PDA

View Full Version : Hypnotherapy in Caithness?

Westsider3
22-Aug-08, 23:07
Does anyone know if there is anyone in Caithness that does hypnotherapy?

Fran
23-Aug-08, 02:14
Andrew Usher at dunbeath surgery is one, and there is a lady called Helen at Lyth but I cannoit remember her surname. I think there is also one at the Bridges clinic in thurso.

Welcomefamily
23-Aug-08, 19:23
Check British Psychological Society web site as they must have members near by.

katarina
24-Aug-08, 10:55
Andrew Usher at dunbeath surgery is one, and there is a lady called Helen at Lyth but I cannoit remember her surname. I think there is also one at the Bridges clinic in thurso.

It's helen Wilson from lythe and she advertises in the groat fairly often

Angela
24-Aug-08, 11:03
You could check out certified hypnotherapists here

http://www.britishinstituteofhypnotherapy.org/

The hypnotherapist I've seen in Edinburgh (with great success) is a certified member of the BIH.

Personal recommendation is always a good thing though! :)

A_Usher
25-Aug-08, 09:31
Hi there,
Yes we provide hypnotherapy at Dunbeath Surgery, as a private therapy. The first session is always free and is an introduction to hypnosis, what it is, what it can do, and more importantly what it cant do. As a therapy system its important that both parties can work together, and its worth remembering its a therapy, the hypnosis part is very small in the overall procedure.

One thing also worth noting is that there is no one single register or approved body, anyone can be a hypnotherapist as there is no statutory legislation. There are many professional bodies, the APHP, NCH etc, but they are a members body, not a government body.

We provide a fairly unique service in that we utilise very modern methods, and try to be as patient centred as possible, and we are as open as possible in regard to the process. I teach internationally hypnosis and its function along with its correlation to congnitive and neurological functioning.

Hypnosis really doesn't have much to it, its not generally what people believe it is, but there are a lot of practitioners out there that will try to convince you that it is something magically and something you should spend your money on. My advice to patients is always to speak to the practitioner, see if there is a free introduction session, go meet the practitioner, see if you get on with them, enquire about their experience, current CPD training etc. Hypnosis uses suggestability more than anything else and my advice is that you can meet the practitioner half way, and that you can trust them, as in the majority of hypnotherapy cases its more about the therapy, than the hypnosis part, as all the hypnosis does is to confirm your acceptance of taking on suggestion and allowing you to apply a single focus to the task at hand. The therapy component is the strategy to get you through your problem and to facilitate change.

Andrew.