PDA

View Full Version : Thurso To Inverness By Car!

bigbenjokazooie
25-Aug-08, 16:50
Hello,

First time driving in my car from Thurso To Ness on sunday...

Any tips?
Worst areas to look out for?
What gears to use on the berridale braes?

Much appreciated.

silverfox57
25-Aug-08, 16:55
think you should have a good experienced driver with you, for first time .hope you do well,

Solus
25-Aug-08, 16:58
take your time, its not a race, drive within your comfort zone. Treat everything on the road as a threat and enjoy your drive.

the_count
25-Aug-08, 17:06
All the bends are bad lol, even the one you think you can take at 60, as the camber is usually wrong lol. The braes are not as bad as you think just take your time and you should be ok. The A9 has been straightened out quite a bit going into helmsdale now so no dangerous hairpins anymore and it has speeded the journey up quite a bit. should take you around 2 hours for the journey so give yourself thee hours and take your time .... Safe Journey :D

hotrod4
25-Aug-08, 17:45
I allow about 3 hours due to the fact I smoke!
I make it my personal goal to stop in every county and have a smoke. I find it breaks the journey down and allows you time to compose yourself.
The roads isnt too bad once you get out of Caithness. On the roundabouts I always stick to the outside lane as thats what most of the Inverness folk do! So if your on the inside they wont let you through :)

Thumper
25-Aug-08, 18:19
LOL Hotrod,you remind me of my Mum when she used to drive down to Aberdeen...I would be screaming at her that she was in the wrong lane as she sat slap bang in the middle....her answer was "well if I sit in the middle I cant be in the wrong lane either way!" :eek: x

wifie
25-Aug-08, 18:46
I'm wi Solus here - it is definitely not a race - give yourself plenty time. We all have to have a first time so enjoy it!
I am editin here to add that if you are fairly new to driving you will be exhausted by your drive cos a couple of hours plus of concentration can take it out of you even if you are young! I was quite young when I first did it - yes I can remember back that far!

mccaugm
25-Aug-08, 18:48
My father in law drove to Inverness with myself and my mother in law. As with a lot of older Caithnessians he did not know how to negotiate roundabouts...priceless. No matter how well I directed he went the wrong way. [lol]

canuck
25-Aug-08, 19:18
Watch the road and not the scenery, even though it is one of the most gorgeous drives anywhere.

Listen to Solus and Wifie - go at a speed comfortable for you. If the cars pile up behind, then please, please find a safe place to pull over and let them pass.

I've always made the drive in an automatic so I cannot help you with the gear thing.

Good luck and enjoy your trip. I remember my first trip along the road and how I hoped that I would never have to do it again. But don't give up. I love the drive now.

fender
25-Aug-08, 19:29
Have you applied fo this?

http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourcouncil/news/newsreleases/2007/August/2007-08-27-04.htm

northener
25-Aug-08, 19:49
Hello,

First time driving in my car from Thurso To Ness on sunday...

Any tips?
Worst areas to look out for?
What gears to use on the berridale braes?

Much appreciated.

Remember your instructors comments:

Always ensure you can stop inside the distance you can see.

Two second rule on the car in front.

If stuck behind a slow moving vehicle - be aware of fast cars coming up the outside of everybody in the line.

If you feel you are being 'pushed' down the road by cars being too close behind you - don't speed up. Continue at a safe speed until you find somewhere safe to pull over and let them past.

And enjoy it!:Razz

joxville
25-Aug-08, 20:25
I agree with Northener. Also, look upon other drivers as fools that could do the unexpected and you won't go far wrong.

PS I'm one of those fools sometimes-check my videos for proof.[lol]

Fran
26-Aug-08, 01:53
Keep your eyes to the front, to the back, to the left, to the right and well ahead!! Seriously look well ahead and allow for idiots overtaking and heading right at you on the straight roads. go third gear down Berriedale then to 2nd gear at the bottom turn then try and pick a bit of speed up for going up the hill on the other side.There are quite a few deer around. The best advice i could give you is adhere to road signs which tell you to slow down, and sharp bends etc then you cant go wrong. good luck and enjoy it. Watch out for traffic lights at Helmsdale