PDA

View Full Version : Pink Starlings

kas
16-Aug-08, 18:25
A friend saw what he called 2 starlings with pink bellies in the Bilbster area. These are Rose-coloured Starlings, so be sure to let us know if anyone else sees one. There was also one at Skarfskerry in July, which I missed as I was away. Never seen one myself but would be thrilled to see one.

http://www.birdguides.com/species/species.asp?sp=164077

exothermic
18-Aug-08, 19:58
I haven't seen ones like the pictures in your link, but did see what looked like a thrush with a pink (mottled as though a juvenile) chest! Really odd. It looked like a cross between a robin and a thrush, but thrush sized and thrush dominant coloring.
This was near Rumster.

Kenn
18-Aug-08, 21:12
I am now wondering if the bird that I saw either 28 or 29th of July whilst traveling through East Mey on route to Thurso could possibly be the same thing.
Very distinctive markings, rather like a Magpie but smaller and with a shorter tail,it was wandering about with a few starlings in a freshly cut silage field.
It was n't until I saw this post that the cogs started whirring,well creaking!
I know that Magpies have not reached the far north as yet but at the time that was my immediate reaction until I sat dowm and thought about it as it seemed considerably smaller.
Oh well will have to put that one into the miscellaneous file as hubby does not appreciate me shouting "Pull over,stop!", when he's in a queue of traffic.

Venture
19-Aug-08, 01:05
A friend saw what he called 2 starlings with pink bellies in the Bilbster area. These are Rose-coloured Starlings, so be sure to let us know if anyone else sees one. There was also one at Skarfskerry in July, which I missed as I was away. Never seen one myself but would be thrilled to see one.

http://www.birdguides.com/species/species.asp?sp=164077

Thank goodness for your post about these birds kas. I now know I wasn't seeing things. I saw these birds between Haster and Wick about three weeks ago on the grass verge. I thought at first it was robins but they seemed bigger and the colouring was lighter than a robin. Certainly beats seeing pink elephants