PDA

View Full Version : Would a new National Service work?

Bad Manners
17-Aug-08, 11:50
Just an idea could we do with a national service for everone who leaves school and does not have a start in either a recodnised trade or profession.
I dont mean train them for war but to be of service to the nation.
Take them to training camps give them a grounding in basic disipline,cleanliness and respect and then help train them by doing worthwhile projects for the nation. the aim would be to build their confidence to find employment after their service and to teach them to work together. Just like the origional National Service there would be training in ever field from trades to office work,Medical to Law and everthing in between at the end of their service they would have a record of their work to show to prospective employers
I know this is basic but what are your thoughts?

Welcomefamily
17-Aug-08, 12:02
Yes those good at sport go to sport colleges, those good at education universities, and the rest a National Service covering may be six months basic training followed by a time learning all areas of the Community, working with the Police, Health Service, Forces.
We should be giving Kids the opportunity to learn what the deficits of our Society cant teach them.

Bad Manners
17-Aug-08, 12:07
I think if we take them to a training camp away from home they will learn to look after themself and after a certain level is reached the would be given leave to visit friends and relitives. it would also awaken them to a world outwith their normal surroundings

Welcomefamily
17-Aug-08, 12:10
However such changes would have to go further, perhaps we should give some teachers a lesson in social reality.

Fluff
17-Aug-08, 12:13
But as with the original national service/conscription there are people who will refuse to do anything, try their best to get out of it and make others lives hard.
In theory I think it sounds fantastic.
You say it would not involve the military, but who would then give the discipline and what is classed as basic etc?
I know, I look into things too much

Bad Manners
17-Aug-08, 12:19
If it were to come to fruition it would be a disilined service as is the police, the fire service etc it can even be ex military personel but the focus would be on disipline not on military values or expectations.

Welcomefamily
17-Aug-08, 12:39
It definately needed focus on Discipline, but they need to learn some social values as well. What age group 16 to 19? or 20?

Bad Manners
17-Aug-08, 12:49
disipline and work ethic would be the key to both their and the countries future age group would be 16-18 with a view that they could stay on untill 21 on a volentry basis and instead of just giving out benifit money for no return they would recieve a higher amount comensurate with the level of achivement reached.

Welcomefamily
17-Aug-08, 12:52
Yes what about those who are ability suited to do A levels or higher education? allow it providing they reach target goals.?

Bad Manners
17-Aug-08, 13:06
the aim is to help all reach their potential in which ever field .
those that can doe highers and A levels would do so. those with acedemic asperations or ability would benifit by finding the best path that will give them the better future. It would not suit everbody but would hopefully give a chance to those at 16-18 who are convinced they cant get employment or choose not to as they get money for no return under the present system.
there are too many youngster who have nothing to look forward to. We have very few apprentices in the trades and we are loosing our skills base.
If we dont keep our skills alive we will all be part time shelf stackers at a local super store. ( not that there is anything wrong with that its just that some dont get the chance to anything different)

Welcomefamily
17-Aug-08, 14:40
I now totally agree, we are losing skills but likewise just getting into the habit of working is a good thing, create some self esteem.

Bad Manners
17-Aug-08, 14:58
We know of two people (names withheld to protect the guilty) who are now in late teens and early twenty's and who have no intention of getting a job. One has slipped through the education net and while quite capabile with their hands has no acedemic skills so therefore cannot articulate himself at interviews . result no job resigned to the fact he Might get a job labouring when they build the new tesco.
The other has sevral jobs all for short periods of time but has not stuck with anything because the pay peanuts. They expect a job that will pay in excess of £30 thou per annum but they have no skill base to work from
result has settled for life on the dole with handout wherever poss.
both of these people thing the world owes them. when I asked what have you given back to the world there answer is they dont have to they didnt ask to be here.
They are not on there own the are just the tip of a very big iceberg if nothing gets done it will just get worse.
they need to learn they feeling of achiving something for themself and that the world only owes them what they put in.
The only thing I missed was to learn to spell properly.
but that hassent stopped me in achiving what i have so far