PDA

View Full Version : sleep

katarina
21-Dec-05, 00:37
any one got any ideas of how to fight insomnia without drugs?

hereboy
21-Dec-05, 00:39
sort oot whatever it is thats botherin ye....

clear conscience = good nights sleep

Jeid
21-Dec-05, 02:27
The answer to this question has been somewhat elusive for the past few years for me. Its not always that something is on your mind. Sometimes your just not ready to sleep. Exercise is supposed to help.

Mind you, with spelling like that hereboy, I'm surprised you can sleep at all.

Lianachan
21-Dec-05, 02:33
any one got any ideas of how to fight insomnia without drugs?

With the complements of Google: http://www.pioneerthinking.com/naturalsleep.html

hereboy
21-Dec-05, 03:03
Sometimes your just not ready to sleep. .....
Mind you, with spelling like that hereboy, I'm surprised you can sleep at all.

You might be right - don't you mean "sometimes you're just not ready to sleep" are you an insomniac too?

although to be honest- in my case its mostly my conscience...

Whitewater
21-Dec-05, 11:21
Katarina exercise is good, just go to bed with your hubby and have a good work out, it works wonders.

kas
21-Dec-05, 11:48
Yoga is very good.

valentine
21-Dec-05, 17:12
hi
try a little lavender oil on a hanky tucked in your pillow, it never fails for my son.

squidge
21-Dec-05, 17:16
Lavender for me too.

A book, a glass of hot milk, a peaceful and quiet evening - those help me to sleep even if im worried

MadPict
21-Dec-05, 17:46
Acupuncture?
My local Osteopath does acupuncture and their Acupuncturist has just written a study paper on insomnia and acupucture.

sassylass
21-Dec-05, 18:21
Yoga works wonders, as does a hot bath, or a cup of warm milk. Lavender oil is soothing and chamomile tea works too, however be cautious when using herbs if you have any allergies. Trust me on that caveat.

katarina
21-Dec-05, 21:27
thanks for all your suggestions - and by the way, I do have a clear conscience! I've already tried a lot of your remedies, but not all.

htwood
21-Dec-05, 21:37
A handful of dried hops in a cloth bag under your pillow works great. Lavender is good too. -H

abalone
21-Dec-05, 23:08
hi
try a little lavender oil on a hanky tucked in your pillow, it never fails for my son.

I use this too,also geranium oil.If lack of sleep is more than say a couple of nights a week then try the herb Valerian.

Liz
21-Dec-05, 23:35
I use Valerian Easy Sleep which you get from www.nutricentre.com and also sprinkle Lavender Oil on my pillow.

Hope you find something which helps as it's awful not getting a good night's sleep!:(

Drutt
21-Dec-05, 23:39
Melatonin supplements. The only problem is that they're not licensed in this country, so you'd need to get it from the US.

hereboy
22-Dec-05, 01:33
thanks for all your suggestions - and by the way, I do have a clear conscience! I've already tried a lot of your remedies, but not all.

when my conscince gets too much, I have this wee purple tube, I thinks its from The Body Shop, you squeeze out some and rub it on your earlobes and belly apparently and it makes you sleep... its called sleep time or sleep easy or something like that.

Only use a little though... I woke up once with the lidless tube in one hand and the other hand on my earlobe...

Niall Fernie
22-Dec-05, 11:42
I used to suffer this all the time, weeks would pass and I would only have had a few hours sleep, my cure is to stop trying to get to sleep. :eek:

If I go to bed and can't sleep, I just get up and keep myself up for that night and usually the next night also. I do some work on Caithness.Org, surf the net, do some washing, drink plenty of coffee, etc etc. Watching TV is not an option as it does not really drain the brain that much. By the third night I am a zombie and getting to sleep is no problem. I find this method resets my sleep pattern and I'm fine for months afterwards.

daviddd
22-Dec-05, 12:21
for me, sleeplessness is usually caused by worrying about something, so stopping yourself from worrying is the cure e.g. by deliberately shutting out thoughts by meditating or concentrating 'on nothing' - keeping a blank mind - it can be done with practice.

Also, if I wake in the night I often can't get back to sleep easily so I recall the most recent dream I had and put myslef back in it - just thinking about the dream often gets me off to sleep again (especially good if it was an enjoyable dream (;->).

If all this fails I get up, have a cup of tea, go to the loo, have a read for an hour, and this diminishes the worry and gets be back on track. I sometimes sleep in a different place (same house!!) and find this can help too.

To prepare for sleep I should have had some exercise, fresh air, and not been concentrating on something technical or, say, doing a puzzle before going to bed - something quiet and relaxing is best last thing.

Lastly, although one tipple before bed might help, any more than that will probably cause you to wake up in the middle of the night and not get off again!