PDA

View Full Version : Mwah Mwah

badger
25-Aug-08, 16:35
What is all this kissing about these days. The female Olympians were kissed when presented with their medals (did anyone ask if they minded?). I didn't see many presentations so don't know if any females did the presenting and kissed the men. The BBC presenter welcoming them back just now was kissing them - does she know them?

Watching Dragons Den again, which is supposed to finish up with a business arrangement when someone is successful, men shake hands with men, can't remember whether women kiss each other but men kiss women and even Deborah Meaden kisses a fellow dragon if they're joining forces. It's business! What's wrong with a handshake all round?

I'm sure once a kiss was a sign of affection but now it seems you have to kiss people all the time, or a least mwah mwah them.

Then there's all that awkward which side first and both going for the same one and bumping noses or clashing specs. I think there's a rule but can't remember it.

What do you think about this? How long before we're kissing everyone in sight? I say thank you to bus drivers up here when I get off (wouldn't do that in London :eek: ) but don't think they want to be kissed - can you imagine the queues? Or at checkouts? Pick up your shopping and kiss goodbye.

arana negra
25-Aug-08, 16:51
hahaha kiss both cheeks is the norm here, I now feel shaking hands is a bit formal and not nearly so friendly. Mind you there are a few fellas that make my skin crawl and being that close makes me cringe shivers.

Left cheek then right x x :D

badger
25-Aug-08, 17:20
hahaha kiss both cheeks is the norm here, I now feel shaking hands is a bit formal and not nearly so friendly. Mind you there are a few fellas that make my skin crawl and being that close makes me cringe shivers.

Left cheek then right x x :D

Thanks - I'll try to remember that. Left then right, left then right .....

_Ju_
25-Aug-08, 17:22
it's a cultural thing. In Portugal a woman says hello to male and female aquaintences with two air kisses, friends two touching cheek kisses and family with a hug and two kisses. Men greet eachother with a hand shake but women with said kisses. In holland it's three kisses which confuses me. As does the russian habit of men greeting eachother with kisses and here saying hello with an akward wave if you are friends or a handshake if being introduced or just an aquaintance......

mccaugm
25-Aug-08, 17:28
Is it because the British are slightly anal? Signs of affection are signs of weakness. I love it when kisses (with a non-partner) are signs of friendship rather than with sexual overtones.

More kisses equals more love and affection. Better than the society we are in, where greetings seem to be with derision, weapons and angry overtones.[evil]

hotrod4
25-Aug-08, 17:41
Is it because the British are slightly anal? .[evil]

Not the best choice of words when discussing kissing! ;)

mccaugm
25-Aug-08, 18:02

Maybe but we are as a nation...LOL

badger
25-Aug-08, 18:04
Is it because the British are slightly anal? Signs of affection are signs of weakness. I love it when kisses (with a non-partner) are signs of friendship rather than with sexual overtones.

More kisses equals more love and affection. Better than the society we are in, where greetings seem to be with derision, weapons and angry overtones.[evil]

I'd agree if they were signs of affection but so often it's just a thing to do and means nothing. I really don't believe there is any affection between a dragon and his/her latest business partner or all those people on other reality tv. mwah mwah

scotsboy
25-Aug-08, 18:11
I heard a bit on the BBC World Service recently that kissing in business is getting more and more "mainstream", so look out when you next go to see the bank manager!

Thumper
25-Aug-08, 18:15
I always greet my friends with a hug and a kiss especially those I dont see often! I wouldnt just kiss anybody though,contrary to belief I am fussy ;) Seriously,its a nice thing for friends to be able to greet each other with affection,but as badger has said its not really "fitting" when its done by people that share no affection normally x

Sandra_B
25-Aug-08, 18:21
Oh! I hate the "kiss kiss". Steve's family are big on that along with a huge hug. We lived in Italy and the landlady would "kiss kiss" us whenever we met her, which was quite a lot as we lived upstairs from her. Also it's popular with some of the parents at the boys school, it takes all I have not too push them away.

I mean come on, we've been married over 20 years and are still exchanging a hearty handshake before bed! ;)

TBH
25-Aug-08, 18:23
Not the best choice of words when discussing kissing! ;)Depends which set of cheeks they are kissing.:lol:

wifie
25-Aug-08, 18:37
Not the best choice of words when discussing kissing!

[quote=TBH;423195]Depends which set of cheeks they are kissing./quote]

[lol] Gives a whole new meaning to "Kiss my A.....hem forgotten what I was gonna say there :confused "

northener
25-Aug-08, 19:43
I don't go with all this touchy-feely kissing mularkey.

When dealing in business, one should shake the other persons hand firmly whilst keeping you left hand on the hilt of ones' dagger.

When meeting a lady, one should snap the heels together and offer a curt and manly nod of the head.

When meeting someone who you find disagreeable, one should ignore the offered hand (if the cove has the breeding to offer this as a greeting) and release the dogs.

After intercourse with a lady friend, one should raise ones hat and shake their hand firmly......

mccaugm
25-Aug-08, 20:47
Which particular eighteenth century novel did you pluck that from?

Curious observer...

Melancholy Man
25-Aug-08, 21:03

Could have been worse. It could have been called a quaint practice.

Tilter
25-Aug-08, 21:34
Badger,
You'll get two big smackers from me next time I see you.

badger
25-Aug-08, 22:17
Badger,
You'll get two big smackers from me next time I see you.

Thanks for the warning - make sure you get it right though.

Left, right

Sporran
26-Aug-08, 04:50
I heard a bit on the BBC World Service recently that kissing in business is getting more and more "mainstream", so look out when you next go to see the bank manager!

Yikes! The only time the bank manager would get a kiss and hug out of me is if he granted me an interest free mortgage!

I don't go with all this touchy-feely kissing mularkey.

When meeting a lady, one should snap the heels together and offer a curt and manly nod of the head.

After intercourse with a lady friend, one should raise ones hat and shake their hand firmly......

And don't forget to thank her politely as well, Sir Northener! ;) :lol:

Tilter
26-Aug-08, 11:57
Thanks for the warning - make sure you get it right though.
Left, right
Fear not, timorous Brock, it shall be done correctly as I'm going to practise on my bank manager first. I'll even throw in a hug for you as well.

Tilter
26-Aug-08, 11:59

Good heavens Northerner, you'll be saying next you take your boots off.

AfternoonDelight
26-Aug-08, 12:25
Socks firmly on though, one would imagine...

northener
26-Aug-08, 17:40
.............And don't forget to thank her politely as well, Sir Northener! ;) :lol:

I think she'll be thanking me...;)

northener
26-Aug-08, 17:41

Absolutely not. A fine pair of hand-made boots are a positive boon to wooing.

Welcomefamily
26-Aug-08, 18:50
Would you not offer her a seat in case of fatigue or heat stoke if the weather was fine of course and it lasted a few hours.

wifie
26-Aug-08, 22:24
Would you not offer her a seat in case of fatigue or heat stoke if the weather was fine of course and it lasted a few hours.

Emmm confused Welcomefamily - is that the fine weather that will be lastin a few hours? :confused