PDA

View Full Version : Edinburgh Military Tattoo

horseman
25-Aug-08, 19:48
Only seen half hour of it,-no too keen on some of the 'hollywood mini kilted' aspect of it,but the pipes an drums flavour is still there an it will travel world wide.:)

Bad Manners
26-Aug-08, 11:27
There was a time the Edinburgh Military Tattoo was just that a display of military bands representations of all the services and with a few other items thrown in. Now it would appear that it is more showbiz than military.
It is still watchable but does not have the Feel of the traditional Tattoo.
I mean no discredit to those who took part I just feel it has forgotten its roots in fovour of glamour.

AfternoonDelight
26-Aug-08, 12:21
Progress, modernisation, attracting new audiences... The Tattoo is one of the best examples of mixing the old with the new, and has to evolve to stay alive.

It continues to be one of the best live shows in the country and I never miss it on the telly. I had the good fortune to go a couple of years ago and I was stirred to my cockles.

It made me proud to be Scottish and I hope it continues to progress and develop and showcase the many traditions, not just of Scotland but of the whole world. ;)

northener
26-Aug-08, 17:38
Progress, modernisation, attracting new audiences... The Tattoo is one of the best examples of mixing the old with the new, and has to evolve to stay alive.

It continues to be one of the best live shows in the country and I never miss it on the telly. I had the good fortune to go a couple of years ago and I was stirred to my cockles.

It made me proud to be Scottish and I hope it continues to progress and develop and showcase the many traditions, not just of Scotland but of the whole world. ;)

I agree, the mix may have changed - but the recipe is still good.

dessie
26-Aug-08, 19:04
and i forgot it was on.......was it worth watching,,,:mad:

dessie
26-Aug-08, 19:07
my nephew has a shell from the gun that is fired every day...it was given by the master himself before he passed away a few yrs ago....

nightspirit
28-Aug-08, 20:32
Went to see it live the otrher year - good on telly but omg so so much better live !!

Fluff
29-Aug-08, 21:12
my brother was in it a few years ago when the Highlanders were based at the castle. I am still gutted that I was not able to go and see him in it.
I would still love so so much to go and see it live though.