PDA

View Full Version : new york

denise
20-Aug-08, 21:24
there is 4 of us going to new york at the end of november & we are stuggling on where to stay. any orgers. out there been and got any advise on where to stay or not to stay.

crashbandicoot1979
20-Aug-08, 21:34
New York is ridiculously expensive for accommodation, the cheapest place we found was the big apple hostel on west 45th street. A private room with a double bed worked out about £60 per night but it is cheaper if you are happy to stay in a dorm. The place is basic but clean (not en suite I might add but there was never any queues for the bathroom). The staff are really nice and helpful and the location is brilliant - literally off Times Square so you're right in the middle of things. It wasn't too noisy at night and theres a fantastic deli next door for breakfast in the mornings. Would highly recommend it - we'll be going back to new york in the future and will stay there again.

scotsboy
20-Aug-08, 21:34
Depends on what you want to pay. New York is expensive for hotels, if it is your first time there I would suggest going for a mid-range small hotel, as you are not going to be in it much, as there is such a lot to see and do. Last time I was there I stayed near Times Square (W47TH Street I think), cant recall the name of the hotel, but it was nothing special, but comfortable, clean, and secure.

scotsboy
20-Aug-08, 21:37
This is the place I stayed:

http://www.virtualtourist.com/hotels/North_America/United_States_of_America/New_York_State/New_York_City-841252/Hotels_and_Accommodations-New_York_City-Quality_Hotel_Times_Square_157_W_47th_St-BR-1.html

Anne x
20-Aug-08, 22:50
there is 4 of us going to new york at the end of november & we are stuggling on where to stay. any orgers. out there been and got any advise on where to stay or not to stay.

Better take your thermals when I was there in Nov baltic

Moby
20-Aug-08, 23:01
We stayed here
http://www.affinia.com/New-York-City-Hotel.aspx?name=Affinia-Manhattan
Reasonably priced (included in our total package inc flights)
Really central for everything - just accross the road from Madison Square Gardens, round the corner from the Empire State and down from Macy's.

Would definately go back.

Tip though - even if you are on a high floor the noise from the constant beeping traffic funnels up through the buildings - pack ear plugs for night time!

superted
22-Aug-08, 13:56
i'd recomend to stay near times square, I stayed there last time in a think was a comfort inn, in Dec and it only cost 60 pound a night....

_Ju_
22-Aug-08, 14:26
Try ryan air cheap hotels:

for example: http://uk.wwte4.com/pub/agent.dll?itty=&itid=&itdx=&fpri=1&aasl=&olacid=&olacid=new%20york

denise
22-Aug-08, 16:33
after trawling the internet we are no further forward (apart from 2 in long isalnd)
i think it's getting to the stage that we will just pick a name out a hat.
we did get a good deal on the flights £387 return for non-stop flights which is a bargain we think.

Rheghead
22-Aug-08, 16:51
I stopped in the Metro Hotel on W 35th st, it is a lovely art-deco building near to the Empire state building. It was clean and well situated for all parts of NY, and cheap. Only continental breakfast though but of little imortance as there are thousands of breakfast bars nearby. They have a website if you google.

Sporran
23-Aug-08, 05:11
Our sons went to New York city for a few days, this past March. They stayed in the "Jazz on the Park Hostel", which is conveniently located in Upper West Side, along Central Park and near subways and buses. They said it was reasonably priced and clean, and they would go there again. They stayed in a dorm room, but private rooms are available also. There are actually five Jazz Hostels in NYC (as well as one in Miami, and one in Montreal, Canada.) Below is the link to their website. The rates can be viewed in pounds and other currencies, as well as in dollars. Please note that sales tax is not included in the listed price. You have to add an additional 13.375% to get your total cost.

http://www.jazzhostels.com/jazzonthepark.php

highlandlassie
24-Aug-08, 13:43
I went last November with my husband, brother and sister in law. My brother is up to all the deals and phoned the Westin Hotel in Time Square and asked if they had any offers on and she came back after one minute on the phone with a much lower amount per night than was on the internet. The hotel was luxury and we would certainly go back to the Westin. If you are going to the larger shops you can get your tax back if you show your passport. Sometimes you have to go to customer services first to apply.

teddybear1873
25-Aug-08, 01:07
Try www.hotwire.com

They were very cheap. I paid approx £40 per night in a 5 star hotel in downtown Toronto.

Good luck.

rich
25-Aug-08, 14:34
Why not try a bed and breakfast place?

http://www.citylightsnewyork.com/?gclid=CJye-c-MqZUCFR-uQAodFS4mkw

hails4
25-Aug-08, 17:31
been twice, first time we stayed at Hotel Pennslavania (sp!) that was just across the road from madison square garden. This hotel was cheap but got what you paid for.

2nd time at downtown Club Quarters which was about 100 yards away from Wall Street landmark! This hotel however was more expensive and we stayed in the executive suite got our own kitchen, 2 flat screen tellies with cable! well worth the look imo.

26-Aug-08, 17:37
Stayed in the Holiday Inn midtown. It was on 57th West Street so was very central and quite reasonable