PDA

View Full Version : Kitten!

Dadie
16-Aug-08, 18:57
We have arranged to get a kitten in 3 weeks time when it will be 8 weeks old. I chose a boy cat as that is what we had as kids but I cannot remember when is the earliest you can get the cat castrated but the 1st port of call will be jabs and wormer.

Can anyone give me a rough timetable of the jabs/ worming/snip and a rough idea of the cost please.

ps my mum thinks we are mad to get a cat as we have 2 small children.

JammyDodger69
16-Aug-08, 19:40
hi

its perfectly ok to get kittens or cats with children. i've got three kids and three cats.
we got two of our cats about 7mnths ago and they came from a farm and were wild, now they are the friendliest cats i've ever seen, they've never once scratched or bitten. one of them sits on my 7mnth old's feet and just rolls over when he gets kicked, he's a big softy.
i've got 2 male cats, they are now about 8 or 9 months old and look as if they are fully developed so are probably ready to be castrated. i just wormed mine as soon as i got them, which was when they were between 8 and 12 wks. they've never actually been vaccinated. i've had cats for years and they've all only been wormed, flea collared and castrated, they never needed vacinated...although i know some people will dissagree.

sarah

Dadie
16-Aug-08, 20:01
Lauren is 2 and Iona is 13 weeks old so my kids are little too!

Bet the kitten is the easiest to "potty train" though!

brandy
16-Aug-08, 22:11
weve always had the cats done at 6 mnths. the vet recomended to wait until they were mature. we are waiting for bubbles to have her second season before she is dressed as wanting to make sure she is fully matured.

Dadie
18-Aug-08, 10:19
I want to get the kitten done as soon as its possible to do the op as I dont want him to be out roaming the streets for a lady cat or getting into trouble fighting and spraying in the house and I do not want him adding to the unwanted kittens needing a home situation!

Hopefully he will just want to be a housecat going out to the loo and back in again, he will be kept in at night.

Dadie
24-Sep-08, 10:41
yippee
Lauren and Frodo (the kitten) havent managed to kill each other yet:lol:

He is settling in well....taking over the place.....using his littertray without any accidents...telling Poppy dog who is boss!

Typical cat!

ellimac
24-Sep-08, 16:46
Hi

I have two female cat's and I took them to the vets for there jag's etc when we first got them and I asked when would the soonest we could get them done and they said when they are 5-6 months, but preferable the latter, so I would think it would be the same for male cat's.....................:Razz

balto
24-Sep-08, 20:24
we have 3 cats and 3 children, plus another on the way, and we have never had a problem with the cats and the kids.

luskentyre
24-Sep-08, 20:49
I want to get the kitten done as soon as its possible to do the op as I dont want him to be out roaming the streets for a lady cat or getting into trouble fighting and spraying in the house and I do not want him adding to the unwanted kittens needing a home situation!

For those very reasons, you mustn't let the kitten out of the house until it's been neutered.

balto
24-Sep-08, 20:53
We have arranged to get a kitten in 3 weeks time when it will be 8 weeks old. I chose a boy cat as that is what we had as kids but I cannot remember when is the earliest you can get the cat castrated but the 1st port of call will be jabs and wormer.

Can anyone give me a rough timetable of the jabs/ worming/snip and a rough idea of the cost please.

ps my mum thinks we are mad to get a cat as we have 2 small children.
i had all my cats done, but for the life of me cant think what age they had to be, but like yourself i didnt want to add to the amount of unwanted kittens that there are.

purplelady
24-Sep-08, 22:55

Hopefully he will just want to be a housecat going out to the loo and back in again, he will be kept in at night.
had our male cat done at 6 months stops them spraying too if you get them done early enough speak to your vet but am sure he will do it at 6 months x

teenybash
24-Sep-08, 23:02
Neutered as soon as little nodules appear and you won't have trouble with the pesky spraying...........He will be over it in a flash.:)

mccaugm
24-Sep-08, 23:03
I had two cats before I had my first child, I was warned that the cats might smother my baby. In fact, my cat Arnie (Arnold Schwartnegger don't ask), was protective and would guard his pram jealously if anyone came near my son. He did used to climb into the pram occasionally but only if my son was not there. The other cat just ignored the baby.

Dadie
25-Sep-08, 11:33
oh well at least I now know what Frodos christmas pressie will be (he will be 6 months by then)
Cant hang his baubles on the tree though:eek:

ks
26-Sep-08, 22:37
For those very reasons, you mustn't let the kitten out of the house until it's been neutered.

He will not be sexually matured before 6 months anyway so it is safe enough to let him out before that. It is a shame to keep him in until then, assuming that you are going to be letting him out.