PDA

View Full Version : CCTV cameras, good idea or invasion of privacy

mccaugm
23-Aug-08, 18:01
After listening to the following on the radio news...

A teeneage girl was assaulted in Glasgow (behind Buchanan St) after being seperated from her friends. The police think the perpetrator will be located once they look at CCTV from the area.

I more than ever feel they are a god send.

Do CCTV cameras make you feel more secure or do you feel they detract from your privacy?

teenybash
23-Aug-08, 18:09
CCTV is okay with me and I don't even think of them when in an area....watching.. :eek:
If you are not up to something dodgy why should their presence bother anyone. They do a tremendous job in tracking 'last known movements' etc which have helped solve a lot of crimes.......Pity there weren't more Bobbies out there preventing crime.......[disgust]

Sporran
23-Aug-08, 18:16
I am for them, rather than against them. If they can deter and help solve crimes, then all the more power to them!

poppett
23-Aug-08, 18:43
Surely it`s only the wrong do-ers who would object to CCTV protecting our streets? If doing nothing wrong then I have nothing to hide and if it helps detect crime then all the better.

I would like to think it would act as a deterrent from vandalism if there were more CCTV cameras about the town.

Welcomefamily
23-Aug-08, 19:17
They are excellant, we have used them two years ago to deal with an incident, the camera did not lie and it was sorted very quickly.

Margaret M.
23-Aug-08, 19:37
I support them -- should one really expect privacy in a public area?

Nibbler
23-Aug-08, 19:53
I am all for them as they are good for helping police capture people who have been up to no good (and may be a deterrent in some cases) but a lot depends on their location in residential areas!!

Some may offer those watching the monitors more than just what goes on in the street. Depending on the CCTV site, they can look into peoples' windows that are above ground level.

Although I believe the above would not be a common issue with these CCTV cameras I know of some that do cause the local residents some concern about their privacy (in their own home) being invaded.

Like I said, I am all for them but, if one was to be located outside my house, with the possibility of it being able to see into my rooms, my opinion may then change.

vodka-queen
24-Aug-08, 01:10
I personally am more for than against but at the end of the day it never worked for me i was swung bout the main street for several minutes a few years back and there was not a thign done about it. They work when they want to thats the thing!!

katarina
24-Aug-08, 10:54
i'm all for them. the more the better. I wouldn't want them pointing at my bedroom window - but aren't they angled at the street?

gollach
24-Aug-08, 13:16
i'm all for them. the more the better. I wouldn't want them pointing at my bedroom window - but aren't they angled at the street?

Depends on the type. One of the black bubble-shaped ones looks right into my garden and bedroom window. Not impressed. Still don't know how it was installed without planning permission that would have informed me about it. First I knew was when it went up!

In this sense, I am not in favour of them at all :mad:

Margaret M.
24-Aug-08, 14:53
Depends on the type. One of the black bubble-shaped ones looks right into my garden and bedroom window. Not impressed. Still don't know how it was installed without planning permission that would have informed me about it. First I knew was when it went up!

Now that is an invasion of privacy -- I would be lobbying to have it relocated.

poppett
24-Aug-08, 14:59
Privacy screen for the bedroom window for your privacy and keep the camera for crime watching would be my option.

gollach
24-Aug-08, 15:29
Privacy screen for the bedroom window for your privacy and keep the camera for crime watching would be my option.

Consultation on the siting of CCTV cameras would be my option.

mccaugm
25-Aug-08, 17:23

Have you contacted the Police or council, I am sure that something could be done if your voiced your concerns.

gollach
25-Aug-08, 18:53
Have you contacted the Police or council, I am sure that something could be done if your voiced your concerns.

Thanks. Yes, I went to the police. Got standard response that software blacks out non-public areas, such gardens, windows, etc. when images are viewed by the operator. They were unwilling to let me see the screens for myself though.

If what they say is true then I have another question. Are the same areas blackened out in the recording as well as the live images?

mccaugm
25-Aug-08, 18:58
Thanks. Yes, I went to the police. Got standard response that software blacks out non-public areas, such gardens, windows, etc. when images are viewed by the operator. They were unwilling to let me see the screens for myself though.

If what they say is true then I have another question. Are the same areas blackened out in the recording as well as the live images?

I am sorry but that sounds rather dodgy to me. I would call again and say that you want to see the film. Thought that with the law that states we can see certain data held about us, that that would be included. Quick check with the CAB might help or failing that and maybe a few pennies spent on a word in the shell-like of a local solicitor.

horseman
25-Aug-08, 22:24
cctv's are only as good as the people who moniter them...

Melancholy Man
25-Aug-08, 22:34
Anecdote, I was once at the top of Leith Walk when a 14 year old boy threw summat at a bus. Driver doesn't flinch, just carries on driving... less than 30 seconds later, a police car whizzes around the corner, no siren, and out leaps a officer who tears over and grabs the boy in question.

Absolute horror passed across his face!

TBH
25-Aug-08, 23:21

If what they say is true then I have another question. Are the same areas blackened out in the recording as well as the live images?They are talking bollocks, these images can only be blocked out after the fact.

TBH
25-Aug-08, 23:25
Anecdote, I was once at the top of Leith Walk when a 14 year old boy threw summat at a bus. Driver doesn't flinch, just carries on driving... less than 30 seconds later, a police car whizzes around the corner, no siren, and out leaps a officer who tears over and grabs the boy in question.

Absolute horror passed across his face!There's nothing like the police to pounce on a minor misdemeanour whilst the big crimes go unsolved.

Melancholy Man
25-Aug-08, 23:26

Depends (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/4561889.stm). I doubt the Freedom of Information Act would permit access to video footage, but does it allow you to see whichever memo states the avove?