PDA

View Full Version : Teeth braces

Fran
20-Aug-08, 02:22
I was shocked to learn that children who need braces on their teeth have to travel to Edinburgh or aberdeen. The reason for this is that there is no dentist qualified in Caithness to fit childrens braces. I find this hard to beleive when we have dentists and a dental hospital in wick.
Have many parents had problems with this?

flyfifer
20-Aug-08, 08:12
Who told you that? My daughter was referred by our Dentist to Orthodontist at CGH who referred her back to Dentist who fitted her brace and did a good job. The treatment took over a year.

joxville
20-Aug-08, 09:23
Who told you that? My daughter was referred by our Dentist to Orthodontist at CGH who referred her back to Dentist who fitted her brace and did a good job. The treatment took over a year.

A year to fit a brace! [lol]

COACHMAN
20-Aug-08, 13:17
I was shocked to learn that children who need braces on their teeth have to travel to Edinburgh or aberdeen. The reason for this is that there is no dentist qualified in Caithness to fit childrens braces. I find this hard to beleive when we have dentists and a dental hospital in wick.
Have many parents had problems with this?

These facts are Rubbish and Unfounded the LOCAL dentists can do this treatment here in Caithness.
Where is your Source of such wrong Information?

Blondie
20-Aug-08, 13:29
Which one of the local dentists is also an orthodontist then coachman?

Stargazer
20-Aug-08, 20:10
These facts are Rubbish and Unfounded the LOCAL dentists can do this treatment here in Caithness.

The Orthodentist my kids were seeing at CGH retired two years ago and,as far as I know has never been replaced, we are now on a "waiting list". If you know a Caithness dentist that does braces and orthodental treatment, then name them please.

dook
20-Aug-08, 20:15
Which one of the local dentists is also an orthodontist then coachman?

I didn't know any of them enjoyed bird watching?

COACHMAN
20-Aug-08, 21:50
He is based in CGH but travels up from Inverness every month

DeHaviLand
20-Aug-08, 22:37

I simply dont believe this. I'm gonna wait till Big A comes along and gives us the truth.

pat
20-Aug-08, 23:05
Coachman -

He is based in CGH but travels up from Inverness every month

your above comments confuse me - you say local dentists then say he travels up from Inverness every month. I do not consider a dentist or orthodontist local if he travels up once a month, that is barely a service and if Stargazer has been waiting the length of time stated I do not consider this a service at all..

Anne x
20-Aug-08, 23:25
I canna understand this at all I had braces years ago in Sutherland so surely Dentists can do this treatment now locally

Venture
20-Aug-08, 23:46
It's a couple of years now since my son had a brace fitted but he was referred to the orthodontist from Inverness, who has a monthly clinic in the CGH, by the school dentist Mr Nicol. We had to wait about 8 weeks for an appointment. When it was decided that he needed a brace, all the impressions, fittings and after care were carried out by Mr Nicol, who I might add is an absolutely brilliant dentist. The only thing the orthodonist did was take an x-ray and agree with Mr Nicol's opinion that a brace was needed.

taylor.4
21-Aug-08, 00:40
The Orthodentist my kids were seeing at CGH retired two years ago and,as far as I know has never been replaced, we are now on a "waiting list". If you know a Caithness dentist that does braces and orthodental treatment, then name them please. My daughter has a brace fitted at the moment, it was fitted by an orthodontist at CGH who travels up from inverness as it's usually either a saturday or sunday that her appointments are.

Fran
21-Aug-08, 02:30

My friend in Caithness has to take her daughter to Edinburgh for her braces treatment, and another mother i know takes her daughter to aberdeen. I can assure you they would rather get treatment in caithness than drive all that distance, so if they could - they would.
Nice to see you back coachman, its a while since you have had a go at me on here!

Thank you all for your replies, I will certainly investigate, It seems a shame if my friends are travelling all that way if it can be done here or Inverness.

Thumper
22-Aug-08, 14:32
My son needs braces and he was seen in Raigmore on a Sunday,he now has to wait a year before he will have them fitted,not sure if that will be another trip down to raigmore,but its more than likely!While we were there we met at least 4 other families from caithness that were down seeing the orthodontist! x

Penelope Pitstop
25-Aug-08, 14:52
My eldest daughter has braces. They were fitted by an orthodontist who came up to CGH not a local dentist. She travels down to Inverness to get them adjusted.

Unfortunately there are very few orthodontists left at Inverness. I believe that the ones that come up on weekends to CGH are draughted in from all over (hence only having weekends free to take on more appointments) - not just Inverness.

My youngest daughter has been on the waiting list to be assessed by the orthodontist for 18 months. She seen him 2 months ago in Inverness and we were told that the waiting list is 4 years for treatment :( If she's lucky she'll have them fitted by the time she's 19!!!