I hope they get a better deal, though I'm not too sure where the money will come from.
When the council tax is unfrozen and we see a massive hike in council tax. That's where from!
BEWARE

Alice in Blunderland
29-Aug-08, 07:51
When the council tax is unfrozen and we see a massive hike in council tax. That's where from!
BEWARE

Okay so we dont want to see our council tax go up. What is the answer?

Is it a case that if you work for Highland council then dont ask for a decent pay rise as it will put up our council tax :) .......which I am sure the binmen and council employees also pay .This is one of the factors they want a pay rise to keep up with rent rises tax rises all the various rises.

I pay slightly less than thousand pound in council tax per year which multplied by many people in the highland council is probably nowhere near the amount of money needed to keep all these services going.

Whether the council workers get their pay rise or not if the council tax system doesnt change we will all be paying a lot more as soon as its unfrozen. :(

northener
29-Aug-08, 08:07

It's quite simple, Flowertot.

Some people will complain (usually very loudly) only when the problem affects them directly.
Any other time they couldn't care less what happens or who gets paid what - as long as they can personally breeze through life unhindered.

I'd say that the binmen do a thankless task (the evidence for that statement is proved by the attitude of a couple of people on here) and that they should be getting our support - not getting lambasted over whether they should move a bin or pick up a bag.

I'd like to see some of their critics do a week on the scaffie cart.........

northener
29-Aug-08, 08:17

Bearing in mind your previous post suggesting that anyone not happy with their lot as a binman should get a better paid job:

I don't know whether to laugh my head off or feel sorry for you.

I don't think you've thought that one through, Eddie.
Do you either expect every low-paid worker in Caithness to up sticks and move to somewhere like Aberdeen - or revoke their right to push for a reasonable wage if they stay in Wick/Thurso?

Angela
29-Aug-08, 09:18
Some people will complain (usually very loudly) only when the problem affects them directly.
Any other time they couldn't care less what happens or who gets paid what - as long as they can personally breeze through life unhindered.

That's the whole point of a strike though, isn't it, northerner? To bring home to us individually how much we would miss a service if it wasn't there? I do support the council workers but I don't normally spend too much time thinking about what their pay is.

I believe we need both a reform of the tax system so that lower paid workers can keep more of their modest pay, and a reform of the council tax system.

I'll freely admit that I am thinking of myself when I say I think it's unfair that a single person gets only a 25% discount compared to a couple or family and that council tax does not take into account a person's ability to pay. I do believe we should have a form of local income tax.

router
29-Aug-08, 09:56
So have I, many times put out bags but the policy on black bags changed recently. This is why the binmen are no longer taking them its a carpeting offence if they are caught and thats from their own mouths. :)

i didn't know this.
i'm with the binmen too the ones that come round here are hardworking bunch of guys who come onto to the street and get on with it,polite as well.
my sister and her oh used to complain about the fact the binmen wouldn't come in to their farm to lift their bins and had to take them to the roadend,a whole 30yds away!.not as if they weren't fit enough either,they were just so up themselves in the thought that they were somehow due this type of service
i worked for the roads dept for some years and some of the abuse we got from members of the public was just plain out of order because what,we interfered with their day, aww!
yes the council is at fault for not paying their staff what they are due,no doubt they have the cash but they will probably want that for some project or other

TBH
29-Aug-08, 10:01
BEWARESo where does your wage rise come from if not at the expence of the general public? That was a rhetorical question.

Billy Boy
29-Aug-08, 10:06
What i find really amusing about this thread is that all those who are on here complaining about the binmen, wouldnt give them a second throught if it wasnt for the fact that it was their bins that werent getting lifted, just goes to prove that its a case of " as long as it is happening to someone else" All it does is shows them up for being the selfish folk that they are.:roll:

TBH
29-Aug-08, 10:15
And those that are complaining would quite happily forego a wage rise if it meant no disruption to the general public? Is that a flying pig I see?[lol]

Billy Boy
29-Aug-08, 10:33
And those that are complaining would quite happily forego a wage rise if it meant no disruption to the general public? Is that a flying pig I see?[lol]

Of course they would, Money isnt important to them getting their bin emptied is ;)

EDDIE
30-Aug-08, 14:28
Bearing in mind your previous post suggesting that anyone not happy with their lot as a binman should get a better paid job:

I don't know whether to laugh my head off or feel sorry for you.

I don't think you've thought that one through, Eddie.
Do you either expect every low-paid worker in Caithness to up sticks and move to somewhere like Aberdeen - or revoke their right to push for a reasonable wage if they stay in Wick/Thurso?

I have thought about it if you are on a low wage you do have choices its not the end of the world the only way you can change that is to re train yourself or look for another job that pays more and yes maybey even change location and thats just the way of the world is im afraid if your quite happy living in an area were there is not a lot of work and the pay is not so good thats up to the individual how they want to live.
I dont support the union attitude were the union worker thinks that society owes them a decent wage for working and if someone upsets the union worker he will strike thats silly very old and silly way to work i bet that same union worker wouldnt last 10 mins in a family business or in the private sector
And as for the binmen when the applied for there job they new the wage scale they had the choice then to accept the job or not if there not happy with the job then they should resign and let someone else do it that would be happy with the wages

EDDIE
30-Aug-08, 14:32
What i find really amusing about this thread is that all those who are on here complaining about the binmen, wouldnt give them a second throught if it wasnt for the fact that it was their bins that werent getting lifted, just goes to prove that its a case of " as long as it is happening to someone else" All it does is shows them up for being the selfish folk that they are.:roll:

If u pay your council tax your entitled to a service you have payed for and if the binmen strike and u dont get your bins emptyed that week your are not getting a service for what you have payed for so we as council tax payers have the right to moan about it.

Billy Boy
30-Aug-08, 15:16
If u pay your council tax your entitled to a service you have payed for and if the binmen strike and u dont get your bins emptyed that week your are not getting a service for what you have payed for so we as council tax payers have the right to moan about it.

Some folk just like to moan about everything, They arent striking for fun they have a bloody good reason to do so, as for paying council tax it not only goes towards the binmen its all public services some of which are also on strike but i dont hear you moaning about them, Exactly how much of your council tax do you think goes towards your refuse collection? why not work it out then phone the council and demand it back, Something i very much doubt that you will do cos its easier to come on here are moan like a whinny little kid.[disgust]

Billy Boy
30-Aug-08, 15:21
And as for the binmen when the applied for there job they new the wage scale they had the choice then to accept the job or not if there not happy with the job then they should resign and let someone else do it that would be happy with the wages

What a load of RUBBISH, When they applied for the job they werent told that they wouldnt be paid along with the rate of inflation, Its all to easy to sit there and say they should up root and move its not always an option for those with families or other responsabilities, would you be happy to do their job for the crap wage they get i dont think so.

Alice in Blunderland
30-Aug-08, 15:40

If the council put up the council tax each year ( except this year as its been frozen ) in line with inflation why should the wages not. :confused

EDDIE
30-Aug-08, 16:52
If the council put up the council tax each year ( except this year as its been frozen ) in line with inflation why should the wages not. :confused

Because you probably find that the money the council makes of the council tax is not enough or very tight to pay for things that they want thats why maggie thatcher tried funding it buy having a poll tax system so everyone contributed to paying tax a fairer way but the means to collect the money wasnt a good idea thats why the idea never took off now alex salmond is wanting to do the same thing but worded differently but has a better means of getting the money taking it straight of your wages.

EDDIE
30-Aug-08, 17:09
What a load of RUBBISH, When they applied for the job they werent told that they wouldnt be paid along with the rate of inflation, Its all to easy to sit there and say they should up root and move its not always an option for those with families or other responsabilities, would you be happy to do their job for the crap wage they get i dont think so.

Billy the only thing i wouldnt be happy about is being unemployed and getting into a rutt.I would do any job to earn a wage even if it was low wage but if i wasnt happy with my wages i would be looking for another job or change of career and if that person cant be bothered to better themselves then tough thats the way the world is.
You are going on about a crap wage how many people in caithness that are unemployed that would love the opportunity to get back into work and work for the council on there low wages given the fact that there is not a lot of work up there thats the question that should be asked to all the complacent council workers that are not happy it could be a lot worse for them they could be on £45 a week or what ever the going rate is for unemployment benifts

Billy Boy
30-Aug-08, 17:29
Maybe they should just pack their jobs in and go on the dole after all those on the dole got 4.5 increase a hell of a lot more than the binmen are being offered, you say there are plenty who would do the job and the wage they are on now......do you know what their wage is now?
if not how can you say others would be prepared to do it, the point that you are missing intentionally or not is that the rate of inflation is a heck of a lot higher than their income so how the hell are they supposed to get by without getting into debt, money aint elastic you know or do you get different money in Aberdeen.

EDDIE
30-Aug-08, 17:53
Maybe they should just pack their jobs in and go on the dole after all those on the dole got 4.5 increase a hell of a lot more than the binmen are being offered, you say there are plenty who would do the job and the wage they are on now......do you know what their wage is now?
if not how can you say others would be prepared to do it, the point that you are missing intentionally or not is that the rate of inflation is a heck of a lot higher than their income so how the hell are they supposed to get by without getting into debt, money aint elastic you know or do you get different money in Aberdeen.

Well if i was unemployed and getting £45 or whatever the rate is then yes it would be worth getting a job as a binmen or council worker in general .The rate of inflation its hitting everyone and there is very few company if any that are putting workers wages up inline with inflation u would be lucky if it was 2%
The only good thing about aberdeen is there is plenty jobs and the average hourly rate for unskilled workers is a lot higher than in caithness and in somecases depending on the company they work for they can get more money than a tradesmen.

Billy Boy
30-Aug-08, 17:58
Why are you aiming this at Caithness? there are binmen all over the country that are striking along with a lot of others from other public services..............so you are saying that they are all in the wrong and that you are right.:confused And more importantly what about the council boss's who are giving themselves huge pay rises? if they werent so damn greedy there would be plenty to go around, I know a good few workers from all public sectors and i am behind them 100% over their strikes as i am sure a good percentage of the orgers are, that would be those who actually think of others aswell as therselves

EDDIE
30-Aug-08, 18:25
Why are you aiming this at Caithness? there are binmen all over the country that are striking along with a lot of others from other public services..............so you are saying that they are all in the wrong and that you are right.:confused And more importantly what about the council boss's who are giving themselves huge pay rises? if they werent so damn greedy there would be plenty to go around, I know a good few workers from all public sectors and i am behind them 100% over their strikes as i am sure a good percentage of the orgers are, that would be those who actually think of others aswell as therselves

Striking doesnt solve anything any business that allows a union to dictate working conditions is poor management thats were a lot of union workers get confused its the bosses that tell the workers what to do not the workers that dictate to boses thats how companys work if you are working somewere and you are not happy with the working conditions then leave nobodys forcing them to work there.
Im begining to think this conversation is starting to go round in circles.

Billy Boy
30-Aug-08, 18:59
If the boss's ran their companies right in the first place there would be no need for unions, the unions are there to make sure that the workers get a fair deal and if that means striking so be it, Its good to know that you yourself would be more than happy to take a pay cut whilst looking for alternative employment....................As far as i am concerned its just something we shall have to agree to disagree on............I am all for the workers getting a fair deal and will back them until their boss's see that they only way to go is to give a decent pay for a decent days work

catran
30-Aug-08, 20:49
Well it puts me wild when I see what they get off the dole. I work hard but some are getting working disability for life and have two jobs. Where is the justice and where on earth did you get £45 for dole money - that is a joke. Sometimes it makes one wonder why one works - only fools it would seem. Invalidity or whatever they call it now seems to be the in thing a disgrace in a lot of cases and those that really need it gets nought. Where are the powers that be that should be stopping this sort of thing? getting a good salary no doubt and the paperwork is over powering.

balto
30-Aug-08, 20:53
we still have excess rubbish to get rid of , as we dont have anyone nice enough to take it to the dump for us, and wht with ll the wasps that are going about at the moment it is a nightmare, they are eveywhere.

Billy Boy
30-Aug-08, 21:03
we still have excess rubbish to get rid of , as we dont have anyone nice enough to take it to the dump for us, and wht with ll the wasps that are going about at the moment it is a nightmare, they are eveywhere.

I am just asking but have you been recycling everything, I know a family of 4 who were in the same situation and through proper recycling their bin wasnt even half full, up until the strike they didnt usually recycle and were pretty amazed at the difference it made.

balto
30-Aug-08, 21:09
I am just asking but have you been recycling everything, I know a family of 4 who were in the same situation and through proper recycling their bin wasnt even half full, up until the strike they didnt usually recycle and were pretty amazed at the difference it made.
aye we recycle what we can, jst hope this doesnthappen agin, it wont be so much of a problem in december as we will get an extr black bin, as our baby is due, so that will make 6 of us in our household.