PDA

View Full Version : Enthusiasm for the 2012 Olympics?

Rheghead
22-Aug-08, 19:37
Has the success of Team GB in the Beijing Olympics changed your enthusiasm for the London Olympics 2012? I must admit that seeing Scots winning medals this year has made me looking forward to 2012.

Torvaig
22-Aug-08, 19:52
I think I made my views clear on another thread! ;)

It's disgusting the waste of money. I don't mind the competitions and the cameraderie but as for the fancy frills that go with it....nah...just another case of "my car is bigger than your car" syndrome.

Rheghead
22-Aug-08, 20:00
But next time in 2012, Lord Coe has warned that Beijing will be the last of the big showy Olympics and London 2012 will be a lot more modest which suggests it will be better value for money.:confused

joxville
22-Aug-08, 20:26
But next time in 2012, Lord Coe has warned that Beijing will be the last of the big showy Olympics and London 2012 will be a lot more modest which suggests it will be better value for money.:confused

Nothing in this country will ever be 'value for money' when politics is involved. The way I see it is the tax-payer instead of getting a kicking maybe it'll be toned down to a good slapping.

It will go over-budget as usual.

Julia
22-Aug-08, 20:40
At first glance I misread the title of this thread, I thought it said 'Euthanasia for the 2012 Olympics' [lol]

Bobinovich
22-Aug-08, 20:43
The success of Team GB has given me cause for enthusiasm and has caught me watching a lot more of this Olympics than I had intended. However my fervent hope is that it provides encouragement to myriad youngsters to get off their rears and strive for a medal in 2012 :D.

Saying that I do not relish the prospect of London 2012 - the impending (and no doubt spiralling) financial burden, especially in the cooler economic climate, fills me with some dread :confused

Rheghead
22-Aug-08, 21:13
Nothing in this country will ever be 'value for money' when politics is involved. The way I see it is the tax-payer instead of getting a kicking maybe it'll be toned down to a good slapping.

It will go over-budget as usual.

I think there is a financing problem with things like this and it is not always the fault of the Government. A lot of private contract firms slap up the mark-up on their goods and services for Government-owned ventures, knowing full well that they will get paid out.

I saw it happen all the time in my time at British Shipbuilders, a bolt would cost a quarter of the price to me as a private citizen, compared to what the tax payer had to fork out for a bolt on a submarine.:eek:

Welcomefamily
22-Aug-08, 21:34
Dont England have a number of facilities allready in place? let continue where we left off, it makes a change for the UK to do this well.

Gizmo
22-Aug-08, 23:54
I voted no, i like the idea of the Olympics being hosted in the UK, but this country is nearly on it's knees and the inordinant amount of money that will be spent on the Olympics should be spent elsewhere on mending this broken country.

Bad Manners
23-Aug-08, 09:17
I voted no, i like the idea of the Olympics being hosted in the UK, but this country is nearly on it's knees and the inordinant amount of money that will be spent on the Olympics should be spent elsewhere on mending this broken country.
Gordon Brown has just stated he is willing to inject for funding for the GB team in 2012. following their current sucess. I supose this is just jumping on the band wagon its like backing the favourite when it's only 10 meters short of the post. Sport and politics should not be mixed. the goverment should not use the current statis of team GB to try and gain popularity.
Team GB did well dispite the pitifull support it has recieved for Goverment.
Their success id Due to extreme hard work in their own disiplines and a large team coffer from the lottery fund ( thats you me and all the other gamblers) .Let them have their games let them provide the facilities but stand proud and do a very simple ceromony and save the ridiculus budget for worthwhile causes. Lets lead the way and show it's not all pointless show but just real substance

Welcomefamily
23-Aug-08, 09:29
Why not open it with a Olympics got talent contest with each team providing its own show from its members and it could be done over 12 weeks and the grand final can be the opening cermony with the winning team lighting the torch. If we use telephone voting we can make a bit of money out of it as well to pay the judges.

Lavenderblue2
23-Aug-08, 09:52
I voted 'bring it on’!!

Of course the initial outlay is very high indeed but the games themselves will be a huge boost to the economy.

Be sure, we won't have a Brown government by that time either...

The most important thing is that after our huge success in the present games youngsters all over the UK will be fired with enthusiasm for 2012.

My other point is that in these uncertain times of conflict, threat of recession and who knows what else, we need / nay MUST to be able to look forward with pride to our chance to outshine the 2008 Olympics.

badger
23-Aug-08, 11:54
I would be much happier about every Games if, instead of the Olympic Committee insisting that facilities for athletes cannot be of a reduced standard, they made sure every country that hosts them is left with a lasting legacy for the whole country.

The waste of money in Beijing (the city of my birth) and the suffering of all those who had their homes and businesses demolished made me very angry. As soon as this was seen to be happening, the Chinese govt. should have been threatened with cancellation unless it stopped. Same thing applies to the lack of progress with free speech etc. All political prisoners should have been released, the internet opened up, foreign reporters allowed access anywhere they wanted and foreign media made available to all. This was a huge opportunity to improve the lives of people in China. Instead empty promises were believed and the charade continued.

If the London Olympics does leave a legacy for the area and for sport all over the country that's great. Sadly we frequently hear of local facilities being removed in spite of all the promises.

sprint95m
23-Aug-08, 12:15
I voted yes.

Whether we supported or opposed the choice of location, the 2012 games have been awarded to London to host, so I feel that we as a nation should make the best of this opportunity.

Bad Manners
23-Aug-08, 14:55
If the British? games in 2012 then why can't it be spread round Britian. by all means have a field track in London The Swiming/Diving in scotland Cycling etc in Wales by spliting the events round our Small by other countries standard country It would spread the experience if the events were spread round the country in Three our Four centers it would bring the event closer to all at the moment it is the London olympics it is after all being paid for by ALL of us.

Torvaig
23-Aug-08, 15:07
Good idea Bad Manners! Share the experience and let us all have access to a part of the games and world class tracks etc., for ourselves after it is all over.

If all the money wasted on fireworks or other falderalls was put into building venues in various parts of Britain instead, the British Olympics would surely leave a great legacy to the people.

DeHaviLand
23-Aug-08, 15:08
If the British? games in 2012 then why can't it be spread round Britian. by all means have a field track in London The Swiming/Diving in scotland Cycling etc in Wales by spliting the events round our Small by other countries standard country It would spread the experience if the events were spread round the country in Three our Four centers it would bring the event closer to all at the moment it is the London olympics it is after all being paid for by ALL of us.

It's not the British games tho, its the London games. The organisers have graciously allowed some of the events to be held in other parts of the country. Scotland, for instance, will be hosting some of the football.

Torvaig
23-Aug-08, 15:14
It's not the British games tho, its the London games. The organisers have graciously allowed some of the events to be held in other parts of the country. Scotland, for instance, will be hosting some of the football.

Hey, that's good! And you are right, the Olympics are always called after the city they are hosted in.......

Bad Manners
23-Aug-08, 15:20
When do we put in our bid to hold the olympics in caithness after all we do know how to throw a party, we could split the events between wick and thurso do you think it would help our tourism?

percy toboggan
23-Aug-08, 17:00
I didn't vote because none of the options capture my mood.
I have been gripped by the Olympics...not because we have been successful as a team but because it's been happening. I was cynical beforehand but Nicole Cooke's winning smile early doors swept the cynicism away.

Britain has revised its attitude towards sports over the past decade. Lottery funding has helped enormously and much of it seemes to have been spent well.

I think the timing for 2012 is just right. It might galvanise a couple of generations to get out there and do something...in a way my generation didn't need because we were out there...just messin' about for the most part but we weren't sat indoors watchin' telly and getting plump.

My main worry for the handover is that Britain will project itself as a country few of us can recognise. If there is any hip-hop music or rap I'm afraid my brain will explode. Visions of Routemaster buses,pillar boxes and Leona Lewis singing 'Whole Lotta Love' with Jimmy Page (LedZep) will do nicely though. We need to stress this will be a very different Games. We have enough iconic images of world renown without trying to appear ultra-cool and multi-cultural. The Olympics is coming to one culture...that of the British tax-payer. If it's to be relevant to the rest of Britain then it is no good merely exploiting the London model alone...which seems to be overcrowded and stuffed with all and sundry.

Already Boris Johnson is trying to cut costs and I applaud him for it. Nine billion pounds is quite enough for a runny jumpy fest. I stress I'm more enthused than I was, largely due to the fact that these past two weeks have brought some good news for a change, and have been a divesion from all of our travails...and our wretched summer.

Keep the 2012 on track, and set for a warm welcome by keeping them BRITISH. We need good role models on the publicity posters like Hoy, Danvers, DeGale and Adlington...that young curly haired gymnast too (forget his name) not that O'Hourougoo though I'm afraid, her win will always be tarnished..although she is a strikingly fine specimen, a pleasant lass and an incredible athlete. Nor the kid from the diving board Daley...leave him alone and lay off the pressure.

I'm figuring out what events I can take up to put me in contention at my stage in life.. A medal in moaning is out, but Archery might be within my capabilties. I quite fancy a twang.

2012? Bring them on..within budget, modestly presented (in typical self-effacing British way) and they will be warmly welcomed by a Britain emerging from three years of economic hardship.

2little2late
23-Aug-08, 17:06
I must admit, after all the success of Team GB it has made me more supportive of them. I think in the past they have always seen themselves as also rans and to win any medal was a bonus. The competitiveness they have all shown is beyond my expectations. Let's hope it is a good confidence booster for 2012.

My congratulations go out to all the Scots athletes who have all done the Nation proud. Just hope Scotland can do just as well in the Commonwealth games.

canuck
23-Aug-08, 20:27
I just love the Olympics, where ever they are held. And I really appreciate it when I am living in the same time zone as the host city.

For these past two summer Olympic competitions I have been in Scotland so I haven't had much Canadian coverage other than the occasions when the UK and Canadian teams are competing. It looks like I will still be here for 2012. So I lift my voice loudly in support if for no other reason than the time zone aspect.

Welcomefamily
23-Aug-08, 22:09
If Clive Woodward has his way the London Games should be something quite special, he has had a remarkable career. When he was at Bath he made Bath Rugby club the best in Europe, when he moved to the England job, they became world champions, then he got involved with the Olympics.
He has an amazing ability to bring the best out of people and as he said next time we have to be better, people dont like losing to GB

cuddlepop
24-Aug-08, 19:27
No its an appaling waste of money.

Millions of peoples lives could be improved for the fraction of the money that is and will be spent over that two week period.[disgust]

scotsboy
24-Aug-08, 19:28
I hope the 2012 games are a great success, and also hope that we can put a British football team into the competition.

badger
25-Aug-08, 14:05
I've already said that I think the IOC could have been much firmer with the Chinese govt. over the destruction of homes etc. in Beijing and now hope that those who are being evicted in London's East End will be treated rather better.

I was talking today to someone who lives very near the area and huge changes have been and are taking place - leases not renewed, businesses moved, allotments lost. Much of the old East End will go and although some may think it's an improvement, those who lose their homes, land and premises of many years cannot be recompensed just with money. I hope they are properly compensated but you cannot recreate communities once they are destroyed and the character of the place will be gone for ever.

Is it worth it? I hope so.

brandy
25-Aug-08, 14:14
cant help but read euthansismn everytime i read the title and get a giggle

Angela
25-Aug-08, 14:27
I have a lot of respect and admiration for the athletes who've shown such talent, hard work and dedication in being selected for the Olympics, let alone those who've won one or more medals. However, I do think the feel good factor from team GB doing so well this time around has only provided a distraction from the ills that currently beset the UK.

I doubt very much if the prospect or the reality of the London Olympics will have any lasting effect on the health and fitness of the majority of our young people, and this at a time when the increasing cost of food makes healthy eating more expensive, especially for families. How many folk who've watched the Olympics this time round have been prompted to be more active and actually take part in a sport I wonder? and of those who have, how long will their new found enthusiasm last? :confused

We are a great nation of spectators, aren't we?

I can just see the politicians lining up to use our success for their own particular agendas as well - hence GB (no, that'll be the other GB, our PM!) suggesting a British football team for the London games.

The money could be so much better spent.

spurtle
25-Aug-08, 15:29
Chinese have 1500 bell dancers who are choreographed into amazing patterns and shapes and have a huge human tower, we on the other hand have a bus that turns into a hedge with some interpretive dancers, China must have been so envious.

Rheghead
25-Aug-08, 15:48
Chinese have 1500 bell dancers who are choreographed into amazing patterns and shapes and have a huge human tower, we on the other hand have a bus that turns into a hedge with some interpretive dancers, China must have been so envious.

Quite right, we get what we deserve with 'Dream number not entered'[smirk]

Julia
25-Aug-08, 16:04
The Chinese performers were probably too terrified to make a mistake!

badger
25-Aug-08, 16:08
The Chinese performers were probably too terrified to make a mistake!

Quite right. We will never have people performing all those set pieces so perfectly because we don't bully them into submission. Perfection is always the aim (or should be) but not at that price. Wonder what's happening to all those Chinese athletes who didn't win medals right now?

teenybash
25-Aug-08, 16:12
Though pleased for all who attained their dream of an Olympic medal, I couldn't get enthusiasm going, knowing what the Chinese Government had destroyed to achieve their fascade of perfection....?:confused

Bad Manners
25-Aug-08, 16:25
The olympics should be for those taking part and the spectators who watch them achieve greatness. A better idea would be to create a disposable olyimpics. By all means create the various facilities to hols the sports but make them modular so they could be reused somewhere else as for the offices,accomidation etc these could be portable buildings(Portacabins) again that can be reused or as a world guesture could be donated to the third world countries that need accomadation after floods or other problems in this way not only could we hold the games with great ease it would highlight the plight of others not as well off and maybee generate a policy of world caring.

Dreamweaver
25-Aug-08, 16:38
It should be held in Greece every time, with all other countries making a financial contribution. Its mad spending all that money on stadiums, etc that will be barely used again.

Melancholy Man
25-Aug-08, 20:45
Bring it on! For Queen, for Country, for Kicks.

My main worry for the handover is that Britain will project itself as a country few of us can recognise. If there is any hip-hop music or rap I'm afraid my brain will explode.

Yes, my good squire, I am in full agreement. My good lady wife is at present residing with her dear sister in the adjacent parish and I am making communication by way of handnote relayed by servant, as I do not hold with the new fangled speaking telegraph. We believe there are by far too many nabobs in the country, bringing with them strange ideas heard of in the East, and if I see another Huguenot or hear the disharmonious tones of Mr. Haydn, I fear my head shall explode.

MadPict
25-Aug-08, 22:52
The London olympics will be a flop compared to Beijing - £22 billion was spent on this event. Thousands of homes were flattened and families made homeless. The might of the Chinese government was imposed on the people to ensure they looked good to the rest of the world.

The results for Team GB are something to be applauded but the bar has been set so high by China that London will look like some village fete.

And we have to endure that god awful logo for the next four years...
Every time I see it, the image of Lisa Simpson doing something rude comes to mind...

Melancholy Man
25-Aug-08, 23:01
I assume it ain't this (http://www.mukamo.com/goatse-2012-olympics-logo/) logo you're on about, Mad.

TBH
25-Aug-08, 23:03
Has the success of Team GB in the Beijing Olympics changed your enthusiasm for the London Olympics 2012? I must admit that seeing Scots winning medals this year has made me looking forward to 2012.Why team GB, why not just Great Britain?

TBH
25-Aug-08, 23:06
If the British? games in 2012 then why can't it be spread round Britian. by all means have a field track in London The Swiming/Diving in scotland Cycling etc in Wales by spliting the events round our Small by other countries standard country It would spread the experience if the events were spread round the country in Three our Four centers it would bring the event closer to all at the moment it is the London olympics it is after all being paid for by ALL of us.Precisely, use the whole of Britain not just one city. Good post.

Melancholy Man
25-Aug-08, 23:28
Why team GB, why not just Great Britain?

I suspect it's to do with inclusion of Norn Ireland, which emphatically is not part of Great Britain (and where residents also hold Irish citizenship, can compete there).

TBH
25-Aug-08, 23:31
I suspect it's to do with inclusion of Norn Ireland, which emphatically is not part of Great Britain.
I know, that's a fact, but do you think that's the real reason? Team GB featuring NI would be better though.
I think 'they' are just tying to sound funky, hip, cool.

Melancholy Man
25-Aug-08, 23:38
Did Bojo not say Great Britain, and immediately correct himself?

wifie
25-Aug-08, 23:38
I know, that's a fact, but do you think that's the real reason? Team GB featuring NI would be better though.
I think 'they' are just tying to sound funky, hip, cool.

I agree TBH - don't think any other country gave themselves a fancy name - were proud enough to be themselves! Mind you wi this mish mash country we live in - little wonder we canna decide on a name! Always seem to be trippin over ourselves trying to do the right thing - whatever that is!

MadPict
25-Aug-08, 23:44
Think it is meant to mean Team Gordon Brown...

TBH
25-Aug-08, 23:45
Did Bojo not say Great Britain, and immediately correct himself?Bojo or Bono? If it was Bono then that speaks volumes.

Oddquine
25-Aug-08, 23:58
I hope the 2012 games are a great success, and also hope that we can put a British football team into the competition.

No chance, scotsboy..for the same reasons that there hasn't been a GB team since the 1960's.

Blatter issues Olympic warning
http://sport.scotsman.com/londonolympics2012/Blatter-issues-Olympic-warning.3859440.jp

SEPP Blatter, the Fifa president, has conceded for the first time that a unified British team at the 2012 Olympic Games could jeopardise the historic independence of the four home nations in major international football competition.

"Looking at the situation of 2012, I have had a discussion with the Scottish FA leadership and they have said they would not play in a combined team. I said that is the best thing for them to do.

more in the article.

I'd much rather have a Scotland team in the World Cup and playing international friendlies etc than a GB team cobbled together for the a couple of games in the Olympics every four years...............and as a result a GB team to cheer on in International competitions. And I'm prepared to bet the other three home nations feel the same.

Given that much of England thinks England=GB anyway...an England team would suffice, wouldn't it?

In fact it may well be the only time an England team is supported by the vast majority of Scots!

But I voted that I think it is a waste of money in a country which appears to have its spending priorities wrong.........................and I'll quite happily recant that opinion if the UK (not the GB) Government doesn't have to pump big bucks into saving face...........but I think they will, if the new Wembley is anything to go by.

Melancholy Man
26-Aug-08, 09:37
Boris Johnson, TBH.

A GB football team be as inappropriate as football, or any such team sport being an Olympian event Then again, I have to wonder how many steps along that thousand step journey Salmond is now: "go home", Brown. Where is his home, mate? Kirkcaldy?

You were getting there when you said the Glasgow Airport bombers were not from Scotland, you're getting closer.

Self-hating Scot (http://news.scotsman.com/latestnews/Chris-Hoy-Scottish-team-in.4422493.jp). Mmmm, goose, bet it has lots of eggs inside.

hotrod4
26-Aug-08, 17:31
????????????????????????????????

percy toboggan
26-Aug-08, 20:12
I have so much to say on this subject but too little time to do it justice.
I know Melancholic Man will be disappointed but I'll try and fit it in later in the week.

Melancholy Man
26-Aug-08, 21:57
Yeah, Hotrod, that thread was terrifying.