PDA

View Full Version : Myra Hindleys Painting

Welcomefamily
25-Aug-08, 08:17
How on earth could any one in charge of the Visit London event think its was right to show the painting of Myra Hindley as part of their film for the Olympic presentation, she does nothing to promote the spirit of the games.
The person concern should resign right away and if No 10 petitions were open I would be starting one.:mad:

Welcomefamily
25-Aug-08, 08:19
http://www.smh.com.au/news/news/killer-ad-kicks-off-londons-games/2008/08/25/1219516318637.html

My friends e-mailed the link from Austrilia

http://3news.co.nz/News/InternationalNews/BeijingfarewellstheOlympicsinstyle/tabid/417/articleID/68425/cat/61/Default.aspx

From NZ

brokencross
25-Aug-08, 08:33
There was an outcry when the picture was first revealed, a portrait of a multiple child murderer made using the handprints of children. Sick.

dook
25-Aug-08, 08:39
How on earth could any one in charge of the Visit London event think its was right to show the painting of Myra Hindley as part of their film for the Olympic presentation, she does nothing to promote the spirit of the games.
The person concern should resign right away and if No 10 petitions were open I would be starting one.:mad:

She's got about as much to do with the games as David Beckam and he still attends with Boris Johnson to pick up the torch!!

brokencross
25-Aug-08, 08:42
She's got about as much to do with the games as David Beckam
As much as I dislike all the Beckham mania, he was there because he is high profile sportsman AND he was a member of the Olympic bid team.

dook
25-Aug-08, 08:52
As much as I dislike all the Beckham mania, he was there because he is high profile sportsman AND he was a member of the Olympic bid team.

Suited him at the time to get his 100th English cap even though he sold out and followed the money. USA for 2016, smell like Beckam........

Cattach
25-Aug-08, 09:17
She's got about as much to do with the games as David Beckam and he still attends with Boris Johnson to pick up the torch!!

David Beckham has matured into an articulate and nice young man and still only in his early thirties. His recent Olympic interbview on TV and others have shown him to be a very responsible individual. My view of him has completely changed over the last five years and as a Scottish Nationalist and a fervent Scottish footbal fan I feel I am in a good position to express such a view. Anyone who compares Beckham and Johnston with this Hindley person is quite clearly 'off their rocker'. Quite honestly even mentioning them in the same sentence is quite obscene and does no credit to Dook.

Bad Manners
25-Aug-08, 09:27
The portrait of britain will be what is in the cocooned world of a select few. We already know that what ever happens someone will not be happy.
We have had this event on the books for some time now and so far the handover has been very disapointing. both in content and in style at the very least boris should have wore a tie after all he is representing his city.
the whole thing had a look of something arranged on the way to the event.
My views on the olympics in london have been aired elsewhere but in a country that is steeped in tradision and pagentry is this realy the best they could come up with?

Welcomefamily
25-Aug-08, 10:05

I read some where that he has more members of his fan club in China than anywhere else, many millions with over 1 billion people watching his games.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4159/is_20030803/ai_n12743166

http://galleryoftheabsurd.typepad.com/14/2008/02/beckhams-chines.html :lol::lol::lol:

Melancholy Man
25-Aug-08, 10:14

I'd agree it was inappropriate, but the sense of defenestrating individuals and micro-management of tasks is an attitude of the last 11 years we need to get away from: especially as the screening lasted less than one second, and was by no means to crux of the presentation.

Someone made a mistake, and should be bollocked. But resignations at the drop of a hat? You won't have a planning team left by 2010!

Welcomefamily
25-Aug-08, 10:28
I'd agree it was inappropriate, but the sense of defenestrating individuals and micro-management of tasks is an attitude of the last 11 years we need to get away from: especially as the screening lasted less than one second, and was by no means to crux of the presentation.

Someone made a mistake, and should be bollocked. But resignations at the drop of a hat? You won't have a planning team left by 2010!

Someone from Visit London should have known, they have spent over a year putting it together at a huge cost. The largest global TV viewing figures ever and surely someone must of thought its in bad taste.
These people are marketing London so they must have some sense of what normal people sould find distasteful. Im sorry their fired. ;)

Welcomefamily
25-Aug-08, 10:40
Its about as positive for the games as using Dr H Shipman as an advert for bupa.

Nibbler
25-Aug-08, 10:46
The mind boggles!! How can anyone suggest that this is art!

This Marcus Harvey must be some kind of twisted human being (term 'human being' has been used very loosely) to use childrens handprints to make up a portrait of one of the worst child killers in this country [mad].

I am sorry but I actually feel sick to my stomach with this. His other artwork may be okay but to come up with this idea ...... Beggars belief.

Then, to top it all, it is used in a three minute video to show off this country for the Olympics and in the tourism trade.

I would have thought that this picture would never have been used to 'show off' Britain but, there you go!! The powers that be - great, aint they.

Venture
25-Aug-08, 10:49
I can't begin to imagine how those who lost children at the hands of Hindley must have felt watching the ceremony on TV? The people who organised the promotional video should be sacked. How can anyone associate a portrait of that monster with London or the Olympics? I for one don't want to be reminded of her face and Im sure neither do the parents of the children involved.

Melancholy Man
25-Aug-08, 13:23
Someone from Visit London should have known, they have spent over a year putting it together at a huge cost. The largest global TV viewing figures ever and surely someone must of thought its in bad taste.

If so, how many people outwith the UK would have recognized her? The Shipman/Bupa analogy is false as well {*}, as her legacy is not being celebrated or made light of (as the Krays' often is). Like it or not, her mug-shot is one of the defining images of 1960s Britain: they're more recent than, say, Jack the Ripper, but maybe the reasoning was that this display was to represent both the heaven and hell in the country.

The memories of her victims are theirs, first of all. This would have caused pangs of horror, but after 40 years of their being reminded daily by the media of something they could not have changed and can not be changed it is time to let them finish their lives in peace. We have former sectarian gangmasters and demagogues feted in Northern Ireland, and a comedy about Graham Frederick Young has remained on the shelves for over ten years.

Again, this was one image which lasted a fraction of a second, for which an aknowledgement of its inappropriateness should be made. The media is full of distasteful images, though. I often see cheeky portrayals of Mao to advertize China, for instance, and he killed a hell of a lot more than Hindley.

{*} Although the t-shirt "Harold, Carry on Doctor" I saw is bad taste.

Rheghead
25-Aug-08, 14:22
This Hindley thing is just the start of what is to come. It is media politics of close scrutiny and attempts to shame for the sake of it. I wouldn't have the Hindley portrait because she doesn't spring to mind readily about what Britain represents. And anyway, that portrait of Hindley was made up of lots of child hand prints and it was intended to represent forgiveness and reconciliation, two worthy attributes that are lost on so many but which we would want the world to know about. But clearly Great Britain is who she is, warts and all, do we really want to portray a perfect Britain to the world? We've just witnessed a games where they would show portraits of a despot like Mao (who was responsible for millions more deaths than Hindley) and then they would replace a wee girl just because she wasn't pretty enough and then we'd say China's games were exceptional, that is really quite bizarre. Come on, this Hindley thing is a storm in a teacup. I bet there are fowkies in China right now who don't have the foggiest about Hindley but are right now condemning GB for having people in wheelchairs in the closing ceremony.[disgust]

Melancholy Man
25-Aug-08, 15:16
We've just witnessed a games where they would show a despot like Mao (who was responsible for millions more deaths than Hindley) and replace a wee girl just because she wasn't pretty enough and then we'd say China's games were exceptional, that is really quite bizarre.

What seamless segue! From the monsterous instigator of the Cultural Revolution to not wanting an ugly bug spoiling the photo-shoot!

Remember, the cheering crowds outside Downing Street after the 1997 General Election were bused in. I'm comparing this to the wee girl, of course.

benji
25-Aug-08, 22:02
....considering that the video was probably put together by some teenage "advertising executive" in London who has never heard of Myra, Beijing, the Cultural Revolution but does idolise Beckham and Leona Lewis.......it was probably a genuine mistake.....but a "quiet" word would maybe be in order