PDA

View Full Version : Britain’s Youngest Terrorist

Donnie
20-Aug-08, 08:53
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/justice/article1576468.ece

I find this story extremely unsettling. I mean it says he's going down for "making a record of information likely to be useful in terrorism." What the... does that mean? It says he downloaded instructions for creating Napalm... I think every male from my generation had a copy of the Anarchists Cookbook at one time or another.

Seems to me this was just some stupid naive kid who is being sent down using laws that didn't exist 5 years ago. The Anti Terrorism Act is a bit of a wild card. I wonder if this kid would even have been arrested if he wasn't a Muslim.

hotrod4
20-Aug-08, 11:23

I find this story extremely unsettling. I mean it says he's going down for "making a record of information likely to be useful in terrorism." What the... does that mean? It says he downloaded instructions for creating Napalm... I think every male from my generation had a copy of the Anarchists Cookbook at one time or another.

Seems to me this was just some stupid naive kid who is being sent down using laws that didn't exist 5 years ago. The Anti Terrorism Act is a bit of a wild card. I wonder if this kid would even have been arrested if he wasn't a Muslim.

Have to disagree with you there. Many moons ago when the troubles were rife in Ulster people were imprisoned etc for giving information and having information on how to use fertiliser to make bombs. Its just because nowadays everyone has access to the internet and there are so many websites where info about terrorism is freely available that its easier to now get a prosecution. I am sure if the internet was around back in the day lots of Irish terrorists would have been convicted of the same thing.

He also had a dossier of info on the royal family etc, he had his own extremist website and was in contact with known terrorists. I guess its like the old saying "if you fly with the crows you get shot with them".
And I do think he would have been arrested if he wasnt a muslim.

Donnie
20-Aug-08, 11:47
What exactly is an "extremist website". He wasn't charged with inciting racial hatred so I would be very sceptical about how extremist the website actualy was. The article didnt say he had any information regarding the royals (not that that is even a crime!!!). That part referred to one of the other people arrested.

A criminal through association? To me this is absolutely absurd. He was 15 when he was arrested. To me he seems like just a naive child. I seriously hope this child's life isnt wasted with a custodial sentence. I can't see how 10 years in prison is the answer for someone who just seems very confused.

hotrod4
20-Aug-08, 20:41
What exactly is an "extremist website". He wasn't charged with inciting racial hatred so I would be very sceptical about how extremist the website actualy was. The article didnt say he had any information regarding the royals (not that that is even a crime!!!). That part referred to one of the other people arrested.

A criminal through association? To me this is absolutely absurd. He was 15 when he was arrested. To me he seems like just a naive child. I seriously hope this child's life isnt wasted with a custodial sentence. I can't see how 10 years in prison is the answer for someone who just seems very confused.

I can see your point (Honestly!) but it just seems to be the way of the world now, we cant take any chances with security or we have another 7/7. A few years ago it would seem absurd to arrest him but now better safe than sorry, but I see what you mean.

Melancholy Man
22-Aug-08, 18:58
In fact, Brendan Behan was also 16 when he was convicted of gun-running for the IRA.

I wonder if this kid would even have been arrested if he wasn't a Muslim.Yes (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7473060.stm). The simple reason that most convictions are of Muslims is that because most of the plotters of the past few years have been Muslims. Twenty years ago it was Irish, it's the way things go.

You are not doing British Muslims, as a whole, any favours by denying these scumbags exist. I have argued long and hard on this forum against lumping all Muslims with them, but I am under no illusion what they would do here (and have done with eye-popping barbarity abroad).

Jihadis are my enemy, and the only "respect" they're owed comes with several dozen heavily armed police. My abiding image of them is the 21/7 mob, in their underpants, pleading for their lives.

I think every male from my generation had a copy of the Anarchists Cookbook at one time or another. Like Ted Kaczynski? If any others had shown a desire to follow the instructions and apply the results, I'd have hoped they'd been arrested.

I can't see how 10 years in prison is the answer for someone who just seems very confused. It may teach others that playing with jihadi literature and contacts ain't a computer game, and that there are repurcussions.

I haven't had to chance to look through this case, but it's reasonable to assume there was something more than a few computer files as you're suggesting. A large number of cranks have been investigated for possession, but investigations progressing to this stage are barely in double figures.

Furthermore, reporting may well be restricted on certain elements because of related investigations. This indeed happened immediately following the conviction of Samina Malik (I refuse to call the stupid little child by the moniker she choose), when the voices which immediately called her a harmless goth-like character went *very* quiet when restrictions were lifted on Sohail Qureshi's case.

Up to April 1999, the likes of David Copeland was thought of as a highly confused young man. Okay, so he had a fixation with Nazism and actively sought association with highly violent individuals and horded weapons, but he wasn't a threat to life and limb.

northener
22-Aug-08, 19:35
We live in dangerous times....

But, when I were a lad, (1970's) we were mad keen on collecting any ex-military works on weapons, tactics and resistance. By th age of 14 we were making our own bombs out of Sodium Chlorate weedkiller and blowing uo anything that took our fancy:eek:.

I don't think that even at the height of the 'troubles' in NI we would have been viewed as apprentice terrorists. Unfortunately, the world has moved on - with the coming of the Interweb, thousands of inquisitive kids such as me can access files to their hearts content.

All it needs is a 1% 'serious intention' rate and, suddenly, you've got a big security problem. Only by cracking down hard on those perceived as a serious threat will the rest be deterred from involvement.
That means restricting what one can and cannot access on the internet as well as through other media outlets....sad, but true.

Just to show how online info can lead to problems and accusations - read the following that I cut and pasted off another site (edited by me for brevity). Imagine too, that it has been found on a file residing on the computer of a 16 year old Afghan living in Glasgow.........

Hashish hashin, hashish hashin
Hashishin

Black September, Black September
Black September

Death unto all infidels in oil.
Guide us o thou genie of the smoke.
Lead us to a thousand and one nights.
In the perfumed gardens of delights

Petro dollar, petro dollar
Petro dollar, petro dollar
Petrol d'Allah, petrol d'Allah
Petrol d'Allah

Hashish hashin,.......

In the perfumed garden of
In the perfumed garden of delights

It is written
It is written
It is written
It is written
It is written
In the soul of the desert
It is written
In signs in the stars
It is written
In the sands of the hour-glass
It is written
It is written
In the eye of the falcon
It is written
In the shade of the scorpion
It is written
In the wealth of the sun
It is written
It is written
Man's truth is a mirage
It is written
That death's an oasis
It is written
For all unbelievers
It is written
It is written
It is written
It is written
It is written
It is written
It is written
It is written
It is written
It is written

Hashish hashin....

In the perfumed garden of delights

Pretty radical Islamic stuff eh?

It's the lyrics' from Hawkwinds song "Hassan I Sahba" from 1977........

It's all down to interpretation.

Melancholy Man
22-Aug-08, 19:54
Again, Northerner, if you'd considered using your week-killer bombs to damage property, I'd have expected an investigation from the rozzers. If there were a suggestion of your planning or assisting in wider activities, I'd have expected intense interest from MI5. Depending on your proclivities, this may have been [hard left] the Provos (as members of the SWP did) or Baader Meinhopf or [hard right, which that house-cat Percy Toboggan would never have any time for] the NF. Maybe you'd have been a nihilist or anarchist, but that was decades out of date.

Current jihadism appeals to violent young men in the same way that neo-nazis did in the 1990s. If I were going to advocate any sort of racial profiling, it'd be recent young male converts who've been disproportionately represented in investigations and convictions.

This is one conviction out of thousands of investigations and hundreds of arrests. I can tell you, a large number of investigations are still going through the courts, some of which may be inter-related.

As with Samina Malik.

Welcomefamily
22-Aug-08, 21:48
Confused young men can be very dangerous, you have only got to look at the stats for gun and knife crime down south.