PDA

View Full Version : ironing help??

Dadie
18-Aug-08, 11:47
I am thinking about upgrading my iron and am thinking about a steam generator one or a better steam iron if any orgers have bought a steam generator one does it reduce the ironing time and is it any good at the fiddly bits like round buttons and fancy baby clothes?
Also will I have to replace the ironing board as they have a bulky water storage container?

YummyMummy
18-Aug-08, 14:36
I've recently bought a steam generator. [For some reason I thought egyptian linen would be a good idea for my holiday home. 2 weeks in, I felt like crying!!:~(]

The Steam Generator is fantastic. Just like an ordinary iron (in shape and design), but lighter. No need to buy anything extra. I sit mine on a table beside the board - flex is long enough to stretch. Is easy to operate, just fill and go, not complicated in the slightest.

Got the philips one from Tesco - I think it was £90.

Lavenderblue2
18-Aug-08, 20:15
I would highly recommend a power steam iron Dadie. I have had a Polti steam cleaner with iron attachment for years now and it makes ironing so easy - I sail through jeans, sheets etc in a flash - do not hesitate for one minute get one with the highest bar pressure you can get.

LB

catnip
18-Aug-08, 22:20
I have had my steam generator iron for over a year now and it is the best thing ever, only have to iron one side as the steam goes right through the clothes. My one is a Russell Hobbs Steam Glide 2000 I got it from tesco and it was only £46 or something like that. Go on treat yourself and get one, it will make ironing more easier for you !

Dadie
19-Aug-08, 10:13
Is it as good on fiddly little things (baby clothes) as that is what is taking up most of the ironing time as the big items (sheets and hubbys jeans) dont make it as far as the ironing pile most of the time:lol:

catnip
19-Aug-08, 14:43
Is it as good on fiddly little things (baby clothes) as that is what is taking up most of the ironing time as the big items (sheets and hubbys jeans) dont make it as far as the ironing pile most of the time:lol:

I think it is a doddle !
It is just like a normal iron but with a strong jet of steam comming from it.
My ironing is done in half the time now as most things only require one side to be ironed as the steam generates straight through to the other side !

Lucy
26-Aug-08, 17:40
Hi Daddie

I changed to a steam generator iron about 1 year ago. i bought one of the cheaper makes from argos and the only difference i can find is that it takes a wee while longer to heat and build up steam from the expensive ones. i usually switch in on and by the time i've got the board organised, gathered clothes hangers etc its ready to use. i wouln't use anything else now. everything done in 1/2 the time and a free steam facial into the bargain. :)