PDA

View Full Version : steam bending wood

router
16-Aug-08, 22:32
does anyone have any experience of steam bending wood,tried it today.built a steam box and gave the wood about 2hrs,the wood is 1/2" by 3" temp was 100c all the time it was in.from what i have read a lot is down to experiment to get times and temp right but don't have the time or wood to spend on it .
looking for some pointers.

Bad Manners
17-Aug-08, 10:04
It all depends on the type of wood as each species has a diferent structure, some bend easier than others. Beech is a very good wood for bending.
then you have to get the timing right and when you bend it has to be done quite quickly and be clamped up before it loses its heat and flexibility.
hope this is of some help

northener
30-Aug-08, 19:57
This link will give you a pretty comprehensive overview.

http://www.shoal.net.au/~woodcraft1/articles/timberbending.html

router
31-Aug-08, 23:45
This link will give you a pretty comprehensive overview.

http://www.shoal.net.au/~woodcraft1/articles/timberbending.html

thanks,though i have read this one along with loads others,i will have to keep at it as it seems that it is down to trial and error over wood type thickness time etc.will keep trying though

skimeister
12-Sep-08, 13:25
'Router' - Can you tell me how you made up your box? I would be very interested in carrying out something like that myself?

Ta - Ski

router
13-Sep-08, 12:08
i just built a simple 4ft oblong box with 1/2 inch thick planks.closed of at one end,the other end has a hinged lid which screws shut with a hole in it to take the pipe from a wallpaper stripper.i put blocks at each end on the bottom(inside)to support the wood.it doesn't have to be totally sealed as you want the steam to flow through the box,i put a small whole at opposite end end of inlet to allow for this.though i found that this wasn't long enough for the peice i was trying to do,i needed wood about 6 foot to allow for leverage in bending cos although the steam softens the wood it is still pretty tight to bend unless you have arms like Arnie