PDA

View Full Version : Would you pledge allegiance to the queen?

mccaugm
25-Aug-08, 21:02
There was an item on the news asking whether people would pledge allegiance to the queen and country as part of an official ceremony?

This was kicked of by the migrancy issue whereby people had to pledge allegiance in a ceremony akin to a gay/lesbian partnership.

Would you do it if asked or do you think that the fact you were born here makes the assumption that you are patriotic?

Personally I don't like the idea, I was born here, I have to pay a fortune to leave the country by paying for an overpriced passport, so why should I have to cowtow to political nonsense to stay here?

joxville
25-Aug-08, 21:12
No.

I pay her wages yet am expected to bow to her.

My boss pays my wages but he doesn't bow to me.

'Nuff said.

DeHaviLand
25-Aug-08, 21:31
No.

I pay her wages yet am expected to bow to her.

My boss pays my wages but he doesn't bow to me.

'Nuff said.

Or, to be more precise, you pay 66 pence per year to the upkeep of the Royal Family. That hardly constitutes paying anyones wage.
And can you show me where it says you are expected to bow?

TBH
25-Aug-08, 21:48
I wouldn't willingly pay 1 pence towards the royal family never mind 66.
They are nothing but parasites and have no valid reason to exist in modern society.

joxville
25-Aug-08, 21:55
Or, to be more precise, you pay 66 pence per year to the upkeep of the Royal Family. That hardly constitutes paying anyones wage.

66 pence too much. Tradition expects me to bow to her.

TBH
25-Aug-08, 22:03
66 pence too much. Tradition expects me to bow to her.A cat can look at a Queen Jox, surely it's about time we all could.
Let's get these relics into a big brother style house and we can all observe the way it was, live.
Sixty six pence wouldn't be that high a price for that kind of entertainment.:lol:

hotrod4
26-Aug-08, 06:14
Most certainly would. Many in the services pledge an allegiance and dont have a problem with it.
On this debate before I stated that its not really the Queen you are pledging to its the country with the Queen as our figure head.

Rheghead
26-Aug-08, 09:07
I would and have pledged allegience to the Queen. It really is no hardship to do! lol

A pledge of allegience to the Queen is a pledge of allegience to my country as they are part of the same. So why wouldn't I find it binding on my concience? Should the Queen act in such a way that she isn't acting in the best interests of my country then we can always boot her out as history has shown all too often. That is the strength of our country, the right to self determination, unlike a lot of republics that I could mention.:roll:

golach
26-Aug-08, 09:16
I would and have pledged allegience to the Queen. It really is no hardship to do! lol
In total agreement there Rheghead, done it, suffered no harm what so ever. It was quite painless too.[lol]

porshiepoo
26-Aug-08, 10:23
Would do it if forced - under sufferance.

Personally I don't believe that having a Royal family helps the solidarity of this country whatsoever and as for a figure head - yeah right!
Nice people I'm sure but sooooooooooooooooooo overrated, overpaid, over kept and quite frankly haven't a clue about the real worries of normal average everyday folk!

Rheghead
26-Aug-08, 10:31
I have a lot of respect for Prince Charles. I don't agree with everything that he says but on the whole, he will make a great King. He has trained all his life for the role. And he has an ability that is unsurpassed by anyone of communicating to people of differing backgrounds, crossed borders and abilities to get them together, often in the interest of Great Britain or peace or both. He is not his own person but someone who has a great responsibilty on his shoulders and one which he is livng up to admirably.

porshiepoo
26-Aug-08, 10:41
I have a lot of respect for Prince Charles. I don't agree with everything that he says but on the whole, he will make a great King. He has trained all his life for the role. And he has an ability that is unsurpassed by anyone of communicating to people of differing backgrounds, crossed borders and abilities to get them together, often in the interest of Great Britain or peace or both. He is not his own person but someone who has a great responsibilty on his shoulders and one which he is livng up to admirably.

And communicating with plants don't forget. That has to be of benefit to us somewhere along the line! :lol:

Maybe Charles would make a good King - I don't know - but whether he would be accepted with Camilla alongside I don't know.

The point for me though is, I'm not so sure we actually even need a Royal Family anymore. Are they really taken that seriously now anyway?

Bad Manners
26-Aug-08, 11:37
Have done so. Would do again if required. the monarch are a figure head that is constand throughout.. dispite which ever political party is in power they form a queens goverment. you only have to look at the usa at best they only have a figure head for a miximum of 8 years and how much training do they have to do the job? it says a lot when the biggest super power envies or royal family and our traditions because thats what we have /tradition history and respect. We fought for this country with pride we would defend this country with pride as its all part of who we are?
the very fact we can have open views and not live under some regiem who dictate what we can and cannot think is something to be proud of.

tonkatojo
26-Aug-08, 12:00
Did this with pride in 1966 ,I dont see the problem that some folks have in doing the same, certainly wouldn't pledge allegiance to salmonds ilk

Joefitz
26-Aug-08, 12:04
It always amuses, and sometimes upsets me, when this forum talks about the Royals, it seems negativity reigns. As an emigrant, living in the USA, while talking to others of my ilk, the Royals are almost always regarded as THE symbol of Britain, and British pride. Don't forget, you don't own them, just because you live there, they are OUR Royals, too!!

AfternoonDelight
26-Aug-08, 12:22
[quote=mccaugm;423278]There was an item on the news asking whether people would pledge allegiance to the queen and country as part of an official ceremony?quote]

No.

Tower of London - here I come!! :eek:

Tilter
26-Aug-08, 12:28

Agree with you there Rheghead but I'm afraid Charles might be senile by the time ER ups and pops her clogs (not that I've anything against Herself either - she's worked hard all her life).

What exactly do you have to do to pledge allegiance to Queen? Is it an armed forces thing? I've never had to do it personally.

Humerous Vegetable
26-Aug-08, 14:06
It always amuses, and sometimes upsets me, when this forum talks about the Royals, it seems negativity reigns. As an emigrant, living in the USA, while talking to others of my ilk, the Royals are almost always regarded as THE symbol of Britain, and British pride. Don't forget, you don't own them, just because you live there, they are OUR Royals, too!!

If you want them, please take them - and pay for them. Warning: there are 100s of them, hiding in rent-free houses all over the world. A bit like human dry rot.

Cattach
26-Aug-08, 14:31

Well said - you are correct and would we get a President as head of State for that price and would he or she be honest or do the job even a quarter as well.

As for bowing, it is not necessary but there are things called tradition, good manners and respect.When working my boss might not have bowed but in many other ways he, and she when the circumstance occurred, showed me great respect in other ways. Maybe the earlier contributor did not get the bow or equivalent as he/she (?) did not deserve it.

Good to see not everyone on this site has the jaudiced view of a family who have done much to make this country a secure and happy place to live in.

PS and I am a Scottish Nationalist but that does not make me anti the Queen.

scotsboy
26-Aug-08, 14:33
Have done and would do so again.

northener
26-Aug-08, 18:04
I always find it strange that some people have a problem with privileged people such as the (immediate) Royal Family and yet hang on to every deed and word related to some media 'celebrity'.

Other states (so-called Republics) have a 'President', who is generally appointed by political means and assumes the trappings of the Embodiment Of State. They have a 'First Wife' and an entourage that in many cases outnumbers our own Royal Familys.

Every single one of these 'Presidents' has a political alliance and preference through their former political life. Therefore they cannot act with independance from the political machinations of the country they are meant to represent and will always be seen as a front for the current regime in their own country.

Our Royal Family has seen it all over the past few hundred years, they have met and dealt with nearly every single leader on the Planet in the 20th and 21st Century and are respected as non-political envoys of Britain wherever they go.
They can cross cultural and political divides with a certain degree of impunity and talk to leaders and political figures who may be seen a pariahs by the rest of the world - without compromising anybody.

Show me any so-called 'republican president' who can command that amount of respect and gravitas and I'll show you a charlatan.

Of course, if any of you would like to exchange the current system for a 'president', please feel free to explain to everyone how it would be funded (and how much cheaper they could do it) and whom would be suitable for the office of 'Government Puppet'.

northener
26-Aug-08, 18:10
Oh, and like more than a few people, I pledged an allegiance to Queen & Country.

I wouldn't want to see it as a law, we are a Democracy and we can say or (within reason) do what we want.
One of the joys of being British (or Scots, Welsh, Northern Irish, English) is that we can come on here, or stand on a street corner and tell everybody to get stuffed if we want to.

There are some so-called 'democracies' and 'lands of the free' where that freedom is heavily curtailed...........

Sapphire2803
26-Aug-08, 18:16
Oh, and like more than a few people, I pledged an allegiance to Queen & Country.

I wouldn't want to see it as a law, we are a Democracy and we can say or (within reason) do what we want.
One of the joys of being British (or Scots, Welsh, Northern Irish) is that we can come on here, or stand on a street corner and tell everybody to get stuffed if we want to.

There are some so-called 'democracies' and 'lands of the free' where that freedom is heavily curtailed...........

Ok, testing, testing...

Get stuffed!

:lol:

hotrod4
26-Aug-08, 18:20
Ok, testing, testing...

Get stuffed!

:lol:

lmao at that one! Sorry northerner you left yourself more open than the preverbial lady of the night there!!! :) ;)

northener
26-Aug-08, 18:26
Dammit....I've been democratically stuffed....

Welcomefamily
26-Aug-08, 18:33
Yes without a doubt, I might not agree with all the hangers on as some of them have very expensive travel requirements. If the Duke of Yorks 12 over seas journeys cost £800,000, I would suggest that he either cuts his staff or travels less. Yes no doubt someone will say he was promoting Britain, however it is this sort of expenditure that is causing a lot of negativity about them.

I can make an over seas journey for about £350.00 thats if I stay 7 days. [lol]

northener
26-Aug-08, 18:48
Yes without a doubt, I might not agree with all the hangers on as some of them have very expensive travel requirements. If the Duke of Yorks 12 over seas journeys cost £800,000, I would suggest that he either cuts his staff or travels less. Yes no doubt someone will say he was promoting Britain, however it is this sort of expenditure that is causing a lot of negativity about them.

I can make an over seas journey for about £350.00 thats if I stay 7 days. [lol]

£800k divided by 12 = £66k per trip.

Top range suite per night could be as much as £2k per night ( very expensive is £4k-8k, stupidly expensive is £15k)). http://information.travel.aol.com/news-and-tips/expensive-suites

+ security staff, transport, etc etc.

I'd say that finacially that's probably inline with a top exec for a multinational corporation.

scorrie
26-Aug-08, 20:25
we are a Democracy and we can say or (within reason) do what we want.
One of the joys of being British (or Scots, Welsh, Northern Irish, English) is that we can come on here, or stand on a street corner and tell everybody to get stuffed if we want to.

You have no say in who is Monarch though. We choose those who represent us in Parliament through a Democratic process, yet we must accept our King or Queen purely on the basis that their parents proceeded them. If you stand on the street corner and shout at the Queen to "Get Stuffed" you will be swiftly locked up. Do it to Joe Public and, as you say, nothing will be done. Something wrong with that in my opinion. I don't buy into other people inheriting the right to have me bow at their feet.

Pledging an allegiance is farcical anyway, as it can be undertaken with no intention to carry it through. I suppose it comes down to whether you see yourself as a servant of Queen and Country or not. Personally speaking, I couldn't pledge allegiance, simply because I would be incapable of maintaining it if I felt that what was being asked of me was wrong.

I feel that support for the Monarchy will continue to decline with future generations.

scorrie
26-Aug-08, 20:29
Should the Queen act in such a way that she isn't acting in the best interests of my country then we can always boot her out as history has shown all too often.

Just wondering, when was the last Monarch booted out in Great Britain?

Rheghead
26-Aug-08, 21:02
Just wondering, when was the last Monarch booted out in Great Britain?

In effect, probably 1936.:confused

scorrie
26-Aug-08, 21:16
In effect, probably 1936.:confused

I thought he abdicated?

scorrie
26-Aug-08, 21:19
News just in.

As this photo shows, the Queen reads the org.

The photographer tells me, that Her Majesty was heard saying:-

"Young Man, could one please direct one to Scorrie's residence"

Sad when they can't take a bit of criticism!!

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i237/scorrie57/gunqeen.jpg

Rheghead
26-Aug-08, 21:21
I thought he abdicated?

An abdication in the same vein as Richard Nixon's resignation.

bettedaviseyes
26-Aug-08, 21:51
no i would not would she bow to me dont think so i dont care who she is:mad:http://argville.com/images/funny-pictures/queen.jpg

router
26-Aug-08, 21:58
This was kicked of by the migrancy issue whereby people had to pledge allegiance in a ceremony akin to a gay/lesbian partnership.

is the queen gay? :eek:

router
26-Aug-08, 22:01
yes 30yrs ago and took the official secrets act....

DM07
26-Aug-08, 22:05
I have also done this and would again

northener
26-Aug-08, 23:11
OK, lets get this into perspective.

I pledged allegiance (although it wasn't dressed up like that) when I joined the Armed Forces. If anyone is to serve the State then they should pledge allegiance to the Queen as an embodiment of the State.

This is not the same as pledging allegiance to the Queen in a personal sense. The Queen is a figurehead and represents the continuance of State (something many other 'democracies' have a problem maintaining) in other words, politicians may come and go but the State remains (and please let's not sidetrack this into a Scots independance issue).

It's a pretty simple concept, really.
Some countries pledge allegiance to a flag. I'll pledge allegiance to our Head of State - if I am required to as part of my job as a State employee (which i no longer am) - I won't if I'm not working for the State.

As for being required to 'bow for the Queen'...absolute horseshit, it doesn't exist in modern Britain, and rightly so.

northener
26-Aug-08, 23:15
[quote=scorrie;423705]................ If you stand on the street corner and shout at the Queen to "Get Stuffed" you will be swiftly locked up. Do it to Joe Public and, as you say, nothing will be done.....................

quote]

So in France (always quoted by republicans as a shining example) or wherever you would be allowed to carry on?
I think you'd be nicked a damn sight faster than you would in the UK, Scorrie.

Rheghead
26-Aug-08, 23:26
If you stand on the street corner and shout at the Queen to "Get Stuffed" you will be swiftly locked up. Do it to Joe Public and, as you say, nothing will be done.

I disagree. Shouting 'Get stuffed' at anyone will be deemed as a breach of the peace. Obviously, the tone of the offence and circumstances will have an effect if the perpetrator will be locked up.

Anne x
26-Aug-08, 23:54
Do girl guides count I promise to do my best to do my duty etc well I Have pled Allegiance

Monarchy the best ever whats the alternative Brown For President or even worse President Salmon

She is Our Monarch head of our Commonwealth like a lot of families the woman cannot help what happened her children ie divorces etc in that respect she is no different from any other Mother in the land in todays society
I agree a lot of Hangers on within that family who inmop should not be given handouts but Princess Royal and HRH Prince Charles work there butts of for this Country not in the 9-5 sense but still do remarkable works for trusts and charity

If I met her tmr which is highly unlikely I would curtsey to her as a mark of respect In the way I was brought up to believe the woman gave her life to duty be it in a closseted enviroment of which we would never understand the privileged and smothered life she has led all in the name of duty and its actually quite sad she knows no other freedom she cannot even have a day at the races without pomp and ceremony

Last word She knows no other way of life we can change ours

TBH
27-Aug-08, 00:05
That picture of the queen leach with the silenced pistol is scarey, she actually looks like she could kill and not think twice about it.:eek:

wifie
27-Aug-08, 00:07
She probs could (watch out scorrie) - do they not all go huntin, SHOOTIN and fishin? Must say tho her index finger looks long - more like ET than ER! :eek:

TBH
27-Aug-08, 00:09
She probs could (watch out scorrie) - do they not all go huntin, SHOOTIN and fishin? Must say tho her index finger looks long - more like ET than ER! :eek:It's a reptilian trait.

_Ju_
27-Aug-08, 07:16
I pledge my allegiances through my democratic vote. It is valid for as long as I believe the person I am voting for is doing the job I wanted him/her to do.

scorrie
27-Aug-08, 09:50
I disagree. Shouting 'Get stuffed' at anyone will be deemed as a breach of the peace. Obviously, the tone of the offence and circumstances will have an effect if the perpetrator will be locked up.

I would bet any money you wish that the matter would be dealt with differently if you did it to the Queen. I think our Police resources are stretched enough as it is without enforcing every cry of "Get stuffed" in our Country. You are living on Fantasy Island if you seriously believe any differently.

scorrie
27-Aug-08, 09:58
Do girl guides count I promise to do my best to do my duty etc well I Have pled Allegiance

Monarchy the best ever whats the alternative Brown For President or even worse President Salmon

She is Our Monarch head of our Commonwealth like a lot of families the woman cannot help what happened her children ie divorces etc in that respect she is no different from any other Mother in the land in todays society
I agree a lot of Hangers on within that family who inmop should not be given handouts but Princess Royal and HRH Prince Charles work there butts of for this Country not in the 9-5 sense but still do remarkable works for trusts and charity

If I met her tmr which is highly unlikely I would curtsey to her as a mark of respect In the way I was brought up to believe the woman gave her life to duty be it in a closseted enviroment of which we would never understand the privileged and smothered life she has led all in the name of duty and its actually quite sad she knows no other freedom she cannot even have a day at the races without pomp and ceremony

Last word She knows no other way of life we can change ours

Anne, How many people would swap places with the Queen?

Would the Queen swap her life for the "freedom" of a single mother with four kids, living on benefits in a run-down housing estate over-run by Neds and Druggies?

All of the so-called "work" for Charities is an endless gravy train of excursions involving little more than turning up. If that's "working your butt off" then count my curvy butt IN!!

Rheghead
27-Aug-08, 10:37
I would bet any money you wish that the matter would be dealt with differently if you did it to the Queen. I think our Police resources are stretched enough as it is without enforcing every cry of "Get stuffed" in our Country. You are living on Fantasy Island if you seriously believe any differently.

I think that I would put myself in a position of being arrested if I walked down Traill Street in the afternoon and shouted to passers-by to 'Get Stuffed'. But can you give any references of anyone getting locked up for just telling the Queen to 'Get Stuffed'? Without evidence, then it is pure fantasy.:roll:

However, since we are just talking hyperthetical, then the Queen is afforded all the rights under the law as anyone else.

scorrie
27-Aug-08, 14:23
I think that I would put myself in a position of being arrested if I walked down Traill Street in the afternoon and shouted to passers-by to 'Get Stuffed'. But can you give any references of anyone getting locked up for just telling the Queen to 'Get Stuffed'? Without evidence, then it is pure fantasy.:roll:

However, since we are just talking hyperthetical, then the Queen is afforded all the rights under the law as anyone else.

A man walks into Thurso Police Station and tells the Sergeant:-

"A guy in Traill Street just told me to get stuffed"

Unless we are on Planet Rheg, the most likely thing that will happen is that the Sergeant will hand the man a box of Paxos and tell him to get on with it.

Recommended Listening:-

The Stranglers - Get a Grip on Yourself ;)

Rheghead
27-Aug-08, 15:29
A man walks into Thurso Police Station and tells the Sergeant:-

"A guy in Traill Street just told me to get stuffed"

Unless we are on Planet Rheg, the most likely thing that will happen is that the Sergeant will hand the man a box of Paxos and tell him to get on with it.

Recommended Listening:-

The Stranglers - Get a Grip on Yourself ;)

Ad hominem.

However, the Sergeant couldn't do anything for the Queen either but even if he could, can you really see the Queen going into Thurso police station to complain about a man who said 'Get stuffed' to her?

The Queen is no stranger to heckling, she would do as she always has done and kept a stiff upper lip and carried on.

scorrie
27-Aug-08, 16:21
Ad hominem.

However, the Sergeant couldn't do anything for the Queen either but even if he could, can you really see the Queen going into Thurso police station to complain about a man who said 'Get stuffed' to her?

The Queen is no stranger to heckling, she would do as she always has done and kept a stiff upper lip and carried on.

Ad Nauseam

Rheghead
27-Aug-08, 16:40
Ad hominem comments is a sign that the arguement is lost. If you can give me a set of real circumstances where the Queen will be treated any differently then I will be pleased to address them.

I agree the guy walking into a police station would be fobbed off, but if the Queen did the same then she would be fobbed off too, only more politely, as no more offences are likely to take place.

Also, a guy shouting 'Get Stuffed' on the street, it depends on the gesturing, queen or no queen, there may be grounds for arrest.

hails4
27-Aug-08, 16:59
only person i pledge my allegiances to is my partner, i think all lives should be valued the same regardless of race, religion etc. No one human should be dramatically superior to the next just because their "great great grandads" was a king or queen over 200 years ago. Waste of taxpayers money IMO

scorrie
27-Aug-08, 17:20
Ad hominem comments is a sign that the arguement is lost.

Nice of you to concede defeat so gracefully ;)

I won't insult your intelligence by explaining what Ad Nauseam means!!