PDA

View Full Version : Oven Scones Help

skinnydog
25-Aug-08, 21:07
I have had a bash at making oven scones and they tasted fine but they didn't have enough height to them. I want great big high ones like they have in the Harbour Cafe, Wick. Anyone got a good recipe or some hints and tips? Thanks.

Buttercup
26-Aug-08, 17:10
I think the "secret" with oven scones is to make sure you work with the dough as little as possible. Most recipes only make about 6 - 8 scones and the tendency is to try to eke it out, but only roll it out to be about an inch thick. Personally, I like to flour the top of mine before baking but if you use egg, make sure you only put it on the top otherwise if it goes down the sides it "sets"/cooks before the dough and prevents it rising. Hope this helps.:D

topotheuk
27-Aug-08, 10:08
I agree about working with the dough as little as poss. I don't roll my dough at all. I just put it on the worktop and pat it into the thickness I want. I also usually only get about 6 or 7 scones from my mixture. Nice and high. Mmmmm think I need to swtich the oven on!!

lynne duncan
27-Aug-08, 13:45
also want to put the oven on anyone a good recipe please for oven scones

Anne x
27-Aug-08, 15:37
Preheat oven to gas 7 or 220
Baking sheet greased

Oven Scones

8ozs S R Flour
1 1/2 ozs Butter or Margarine
1 1/2 Tblsp Caster Sugar
pinch of Salt
5fl ozs Milk

sift flour rub in butter stir in sugar and salt add the milk little by little
flour your hands knead dough mix should be soft if not add a droppy more milk
turn out onto floured board roll it out to a thickness no less than 3/4 inches
cut with pastry cutter mine is 2ins knead the remaing dough again until you have all the dough used up

place on baking sheet dust with flour bake at the top of the oven for 12-15mins

Eat slightly warm with butter or jam
makes about 12

wifie
27-Aug-08, 15:41
This thread is driving me nuts - I am going to have to go and make some scones! Wahoo warm from the oven wi butter! :)

skinnydog
28-Aug-08, 09:40
Well gave them another try last night using all the above tips. Delicious taste but still not high enough. Practice makes perfect I suppose.....

topotheuk
28-Aug-08, 10:44
I use this recipe regularly and is really yummy

Preheat oven to gas 7 or 220

8ozs S R Flour
2 ozs Margarine
1 oz Caster Sugar
pinch of Salt
2 oz raisins (if required)
1 egg beaten and add enough milk to egg to make 1/4 pint and mix together

Rub in flour and margerine, stir in sugar, salt and raisins if using. add the milk/egg mix (leaving a little to brush on top of your scones) and stir. It will be very sticky.
flour an area/board for turning your mixture out onto with a decent amount of flour.
Need the mixture but only until it comes together, not too much (i usually only. When the mixture comes together pat it into a fairly thick round. Cut out a couple of scones, then re-pat the mix into another round and cut out your other scones. This should make around 6-7 scones. Brush a little egg mix on top of each scone.

Put in oven for 10 mins. - Enjoy!

Torvaig
28-Aug-08, 11:40
Ahem, excuse me.....anyone looking for an official taster? ;)

teenybash
28-Aug-08, 12:37
I like to add half a tspn baking powder to scone mixture .....they melt in your mouth everytime......;)

Gonna have to bake some now as my mouth is watering!!!!!

grandma
17-Sep-08, 12:07
I make my scones quite sticky in bowl and mix with fork or knife only - no hands. Turn out onto floured surface and sort of move it about a bit until smooth and outside not sticky any more. Roll very gently until about 3/4" - 1" thick then cut into circles and cook very hot.

Good Luck and keep trying. It'll work one of these times. :D