PDA

View Full Version : council tax

nicnak
20-Dec-05, 17:55
what do you thinks your council tax is spent on? and do you think what it is spent on is fair and right?

William
21-Dec-05, 00:23
I am to 100% sure at all what do they spend it on i have to pay £87 something a month but for what? i think some of it is for waste and water disposal but what about the rest?

jjc
21-Dec-05, 00:51
http://www.highland.gov.uk/fin/revenues/ctaxforms/ctbooklet2005-2006.pdf

theone
21-Dec-05, 01:11
I'm just dreading to see the rise over the next couple of years to pay for this new recycling lorry and its crew!

Tugmistress
21-Dec-05, 01:21
well i will admit i haven't looked at the link jjc provided, but what gets me is i have to walk my bin down the lane (about 200yds) as the lorry doesn't come up (though in truth i can't blame it, he would have to reverse back down) but we didn't get any of the extra bin things for recycling like the rest of the village. once in a while it would be nice to go to work on a thursday and not have to remember to take the bin all that way first (reduces my coffee time in a morning lol):p

Rheghead
21-Dec-05, 02:12
I'm just dreading to see the rise over the next couple of years to pay for this new recycling lorry and its crew!

It may pay for itself if companies like Coca cola will pay top dollar for nicely sorted cans, paper etc.

It takes 10% of the electricity to melt aluminium cans than it would to extract it from Bauxite (aluminium ore), worth paying for I'd say, we just needed to do our bit to sort it out.

Less landfill costs, less energy and paid to boot. Council Tax will be going down not up, well here's hoping...:rolleyes:

Chillie
21-Dec-05, 02:59
It may pay for itself if companies like Coca cola will pay top dollar for nicely sorted cans, paper etc.

It takes 10% of the electricity to melt aluminium cans than it would to extract it from Bauxite (aluminium ore), worth paying for I'd say, we just needed to do our bit to sort it out.

Less landfill costs, less energy and paid to boot. Council Tax will be going down not up, well here's hoping...:rolleyes:

10% of what? What is the total cost of extracting Bauxite anyway, and why should we pay for it twice? Coca Cola has made millions if not billions of profit, the price of the can is included in our purchase price,then we have to pay pounds on our council tax to support them making more money.

If they,Coca Cola or any other large Company want their can's, paper, oil,tyre's etc back let them provide the lorrie's and pay the staff directly and ease the burden on the council's that are already under- funded for the more important things in our life like education , policeing, transport and the future of our kids.

Bye the way council tax and energy(Take Gas for eg) will never go down but upppppppppppp.:(

Rheghead
21-Dec-05, 12:41
10% of what?
Energy of original extraction

What is the total cost of extracting Bauxite anyway, and why should we pay for it twice?
250 gigajoules per tonne, We won't be paying for the energy twice if we can recycle our cans. Please make note that I said OUR cans not Coca Cola's

Coca Cola has made millions if not billions of profit, the price of the can is included in our purchase price,then we have to pay pounds on our council tax to support them making more money{...}If they,Coca Cola or any other large Company want their can's, paper, oil,tyre's etc back let them provide the lorrie's and pay the staff directly and ease the burden on the council's that are already under- funded for the more important things in our life like education , policeing, transport and the future of our kids.

Sorry Dumbo, canna see e logic there.
Irrespective of what Coca Cola will make in profit, that is nothing to do with you or me, the recycling facilities should be selfsustaining in cost if not profitable if it is fully supported by the public. Anyway, if Coca Cola can save money on production costs then they may make their drinks cheaper.
If every company provided its own recycling facility then we would be in Big trouble with traffic.

Bye the way council tax and energy(Take Gas for eg) will never go down but upppppppppppp.:(

If we don't get involved with recycling yes! :)

Thinking about it, I should have used Barr Drinks as an example to appeal to the homegrown sensitivity...

nicnak
21-Dec-05, 16:28
well thanks for the link jjc I had a look and was amazed at the bit that they call essential services! Why be amazed you may ask - well this week i heard that the council is disposing of waste from stables if you are a local resident. All you apparently do is put all the waste and straw?shavings etc in black bags next to your bin and the council will pick it up for you! Needless to say I think that this is an abuse of the system and certainly not an essential service. Not only a waste of our money but also a health risk to the bin men I would have thought . Whats your thoughts???

Rheghead
21-Dec-05, 16:39
There are plans to have an animal waste to energy scheme in caithness.

nicnak
21-Dec-05, 16:45
Thats all well and good but its not happening now and we are paying because other people are too lazy to be responsible for their own animals waste! I wionder what would happen if all the farmers put their animals waste out for the bin ??

jjc
21-Dec-05, 18:03
well thanks for the link jjc I had a look and was amazed at the bit that they call essential services! Ah, I had a sneaky suspicion that you started this thread with something to get off your chest. Glad I could help.

Why be amazed you may ask No, I really didn’t.

well this week i heard that the council is disposing of waste from stables if you are a local resident. […] I think that this is an abuse of the system and certainly not an essential service. Not only a waste of our money but also a health risk to the bin men I would have thought . Whats your thoughts??? Hmm… What are my thoughts on this?

Well, the council disposes of nearly 150,000 tonnes of waste every year, so I guess my first thought would be to wonder just what percentage of that waste we’re talking about here.

My next thought would be that I cannot find any policy documents relating to this on the council’s website. Is it policy or does your mate with a stable just put his waste out each week and hope that it’s gone when he gets back from work? If it is policy, are we talking about a standard collection, or a ‘bulky uplift’? If we’re talking about a bulky uplift then the same service is available to any local resident within the guidelines set out here (http://www.highland.gov.uk/prots/community/bulky-uplift.htm)and you don’t seem to be complaining about people having their old cookers and their hedge-trimmings collected.

I’m also feeling the vague tinglings of a thought… something about the health risks that horse manure might pose. Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure the stuff is hazardous; but then so are disposable nappies, broken glass, rotting food, razor blades, old knives, the contents of litter boxes – the list really could go on and on and on. Where items are considered to be more hazardous than usual (such as sheet glass) there are conditions placed on their uplift.

My final thought is this: You don’t like horses much, do you?

unicorn
21-Dec-05, 18:10
I personally had to find somewhere on a farm to dispose of my rabbit waste as have many exhibitors in the UK as it is not counted as household rubbish and it doesn't go in the recycleable waste so I beg to differ that we are all lazy.

nicnak
21-Dec-05, 18:19
First of all JJC I actually love horses and several myself and wouldnt be without them what i object to is my disposing of the waste sensibly and responsibly without cost to anyone else (with a lot of backache and baths!) when others just put there waste out for the bin man I have to pay for it to be disposed of.
Secondly Unicorn I was not insuating that all pet keepers are lazy and I apologize if it came across that way
nicnak

unicorn
21-Dec-05, 18:26
I personally cannot understand the council taking that kind of waste as I know when I was going to the skip with it, before I found somewhere to dispose of it if I had an extra bag midweek I couldn't have put it out with my household rubbish. I have not checked if it is accepted since the recycling plant was opened but was told by others that their councils are classing it as toxic waste and people are having real problems disposing of waste and a few have given up their rabbits due to this. Also the thought of many was to burn it but you are not allowed to do this in built up areas so what exactly are you supposed to do with it if you cannot find a friendly farmer who will let you use a small area of his ground??

figgy
21-Dec-05, 18:28
Hi jjc - your last reply was absolutely brilliant (you are very astute indeed, especially with your last comment). You are quite right that horse manure is nothing in the bigger scheme of household waste, and yes, residents are allowed to arrange for a "Bulky Lift" with their local council - a very good service indeed - in order for this kind of waste to be removed.

It is quite in order and quite correct to be disposing of horse manure in this way, and is far from "being lazy" since the waste is collected, and the bags are filled, entirely by hand.

Finally, if a local council has an agreed service, then why moan about who exactly pays for it any more than any other council service? I think that is their decision, and thankfully so.

jjc
21-Dec-05, 19:53
…others just put there waste out for the bin man I have to pay for it to be disposed of. And Figgy has confirmed what I suspected – this is a ‘bulky uplift’.

You can arrange for a bulky uplift for all manner of things: old furniture, old appliances, garden waste, in fact anything so long as it doesn’t appear on the published list of prohibited items. Yet you are only complaining about people who use this service for disposing of horse manure. Why is that?

There are limits to the amount of waste you can have collected as a bulky uplift – ten bags. Anybody who wants to have more than the ten-bag limit collected is offered a choice: they can pay for the additional uplift at cost or they can take their waste to a civic amenity site. That each household is limited to ten bags should give you a hand working out what kind of volume we are talking about here.

So how much do you think you are paying for these uplifts? I’ll be generous and allow you to give the total for the year (the number might seem higher that way).

katarina
21-Dec-05, 21:32
well thanks for the link jjc I had a look and was amazed at the bit that they call essential services! Why be amazed you may ask - well this week i heard that the council is disposing of waste from stables if you are a local resident. All you apparently do is put all the waste and straw?shavings etc in black bags next to your bin and the council will pick it up for you! Needless to say I think that this is an abuse of the system and certainly not an essential service. Not only a waste of our money but also a health risk to the bin men I would have thought . Whats your thoughts???

When we kept horses, local gardeners were just too happy to come and help themselves to the manure. We never had a problem getting rid of the stuff. In fact I know people who sold it, so why do we need the bin men to take it?

abalone
21-Dec-05, 22:57
When we kept horses, local gardeners were just too happy to come and help themselves to the manure. We never had a problem getting rid of the stuff. In fact I know people who sold it, so why do we need the bin men to take it?

I too thought horse manure was a much sought after commodity for gardeners.Where I live you have to buy it,no-one would give it away.Also old appliances and furniture have a charge to be taken away. We have a black bin for normal household waste,a green bin for paper, cans,tins and some plastics like lemonade bottles and a blue box for glass.I cleared about ten old demi-johns out of my garage and put in the box.Last week when I was in a hardware store I saw they were £4-50 each.I should have put them on e-bay.

nicnak
21-Dec-05, 23:08
Well if this is classed as a bulky uplift I think it is an abuse of the council service, I too think there are a lot better ways of disposing of it, all I was commenting on is the waste of council tax money!
We too give our horse muck away as you know it is very useful for gardeners.
JJC i was not just complaining about the disposal of horse manure this was just one of the wastes of money that came to mind I can completely understand the council taking bulky items every now and again from households but cleanings from peoples stables every week no! If it was a second hand shop or a home throwing out a cooker every week they would be charged for this service so what is the difference???

Peach
21-Dec-05, 23:25
Some of you are really missing the point here. Despite keeping horses yourselves, you completely forget that some types of bedding are unsuitable to be given away as fertiliser. It is also completely acceptable for the council to remove this type of waste - you can check with them if you are so inclined. I think it is an excellent way to dispose of horse manure if it cannot be sold for fertiliser and no one is willing to take it away.

Quote from 'Representing the Highlands' Highland Council November 2005 newspaper: "DON'T DUMP YOUR WASTE IN THE COUNTRYSIDE. WE HAVE A FREE BULKY UPLIFT SERVICE WHICH CAN BE ARRANGED BY CALLING YOUR LOCAL SERVICE POINT."

jjc
21-Dec-05, 23:35
We too give our horse muck away as you know it is very useful for gardeners. That’s very good of you – delivering the manure, I mean.

You do delivery, don’t you? I assume you do because you criticised those who would bag manure for the bin men as lazy, but if you don’t deliver your manure then all you are doing is bagging it for collection of a different type… which would make you just as lazy.

i was not just complaining about the disposal of horse manure Actually, that is the only thing that you have complained about…

If it was a second hand shop or a home throwing out a cooker every week they would be charged for this service so what is the difference??? Well, I think it best that we ignore the ‘second-hand shop’ example as businesses are charged for the disposal of all of their waste.

So, moving on… so long as the homeowner arranged the bulky uplift of their cooker through the proper channels each week they would not be charged for the service.

So you tell me, what is the difference?

Peach
21-Dec-05, 23:44
JJC,
Great posting.
I agree with all your points entirely.
It's sad when people whinge on about petty little things when there are so many proper issues going on, isn't it?

unicorn
22-Dec-05, 14:30
Am I the only person to have been negative feedbacked in this post with moan moan moan??? by a user who has a red reputation??

figgy
22-Dec-05, 14:35
Really, Unicorn? I don't know how many have had negative feedback, but it is very ironic coming from someone with a poor reputation, isn't it?! Those types are always the worst losers tho'!

unicorn
22-Dec-05, 14:40
It actually made me laugh :) and that was nice on such a wet damp day :)

Niall Fernie
22-Dec-05, 16:57
As I've already stated to both parties here (figgy, peach & nicnak), using this forum to take cheap shots at your neighbours will result in everyone involved being banned from the forum altogether.