PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone else noticed?

Bad Manners
19-Aug-08, 12:36
I have just come home from the weekly shop and have noticed that several of the items we normally buy have decreased in size. several of the packs have reduced from 500grams to 410grams but the price is the same. Is this price raising through the back door?

cd1977
19-Aug-08, 12:57
Basically, yes you are correct.

This is currently happening across a range of products. Another "trick" by the supermarkets to dupe their customers. Look out for claims that "prices will not rise" by these scheisters in the near future.

Nibbler
19-Aug-08, 13:01
Have noticed Discontinued on a lot of popular products in the supermarkets and what the companies are doing is discontinuing with their current size/weight of product and putting the product back on the shelves at the same price (or slightly higher) but less in it.

Great, isn't it. Pay more for less. Lots of things are going that way. Saying that, my dad the other day had to put new tyres on the car and commented that the price was actually cheaper than a couple of years back. Yes, my dad can get his tyres to last that long :lol:

What are they going to come up with next to get more money out of us!!

Bad Manners
19-Aug-08, 13:08
When ny car had to go for it's First service it had only done 8000 miles and it needed a new set of front tyres when i asked why as I drive well and do not abuse my car.I was told thats about what milage they do now and that it is normal. With all the new high tech systems you would thing we could get tyres to last as long as they used to.

Fluff
19-Aug-08, 13:16
cosmetic companies are bad for this too. I know of one well known make up brand that put weights in the bottom of their products but make the amount of product less. This is not a cheap brand either!

stekar
19-Aug-08, 13:45
Noticed my choccie bars are getting smaller.....unfortunately I'm not though, lol

Bottled beer cases are getting smaller too, used to get 24, now it is 20.

teenybash
19-Aug-08, 13:55
Underhand, backdoor price rises...........Joe Public as usual will foot the bill in keeping private company profits high...............[disgust]

Bad Manners
19-Aug-08, 15:13
Noticed my choccie bars are getting smaller.....unfortunately I'm not though, lol

Bottled beer cases are getting smaller too, used to get 24, now it is 20.
I wish you hadn't said that I forgot to get Chocolate Oh Damm will it make me smaller if I dont eat it?

scorrie
19-Aug-08, 15:38
I notice that the Coop are now selling eggs in 10's instead of by the dozen. Never mind a Baker's Dozen, that is a Taker's Dozen!!

karia
19-Aug-08, 16:46
I notice that the Coop are now selling eggs in 10's instead of by the dozen. Never mind a Baker's Dozen, that is a Taker's Dozen!!

Morrisons today....boxes of 4 eggs 50p!

Whoever heard of a box of 4 eggs?:roll:

Bad Manners
19-Aug-08, 16:52

That will be the non standard metric system then. or do they only have four hens

Angela
19-Aug-08, 16:55

Alldays have been selling them for years, Karia. They'll go nicely with the pack of 4 bacon rashers Asda is now selling......:roll:

Whitewater
19-Aug-08, 23:06
When ny car had to go for it's First service it had only done 8000 miles and it needed a new set of front tyres when i asked why as I drive well and do not abuse my car.I was told thats about what milage they do now and that it is normal. With all the new high tech systems you would thing we could get tyres to last as long as they used to.

This is fairly normal now. There are wear bars in the tread and when the wear reaches them it is time for renewal. The greatest cause of tyre wear however is power steering. In tight situations we turn the steering column very easily when the car is not in motion, that has the same effect as rubbing them with very rough sandpaper. Tyre pressure also plays a big part, too high and they wear in the centre, too low and the edges get scrubbed.

George Brims
20-Aug-08, 07:52

If it is a front wheel drive car, then either you drive harder than you think, or the wheel alignment was off. The latter can happen from hitting a pothole or the like, assuming it was right when you bought it.

They sell tyres with 60k and 80k mile guarantees nowadays so 8k is ridiculous.

(Confession: I wore the back tyres off a new car in 10k miles. And I know exactly how I did it!)

northener
20-Aug-08, 08:20
Yu[p, tyre pressures only have to be a couple of pounds out to make a big difference to how they wear.

I'd expect about 15k off my front tyres (1.8 CDTi) and that's with a lot of stop/starting around town. I used to get about the same out of Corsa 1.3 CDTi's.

bekisman
20-Aug-08, 08:23
Volvo 2.4 V70 estate, front wheel drive: just changed with Caithness Tyres; 12,000 miles (aint bad?)

Bad Manners
20-Aug-08, 09:27
If it is a front wheel drive car, then either you drive harder than you think, or the wheel alignment was off. The latter can happen from hitting a pothole or the like, assuming it was right when you bought it.

They sell tyres with 60k and 80k mile guarantees nowadays so 8k is ridiculous.

(Confession: I wore the back tyres off a new car in 10k miles. And I know exactly how I did it!)
Hi my car is front wheel drive but where we live in rural caithness I must admit the roads are rougher than in a town and we certainly have pot holes. Iv'e just completed 18000 and the back tyres have been replaced.
they put it down to the make of car being perticularly hard on tyres (FORD FOCUS) and that the milage achived was good however it was recommended to change the make of tyre we now have Perelli tyres we will see how long they last.

joxville
20-Aug-08, 09:42
Most of my cars have been run on Goodyear, Pirelli or Continental. The Rover I run at present is on Goodyears, on another Rover owners recommendation. Jaguar recommended Pirelli for the XJ8 I owned and I only got 9,000 miles out of them-at £150 each! I switched to Continental and got 15,000 miles out of them for similar price.

So why do manufacturer's recommend a particular brand? They may put it down to safety and saying a certain tyre suits that car but modern tyres are certainly a lot better than 20 or 30 years ago.

Methinks the car manufacturer's probably have shares in tyre companies.

Bad Manners
20-Aug-08, 09:46
Most of my cars have been run on Goodyear, Pirelli or Continental. The Rover I run at present is on Goodyears, on another Rover owners recommendation. Jaguar recommended Pirelli for the XJ8 I owned and I only got 9,000 miles out of them-at £150 each! I switched to Continental and got 15,000 miles out of them for similar price.

So why do manufacturer's recommend a particular brand? They may put it down to safety and saying a certain tyre suits that car but modern tyres are certainly a lot better than 20 or 30 years ago.

Methinks the car manufacturer's probably have shares in tyre companies.
I tend to agree with the new technoligy they could inprove the life span of tyres however would it be in the own interest. tyres are probably a lot safer now but as usual the motorist pays the price

bekisman
20-Aug-08, 10:09
and.. just noticed that packs of 'Danepak thick cut unsmoked back bacon rashers' were 6 rashers @ 220g but are now 5 rashers @ 200g.. same price. hmm

Angela
20-Aug-08, 10:33
In a way smaller pack sizes suit me as I live on my own and don't entertain all that much -bigger packs of fresh foods mean I either eat more than I need, or end up throwing food away. Not so good for folk with a family to feed however.

Yesterday those staples from Tesco, 500g penne pasta and 198g tuna steaks in oil, cost me 78p and 98p respectively ...a year ago they would have been half that, if not less.:(

Maybe we need to have a new 'Pricewatch' forum....where we can post news about bargains and ways of surviving tough times.... :confused

badger
20-Aug-08, 10:47
I've learnt now to head for the reduced section in Tesco first as I used to just pick up what I needed then see the same thing reduced elsewhere and have to replace the first one. I totally ignore sellby dates for myself, although am more careful with the grandchildren. Meat, bread and other things can be frozen, anything else can be eaten unless it smells horrible or is covered in mould.

Most sellby periods are far too short and just designed to make people think they should throw perfectly good food away. How long will it be before more of us become fregans and make our first selections from the bins at the back? Haven't investigated Tesco yet but I can see it coming.

It's also shocking what household goods get thrown away. A friend of mine was saying she had seen stuff on the tip that was too good to give to Homeaid. Not that anything is really too good for them but you just wonder why people get rid of perfectly good stuff. Maybe we should start having a day a week when you can put what you don't want out on the pavement for anyone to pick up, so long as you can take back what's uncollected at the end of the day. It works in big towns. I still have a very pretty little cupboard I got off a skip in Mayfair :)

Bad Manners
20-Aug-08, 12:32
I've learnt now to head for the reduced section in Tesco first as I used to just pick up what I needed then see the same thing reduced elsewhere and have to replace the first one. I totally ignore sellby dates for myself, although am more careful with the grandchildren. Meat, bread and other things can be frozen, anything else can be eaten unless it smells horrible or is covered in mould.

Most sellby periods are far too short and just designed to make people think they should throw perfectly good food away. How long will it be before more of us become fregans and make our first selections from the bins at the back? Haven't investigated Tesco yet but I can see it coming.

It's also shocking what household goods get thrown away. A friend of mine was saying she had seen stuff on the tip that was too good to give to Homeaid. Not that anything is really too good for them but you just wonder why people get rid of perfectly good stuff. Maybe we should start having a day a week when you can put what you don't want out on the pavement for anyone to pick up, so long as you can take back what's uncollected at the end of the day. It works in big towns. I still have a very pretty little cupboard I got off a skip in Mayfair :)
Just a thought does anyone make and mend these days? If a seam goes on a piece of clothing do you mend or throw away I know of some people to throw away a perfectly good item just because to button came off.
or am just a skinflint that wont throw anything till it's completely done?