PDA

View Full Version : Meeting place wanted for support group

Fran
26-Aug-08, 02:16
Caithness cancer support group have been let down and are looking for a place to hold meetings once a week in a small hall with toilet in wick.this is urgent and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Do you know of anywhere , maybe a church hall, where people suffering with cancer could meet each other for a chat and a cup of tea.? If you do please contact me, thankyou.

hotrod4
26-Aug-08, 06:16
Caithness cancer support group have been let down and are looking for a place to hold meetings once a week in a small hall with toilet in wick.this is urgent and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Do you know of anywhere , maybe a church hall, where people suffering with cancer could meet each other for a chat and a cup of tea.? If you do please contact me, thankyou.

Have you tried the community education at the North School? Or maybe contact PPP as they have a building down by Union st, I am sure one of them would help.

AfternoonDelight
26-Aug-08, 12:26
Try Wick Family Centre - they have everything you need. ;)

Fran
28-Aug-08, 03:26
Gret news... i think i have definetly got somewhere in central wick to hold the cancer support Group meetings on Tuesday evenings at 7pm. I will let you know as soon as it is confirmed. transport can be made available to the meetings.i look forward to seeing a lot of people there.
Watch this space for further details. thankyou for your ongoing support.

Fran
08-Oct-08, 03:24
Still looking for premises to hold our meetings..Caithness Cancer Support Group.

Venture
08-Oct-08, 09:25
Still looking for premises to hold our meetings..Caithness Cancer Support Group.

I've just noticed Fran that your original post dates back to August and you still do not have premises. Surely there is somewhere in Wick that could give you a room for your meetings. What about one of the Hotels? I know somewhere in town would be more suitable but if you have transport have you thought about Staxigoe Hall. They have really good facilities. Why don't you get in touch with the local press and get them to put out an appeal for you. Hope you are successful.

Rheghead
08-Oct-08, 11:29
Good luck with finding new premises, I have my fingers crossed for you.

dirdyweeker
08-Oct-08, 11:31
BB Hall in Louisburgh Street, they rent out. Norseman have a small lounge, don't know their charges or policy on paying. Being the Cancer Support Group does the MacMillan staff not have access to anywhere? Area in the Hospital? PPP have their family centre, did you try it?
What sort of place were you looking for? Is it to rent on a regular basis?
Hope you have success.

Fran
08-Oct-08, 13:32
Great news. thank you all for your replies. I did try various places, Poultney Peoples Project wanted £15 an hour for their meeting place in Union Street. As funding has been coming out of my own pocket just now till we get funds, I thought that was too much.
I could have had free use of the lovely tartan room in the Francis Street Club(first meeting held here) but I dont think people would like to go to a pub or club for their meeting. I could have used the hospital free of charge but not many people would like to go there for meetings either.
The good news is that i have had a phone call this morning and now have premises in central Wick, so I am over the moon and hope to have the first meeting there at the end of the month.This will be so good for the existing small group of people suffering with cancer to meet each other in a better place, along with their carers and family.
If you know anyone with cancer or whose life has been affected by cancer, or who has suffered bereavement through cancer, please tell them about this group.
Everyone will be most welcome, there will be no speaker, just a get together with a cup of tea/coffee.
I now have to find someone to make a few posters as I dont know how to do it on the computer, and then get the date formalised and advertised.
Thankyou all for your suggestions, much appreciated.