PDA

View Full Version : Are you a Hunter?

wifie
17-Aug-08, 18:21
Do you go groatie buckie hunting? I had fun findin some the other night - brought back lovely childhood memories! Was amazed I still had the knack what with my grotty eyesight (age never comes alone!).

http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/3073/thursovisitaug08058lj3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
One that didn't get away! ;)

Melancholy Man
17-Aug-08, 18:26
No I'm not.

Edit - you deleted the duplicate post! That spoiled my joke.

pat
17-Aug-08, 19:21
Best place I found for them was Donegal coast!!! do they still count as Groatie Buckies?

Each time I am in Caithness will find at least one on the beach.

Munro
17-Aug-08, 19:53
When I first met my wife 48 years ago she often spoke of these magical
sea shells she collected on the seashore in Scotland, nowadays when we visit
Caithness we usually spend a half day searching for the elusive buckie, we
always seem able to find a few and the collection in our lounge always gets
comments from visitors,

cazmanian_minx
17-Aug-08, 19:57
Skimeister's mum has tins of them collected over the last 50 years!

Kenn
17-Aug-08, 20:27
He he , I have never hunted them up north but had a collection from my mispent youth in Cornwall and as they are so pretty took a couple up for a friend when visiting.
"Oh 'ats a groatie buckie. get loddsa 'em on the beaches here!"

Whitewater
17-Aug-08, 23:08
I spent many days in my distant childhood searching for them, also Mrs Whitewater and myself would take the children out for a picnic when they were young enough to have fun looking for them. It must have impressed, they now take their own children out regularly on the fine days to have a look for them.

Amy-Winehouse
18-Aug-08, 03:48
Excuse me for asking but are they the wee white shelled whelk like creatures ? Or the bigger shelled white creatures that you often see in old fishermens gardens?

wifie
18-Aug-08, 08:47
Excuse me for asking but are they the wee white shelled whelk like creatures ? Or the bigger shelled white creatures that you often see in old fishermens gardens?

I am not aware of ever having seen the creature that has lurked within the shell (which is pictured at the top) - good job or I probably would not go lookin for them! :eek:

Kenn
18-Aug-08, 22:00
It's a type of Cowrie Amy, very small usually about the size of a little finger nail if you are lucky.

unicorn
18-Aug-08, 22:46
They look like they have a deep finger print on them.

Ricco
28-Aug-08, 13:28
I still have a matchbox full from years ago. They can also be found on the beaches of Wales. Lovely thing for kids to do. If you are careful you can make some lovely jewellery as well.

AfternoonDelight
28-Aug-08, 13:31
Everytime I am at the beach I look for them. I NEVER find any.[mad]

Ahhhhhhhhh...........:~(

wifie
28-Aug-08, 14:27
Och keep trying AD - you will come at it I have a few year's experience! ;) Only a few mind you!
BTW here is a smile for you seein as you missed out on the other thread! :)

AfternoonDelight
28-Aug-08, 14:32
Wifie - you are pure gold... :)

twiglet
28-Aug-08, 16:19
I could hunt for Groatie buckies all day Wifie. Think we should make a day of it when you are here again. I have the knack and have started a Buckie collection.

wifie
28-Aug-08, 20:00
Cool twiglet - that is a date! ;) (Just dinna tell AD - he might want to join us!)