PDA

View Full Version : Industrial Action

Electric blue
18-Aug-08, 18:48
[evil] While I agree that the Union members have the right to take industrial action, I question The Authorities right to tell me My child alone (at our school) can not go to school on Wednesday. As usually he/she has a teaching assistant with him/her, yet they said at the end of last year they would be reducing his/her dependence on his/her support.

If we were to keep him/her at home it would be classed as truancy and the government can take me to court. Yet they can tell us to keep him/her at home even though I work and have had to call round today trying to sort out extra childcare at a cost to me or do I send the bill to the local council.[disgust]:(

So does this mean that should I need to take my holidays later this year within school time I don't need permission.

changilass
18-Aug-08, 18:54
It means that whilst the government want to interfere and lay down various laws at the end of the day its your child and you have to deal with it when they can't or won't

theone
19-Aug-08, 02:21
If your child has special needs that can't be managed due to strike action then yes, your child should not be at school.

Moby
19-Aug-08, 07:54
......Yet they can tell us to keep him/her at home even though I work and have had to call round today trying to sort out extra childcare.

Yes it's a pain, there are lots of us in the same postition if the schools close on Wednesday but to be honest it was our choice to have kids and our choice to return to work therefore the ultimate responsibility is ours.

The unions have called the Ancillary staff out on strike because of a failure to secure an adequate pay deal round the table. These people, including you child's classroom assistant, do a fantastic job and their rate of pay does not reflect the level of work they do.

I fully support and wish them the best of luck with their industrial action on Wednesday.

cuddlepop
19-Aug-08, 11:55
If the auxillarys were payed a decent wage for the job they do then there would be know need to go on strike.
This is probably going to be the first of many I fear as the Council have no more money to offer.:(

It will be very upsetting for the children with special needs but hay when is anything easy for us.:roll:

balto
19-Aug-08, 13:59
thts mount pleasant shut aswell, on wednesday the 20th, also what i want to know is as we get our bins emptyed on a wednesday, wiill they allow us to put black bags out the following week, there is 5 of us in our house so noway all the rubbish will get in the bin, which is full already.

footie chick
19-Aug-08, 14:28
thts mount pleasant shut aswell, on wednesday the 20th, also what i want to know is as we get our bins emptyed on a wednesday, wiill they allow us to put black bags out the following week, there is 5 of us in our house so noway all the rubbish will get in the bin, which is full already.

We got another wheelie bin because there was 5 or more in our house. Ask the council they gave me a pretty basic form to fill in and we got another bin in no time.
Don't use it so much now what with no nappies and recycling. :D

balto
19-Aug-08, 14:34
We got another wheelie bin because there was 5 or more in our house. Ask the council they gave me a pretty basic form to fill in and we got another bin in no time.
Don't use it so much now what with no nappies and recycling. :Doh thanks for that, i was told it was 6 but will get in touch with the council on thursday, there will be 6 of us in december as we have another baby due

telfordstar
19-Aug-08, 14:40
Don't use it so much now what with no nappies and recycling. :D
Im going to give them a ring as well theres 5 of us in the house and i find myself sneaking out on morning of bins to see who else has room in there bins that i can sneak my rubbish into. Bad i know but has to be done.

balto
19-Aug-08, 15:50
it appears that the swimming pools in wick and thurso, are closed tomorrow the 20th aswell, anyone else know for definate, as my daughter has ment to have squads tomorrow night.

balto
19-Aug-08, 15:56
just phoned the council to enquire bout an extra bin, only to be told there needs to be 6 of us in our house, also asked her, if the bin men would collect any extra blck bags next week, onlt to be told no because that would defeat the purpose, it seems a bit unfair that the public have to suffer.

Julia
19-Aug-08, 16:05
Pulteneytown Academy will be closed tomorrow over lunchtime, there will be no lunches being served or staff available to supervise children on pack lunches.

At least my one can come home but it must be a real pain if you work full-time.

sjj278
19-Aug-08, 16:18
just phoned the council to enquire bout an extra bin, only to be told there needs to be 6 of us in our house, also asked her, if the bin men would collect any extra blck bags next week, onlt to be told no because that would defeat the purpose, it seems a bit unfair that the public have to suffer.

I agree, i also get my bin collected on a wednesday, and i usually have a full bin even with all the recycling i do, so i shall have to do trips to janetstown to get rid of my own waste, so in theory we should be able to claim back a days council tax!! since i'm not actually recieving the services that are being paid for!! but hey i know it will never happen!

ocd
19-Aug-08, 18:48

Would have thought that is the whole point of the strike.. if no-one is affected what would be the point??

Please bear in mind that it is these underpaid workers who carry out public services all year round on a pathetically poor wage.

Even the unemployed/retired (on Pension Credit) were given a 4.2% increase this year, all the Council staff have been offered 2.5%, even the less mathematically minded amongst us must realise that with the ever increasing cost of living the sums won't add up at the end of the month!

Cattach
19-Aug-08, 20:34
[evil] While I agree that the Union members have the right to take industrial action, I question The Authorities right to tell me My child alone (at our school) can not go to school on Wednesday. As usually he/she has a teaching assistant with him/her, yet they said at the end of last year they would be reducing his/her dependence on his/her support.

If we were to keep him/her at home it would be classed as truancy and the government can take me to court. Yet they can tell us to keep him/her at home even though I work and have had to call round today trying to sort out extra childcare at a cost to me or do I send the bill to the local council.[disgust]:(

So does this mean that should I need to take my holidays later this year within school time I don't need permission.

Nothing is ever that simple!
No school meals staff, no cleaners, no assistants but most of all no Janitor. There a matter of safety and certain people have to be there. If your child was injured or, God forbid, was badly burnt or worse in a fire and no one there to attend to all the necessary procedures you would be the first to sue the Local Authority.
Anyway you begat the child so you have more responsibility than anyone to look after him/her.

Electric blue
19-Aug-08, 20:53
It's more the point that the rest of their school mates will be at school but he/she wont be allowed to attend. Who looks after the other children.

As I said I totally agree that the auxilaries should get a good wages as ours does an excellent job above and beyond their paid duties.

Billy Boy
19-Aug-08, 21:04
Would have thought that is the whole point of the strike.. if no-one is affected what would be the point??

Please bear in mind that it is these underpaid workers who carry out public services all year round on a pathetically poor wage.

Even the unemployed/retired (on Pension Credit) were given a 4.2% increase this year, all the Council staff have been offered 2.5%, even the less mathematically minded amongst us must realise that with the ever increasing cost of living the sums won't add up at the end of the month!

Very good post lol although it will go straight over a lot of folks heads as all they can think about is me me me.................They should stop and think of the bigger picture, 1st those that strike dont get paid, if they dont strike they have to struggle on with the over inflated prices and low incomes as you said even those on benefits/pension credits got a bigger pay rise.
some have mortgages/families and other responsabilities, but hey as long as some get a second bin or their black bags lifted that's whats most important lol :roll:

mccaugm
19-Aug-08, 21:39
Im going to give them a ring as well theres 5 of us in the house and i find myself sneaking out on morning of bins to see who else has room in there bins that i can sneak my rubbish into. Bad i know but has to be done.

Up until last week we had 5 in our house (eldest left home). My bin is only about half full these days as I recycle cans, bottles, card, glass, paper and plastic. I also use the brown bin for garden waste. If the council don't pick up and your really stuck then just call them to pick it up. Its their responsibility...let them deal with it.

Tristan
19-Aug-08, 21:56
Be thankful you still have collection ever week. Down here we are rubbish one week, recycling the next. We have always tended to buy items with less packaging so we manage. The real problem can be the smell. If you trim a chicken you need to take care to cook any bits or else.

parkie
20-Aug-08, 13:33
you are spot on,they have been under paid for year,s,thank,s for your support

balto
20-Aug-08, 14:48
I agree, i also get my bin collected on a wednesday, and i usually have a full bin even with all the recycling i do, so i shall have to do trips to janetstown to get rid of my own waste, so in theory we should be able to claim back a days council tax!! since i'm not actually recieving the services that are being paid for!! but hey i know it will never happen!
can we actully take household waste to janetstown, i thought they didnt tke household waste, thought we would have to go to the landfill site

Welcomefamily
20-Aug-08, 19:16
Yes you can, now and again when I miss collection I nip it over there. They should give the lower paid staff a larger rise and a lower one to the higher paid staff.